New Old Bass...

CoolCat

I traded a few things laying around for this yesterday.
I liked the looks, then the reviews were all great online from bass players and owners.
Peavey Fury USA version. Someone did a cool blue stress job on it and added the thumb rest.
Traded a couple mini-strats for it.

My impressions at first plays nice, maple neck, low action. Its in good shape for a 30yr old! It has training sticker dots on the neck so likely wasnt played out side much. Tuned and no fret buzz, frets are like new actually.

The first gen Fury had a cursive logo, this is Modern block logo that followed, however considered First Gen sometimes due to being US made and doesnt have the Fury II logo. Early-ish 90-93. A P-Bass pickup configuration. I think they came in red, black, white originally, this was a red one per the persons old pics. I like the blue better...

Attachments

• Fury hs.jpg
    Fury hs.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 14
  • Fury Bass.jpeg
    Fury Bass.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 29
I like that. Looks like my old P-bass - same color too.

Ive had a rosewood for decades, Squier E/Korean Jazz, but this maples nice.

While having GAS I got a few sticks in the fire for deals...tomorrow I'll go get another bass.
I'll probably get an "F" for my Dave Ramsey Financial Debt Free class ...but some of the deals lately have been really decent in Jan/Feb 2018.

Ive had a rosewood for decades, Squier E/Korean Jazz, but this maples nice.

It's harder wood, and it's easier to bend strings. That and the appearance are why I prefer maple.

I've blown my budget for the year. I'm waiting for a deal to pop up on a new 50's Classic Strat (maple) I want. If it goes on sale I'll blow my budget for next year.

Does your Dave Ramsey Financial Debt Free class grade lower than "F" ? :p

I love peavey basses. One of the best bang
for the buck out there.
congrats!

Last edited:
that Warren Huat dude likes the Peavey bass too. It is a good size and feel, havent had time yet to get too involved.
dang.. tomorrow at 4- another bass to get. lol ... I had another mint Squier for $80 too and was thinking grab a set of pickups and beef it up for fun. tinkering around is as much fun as playing sometimes.

if you buy pickups to upgrade the squier I highly recommend the EMG Geezer Butler signature set. I have a set in a project P bass and they sound awsome!

They are 100 bucks for a set, but they come with the tone and volume pots. The wires all clip in and no soldering is required!

yeah like this!
my earlier post was lost or timed out....but I was thinking this morning, the P-Bass is the best for upgrading due to the one-piece pickguard in theory?
the Jazz is two pieces and the one I worked on that didnt have a pickguard, raw wood, I mangled up pretty badly when the pickups were slightly off size (P-bass into a Ibanez or something?)...it looks like shit, but works.

the P-Bass looks great, no soldering sounds even better. I'd probably get a Switchcraft plug for $2 though, a main failure part , so put in the best.

Attachments

• Geezer pups.png
    Geezer pups.png
    335.8 KB · Views: 6
ok I went and checked this one out and bought it too.... It was near mint, $300 for a Fender JP90. $50 case...
its like new and supposedly professionally setup, but to be honest the Peavey feels better to me....subjective preferences,? but the Fender strings are higher and possibly the gauges heavier. Still its such good shape and frets like new and maybe resale motivated?

I guess this was a short run, Jazz bass like neck , Jazz & Precision pickups..Rosewood neck, US.. (is rosewood to be a valued wood? now that Fenders switching to other woods)

Shocked.. I waited in GC and noticed the Fender US Bass guitars hitting $1900 and $1600 and $1500...I was a bit in shock.
Ill admit the $1900 Fender US bass prices got me thinking money$$resale%% and to grab this US Fender for $300...its not the famous two fenders, but still, its pretty damn cool and rare, has that Logo Lust thing going.... I figure if a 2018 is $1600 this is worth at least $750 considering MIM are now $624. And a old school case included.

you can feel the vibe...and smell the velvet... ah

Attachments

• Feder jp90.jpg
    Feder jp90.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180222_200108.jpg
    20180222_200108.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Feder JP90.jpg
    Feder JP90.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 5
  • FederJP90 pups.jpg
    FederJP90 pups.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 7
ok... picked up the bass Squier Precision Bass...and $20 soft case for $100 cash.
absolute mint condition, not played and etcc.etc.. Im sure theres a lot of these in closets.

I dont know maybe somethings off with me but this thing plays better than the US one and is just fine out of the box. I couldnt find anything wrong with the paint, the single ply pickguard, the neck, nothing? Shouldnt there be a bunch of bad crap on a $100 guitar? Maybe I dont have the finesse to tell?

The dimensions on the Squiers are the same as the MIM and US and others. Some issues with swapping parts seems to be mentioned between them all. The woods and metals supposedly much cheaper ont he Squiers, but I dont know?

This one is a 2008, so it has "real" Rosewood and not the replacement PauFerro wood. Its kind of cool having a P and a J neck around.

Dang I dont know? if this is $100 off craigslist vs a new US for $2100 including tax... I can find a US case for $75...$175.
Upgrade the pickups for $100 (with strings and pots)....$275 theres a new guitar...maybe put on a new decal...Fender Squier Geezer Mod P-bass- Mod'd in Texas? add a heavy metal Switchcraft jack for $2

Im thinking the CNC and robots and lines have gotten so good now, its confusing. I didnt even feel sharp fret wires or anything. Its not hand rolled, but thats easy to do too.

$450 for 3 basses and a US Fender hard case. Still not a bad month in used gear land.

Attachments

• Squier P Bass.png
    Squier P Bass.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 4
'Kay, it's time for you to put the computer down and back away slowly before you start spending the food money on more basses:spank:

lol...yeah Im about Bass'd out.
ive got food covered. im in the early stages of post parenting, Oct 2017 was the first time in 27+yrs no one is on my check anymore. My youngest in her own job etc.. So yeah now Im toggling between in bipolar mode of having fun or going Dave Ramsey(radio show finance dude who says live on rice and beans, do nothing except pay off stuff until the house is paid off..then you win) ...so yeah this has been a Bass Bender...haha

Im part pawnshop too, so always enjoy spinning and making a buck and fishing for different pieces of gear.
I figure the US JP90 would be the big fish to sell. Its Fender US in excellent closet shape, probably could make $400 profit if I am patient...like fishing? Ive got $300 in it, so if sold at $600 is not a bad profit and a great price considering the current insane US prices and even MIM are ridiculous.

Probably give the sons band the Peavey, get RoadWorn for real, and is frkn ready to play.

I like tinkering and the Squier Precision could be fun for modding, and compliment my 30yr old Squier Jazz beauty. :guitar:

How many bass guitars does a HR dude need?

Well there probably is some sort of upper limit for us non wealthy types but I cant really say there is such a thing as "too many" Then again I would need more room to get more stuff anyway. soo...:rolleyes:

Ive spent an entire day on bass playing, and some tech work.

To be honest I cant get the JP90 to work for me, it feels clunky and its in as good a shape as it will get. All set up to specs.
I dont understand why I dont like it...

the Peavey Fury amazes me. Im gobsmacked how good it is in smooth neck, up and down with no issues. Wow, Im a fanboy now for Furys.
low action , hard to describe personal tastes? ...wow...after comparing and playing the JB90 US for hours trying to like it, then picked up the Fury and it just felt like a $2,000 axe.

the Squier P-bass is great, its a much thicker neck etc..etc.. its a p-bass.

Ive heard people like the Fury and I always kind of never thought much of it. This one came up in a trade up, so what a nice surprise.
Definitely keeping this one.

Well there probably is some sort of upper limit for us non wealthy types but I cant really say there is such a thing as "too many" Then again I would need more room to get more stuff anyway. soo...:rolleyes:

guitar hangars for the ceiling!!... have a wall like guitar center!?

bass's or guitars? dobros and mandolins? a fiddle or a violin? or are they the same thing....

well 2 and half walls...the half walls probably needs to get finished when you have time and some cash to blow.

on the flip side the investment is better than had you bought Enron stock.

basses 3, one mandolin. I cant keep track of the guitars anymore. they're like little kids. I find them all over the house:guitar:

its crazy...cant keep track. I swap stuff out so much sometimes the year flys by and cant keep track.
2015-16 ? was preamp year...18 starting out bass year.

Im a internet youtube and forum trained, or untrained depending on results, but the Bass setup is strange.

I have 2qty I really like, Fury and my old Squier, both low action and very little height at the 12th too, very flat and low all the way.
The Squier P is close and spent all day on the American Fender JP90.
I didnt want to bother the nut so I put some shims in the heel. 20 too much and the bridge saddles wouldnt get there.
So <10 not enough the other way.
Ending on 15 mills and its close, but still not as "flat" as the Fury&Squier Korea axes?

Using Fender specs everything is good, but the Fender American JP90 still seems less flat from the nut to the bridge.
Intonations good too.
got sidetracked watching Dan Erlewine videos, damn he is way up there in skills.

any way, maybe its something else? like Brain subliminal preference? the two I like have the polished necks too maybe that makes it feel better. The JP90 has the Rosewood, natural feel and its never been played much in 30 yrs obviously because of the shape its in.

someone mentioned the term Angle of the neck and that doesnt seem to show up when measuring the string saddles to the Jazz pickup, thay are all fairly close in height within 1 mil.

when I pull on the end of the neck towards me, the string height seems to get a little better from nut to saddle string height.
maybe adding 1 or 2mil shims at a time can "fine tune it".

most people probably wouldnt care and just gig, haha im probably just some nut with a steel ruler?

maybe some guitars just come off the factory floor with beautiful action, setup...so it seems.
I havent done anything to my old Squeir and the Peavey Fury was a junk trade but it plays all the way down to the 12th+ too, imo, the perfect setup?

You ever notice some basses you have to play hard, almost fight it , like a workout and others are almost like a 6string guitar, easy to play, no effort, no muscle needed. weird.

I guess like guitar setups, Stevie Ray Vaughn had the strings a mile in the air so he could beat the hell out of them, and maybe the other style is to have the strings so low a slight touch is desired.... amazing what a few millinches can do.

mandolin, boogie with stu

took apart the JP90 Fender for shims and saw what might be the laziest signature ever.

kind of funny...

Attachments

• Fender JP90 sig.png
    Fender JP90 sig.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 4
Back