Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The New New Tone Thread

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's an experiment I did a couple of years back. The song is called Crop Circles and is currently up at the Mp3Clinic. The song has a lot of layering of guitars. I was looking for an ethereal vibe and playing with tap tempos and note subdivisions on my TC Electronics Flashback, which was new to me at the time.

Best I can remember, these clips were recorded with a Les Paul and an SG through my Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. I had the Flashback in the FX loop of the amp. One of the stereo returns from the pedal was going back into the amp, while the other return was going directly to a track in Reaper. I was miking the cab to a second track in Reaper, panned opposite.

Results were weird, but seemed to fit into this particular song. The direct signal from the delay pedal has a tinny tone (and might be clipping in one or two places... ), but since it's on a separate track I can blend it lower. There were some strange oscillations between the delays on the two tracks.

Here are several clips then an excerpt from the song to show how they blend into the full mix.

Anyway, interesting experiment. I haven't done it since, but it might be worth refining. Definitely would want to get a better tone on direct signal coming from the delay pedal. I wonder if a direct box would help.

Crops Circles Guitar Tones.mp3 - Google Drive

Thanks
    Some of the parts sound a bit muffled, some sound a bit distorted and fizzy, but the whole sounds wonderful. It just shows it's not the parts, but the sum of the parts that count.
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Telecaster and Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18

I auditioned the Tubemeister 18 for a cleanish rhythm part of a song. Here's the result.

The meister has a different voice from that of the Mesa 5:25 that I've been using a lot lately. It has a brighter clean tone, with a strong midrange like a Vox, not scooped like a Fender. It doesn't have that chimey, shimmery thing that a Vox has. It's a detailed sound. You can hear individual strings in chords. It's got a straightforward tone, not complex like a Fender or Vox. Its the Telecaster of the amp world. A super useful amp for the money, and fetching too!

hughes-kettner-tubemeister-18-jpg

The guitar is a bright sounding ash Tele. I'm playing on the 18 watt setting, drive channel with master dimed and gain dialed back. The cab is a closed back Mesa 1x12 with a Vintage 30. I was using my new Sennheiser e906, on-axis, set just outside the dust cap and about an inch out from the grille. I tracked delay using the Memory Boy and TC Flashback. It was loud, but as usual I was in another room monitoring through studio speakers.

I doubled tracked the guitars and panned them opposite. First the guitars alone, then the mix. Music starts at 0:09.

TE_HK_906 tone clips.mp3 - Google Drive
    Last edited by Robus; 4 Days Ago at 09:41.

Thanks
    That is a REALLY nice clean tone! Don't even know what to say that you didn't already say...

Thanks for sharing. If I ever win the lotto, I'll look into that amp for sure!
    Soundcloud Page

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    I auditioned the Tubemeister 18 for a cleanish rhythm part of a song. Here's the result.
    Are you going to incorporate this amp into old songs, or is it for tunes going forward? Sounds really, really good.

Thanks
    Thanks. This was one of my go-to amps before I got the Mesa 5:25 back in October. It's on lots of my songs. It's still in the rotation, though I'm not using it as often as before.

Thanks

Telecaster and Fender Princeton Reverb Classic

While I'm at it... Same as above, but using the silverface Princeton 15 watt combo. I've had this amp about a year. It gets used pretty often. It's Fender's spinoff from the '65 blackface reissue. It is voiced for earlier breakup and uses a Celestion Vintage 10. It has taken the speaker a long time to break in, though it seems to be mellowing. The V10 in my late-90s Trace-Elliot Velocette is one of the best sounding speakers I have ever played, so hopes are high.

princeton-reverb-classic-jpg

I dual miked the amp with an SM57 and a Sennheiser e906, then panned the tracks apart and blended them. Just for fun, the ending is a mix with the Princeton and Tubemeister blended together.

What do you all think? Comparing the Princeton to the Tubemeister, I hear a big difference between the open and closed back cabs. The closed back 1x12 projects focused mids and tighter bottom. The Princeton's open cab gives that classic Fender scoop in the mids, and a squishier bottom. I like them both, though the Fender sound gets used more often in the music I'm doing these days.

Te PRC 906 57 blend.mp3 - Google Drive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    What do you all think?
    Sounds much better in the mix than on its own, while the previous amp/cab sounded better in both situations. The first one was just phenomenal, in my opinion.

Thanks
    I don't know what it is, but I'm not getting something out of that tone. For a Fender through Fender tone, it doesn't have the clarity I'm used to, and seems just a little dull. I mean, I'm not looking for AMAZINGLY bright, but which pickup were you using and can you do that again with a little brighter pickup selection, or some more treble in the pickup(s)? It sounds almost like you were on the neck only...that tele should sound a bit brighter through there (IMO).
    Soundcloud Page

Thanks
    Listening again, I agree. Partly, it might be that the Tubemeister is double tracked, whereas with the Princeton it's a single take with two mics panned opposite. But the Tubemeister clip is just a little cleaner, a real edge-of-breakup tone wheres the Princeton is beyond that, into drive territory. On the mix part of the second clip, you are hearing some of the Tubemeister mixed in too.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the blackface reissue Princeton rather than the silverface. It's a nice amp and well worth having, but in retrospect I would like a little more clean headroom. I'd like to push that speaker harder before the amp begins to break up. Then again, that early breakup has its uses too.

Very interesting. I've got some time tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll try out more amps. There is the Mesa, the Fender Deluxe, the Velocette, and the Marshall 40 watt combo.

Thread Information