Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The New New Tone Thread

Thanks

Telecaster and Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue

Sign in to disable this ad
    Continuing on....here is the Deluxe Reverb.

fender-drri-sm57-e906-jpg

This would be my desert island amp. It's the same song as the two above, Tele soloed then the mix. To make a fair comparison, I double tracked the Deluxe. On each track, I'm using a blend of the SM57 and the e906. Both tracks use the spring reverb. One of them has a Memory Boy delay in front of the amp.

Volume is between 4 and 5, which is where this amp begins to break up. The contrast with the Princeton is striking. I went cleaner this time. There's a dimension that I'm not hearing in the Princeton. Though to be fair, I should have double tracked the Princeton too.

This clip shows why the Deluxe is such a workhorse. This tone would fit in any song I've recorded in the past couple of years.

However, I'll have to say the Tubemeister is still winning the shootout at this point. More to come.

Te DRRI 906 57 blend_double tracked_solo + mix.mp3 - Google Drive

Here are a couple of odds and ends, same setup as the previous. The solo part is from a song that's finished and in Dave's queue for drums. It'll show up at the Clinic one of these days. Guitar soloed, then the mix. I let the mix clip run on a little longer, as I'm happy with the guitars generally on this song.

Te DRRI 906 57 blend_lets ride solo then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

I'm not sure the Deluxe is right for this solo. My go-to for that kind of spanky, Tele-ish solo thing is the Trace-Elliot Velocette. It has an uncanny ability to sit low in a busy mix and still cut through clearly, whereas you can hear the Deluxe is getting a bit lost. I'll retrack with the Velocette and post the results.
    Last edited by Robus; 2 Days Ago at 21:54.

Thanks

Telecaster and Trace-Elliot Velocette

Here is the Trace-Elliot Velocette. It's a 15 watt combo with a pair of EL84s and a Vintage 10. Is is surprising loud. I bought this amp new in the early 2000s. These days, I use it mostly when I want a certain lead guitar sound, often with a Tele. If you've been listening to my songs with Nick and Dave, you've heard it a quite a few times.

trace-elliot-velocette-sm57-e906-jpg

What I like about this amp is its ability to slot into a mix and be heard clearly, without needing to be too loud. It's got a bold tone, fairly bright, straightforward rather than subtle. Really responsive to your playing. I have a tendency to pluck notes with my right hand for emphasis. This amp likes that kind of stuff.

So here are two clips. The first is the same song as all the previous ones. I stuck with the two mic arrangement, 57 and 906. I double tracked the part. One track has the Memory Boy delay in front of the amp, the other is bone dry since there is no reverb on the Velocette. I panned the two wide apart. Volume and tone knobs on the amp were about 12:00, which is edge of breakup with this guitar.

Tele Velo 57_906 blend doubled guitars then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

Here is the Velo with the lead guitar part that I tried first with the Fender Deluxe in the last post. The amp volume is at about 3:00, so pretty saturated. I tracked the Memory Boy in front of the amp, as per my usual practice of tracking guitar FX. Since I won't be adding ambiance ITB to guitars, the delay is all the ambiance it will get. However, I'm thinking the pedal might be introducing a little harshness, so need to reevaluate.

This is miked through the 57. I double tracked a couple of bars to help enunciate that sixteenth note ascending passage that begins at measure five of the solo. Otherwise it's single tracked. The mix follows. I wanted this solo part to sit over on the left side, as low as possible while still being heard clearly.

Tele Velo 57 lets ride solo then then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

Thanks

Telecaster and Mesa Boogie V 25.

One last clip. Same as all the above, this time through the Mesa 25 watt head and closed back 1x12 cab. I'm using the 25 watt setting, clean channel, "fat" mode. This mode seems to be working best for me in most situations, regardless of guitar. Graphic EQ is turned off, master dimed and gain about 11:00. The mids are rolled back slightly.

mesa-boogie-v-25-jpg

Same blend of SM57 and e906. I double tracked the part and panned wide. Both tracks are using the amp reverb. One of the tracks has the Memory Boy delay in the loop.

Tele MB fa 57 906 blend_ solo then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

It has been interesting to compare these amps. If you're familiar with any of my songs, you know the kind of rhythm part I've playing here shows up a lot in my music. All in all, I'm still thinking that the Tubemeister brought something special. But it's good to have choices and options.

Eventually I'll do another shootout with a different song and different guitar.

Thanks

SG and H&K Tubemeister 18

Stuck for lyrics on a few songs I'm trying to finish, so I spent the day messing around with guitars. Here is the SG through the Tubemeister. I was going for more of a crunch tone this time. It's the 18 watt setting, drive channel, master volume dimed, gain at about 11:00, mid knob boosted to about 3:00. It's the 1x12 closed back cab again, miked with the SM57 and e906 and blended.

I doubled the parts and panned them opposite. One of the doubles has the Memory Boy delay in the loop, the other is dry.

SG_TM_58_906 doubled_guitar then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

I'm starting to get back into this amp again. There's a rawness that I'm not finding in the Boogie.

Thanks
    I really like the Trace Elliot sound on everything you showed. It has a clean and distinct sound. I'd use it with the tubemeister to get some great blends. Tasty stuff there.

The solo on the Deluxe sounds very George Harrison while the music is kind of Mark Knopfler (ish)...interesting combo I'm not sure I'm fond of.

Oddly, the Boogie is just kind of there. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that sparkles to my ears. Then again, we know how good 56 year old ears are!
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BroKen_H View Post
    I really like the Trace Elliot sound on everything you showed. It has a clean and distinct sound. I'd use it with the tubemeister to get some great blends. Tasty stuff there.

The solo on the Deluxe sounds very George Harrison while the music is kind of Mark Knopfler (ish)...interesting combo I'm not sure I'm fond of.

Oddly, the Boogie is just kind of there. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that sparkles to my ears. Then again, we know how good 56 year old ears are!
    Thanks, man. The Boogie is not intuitive to dial in. Eight months with that amp and I am still learning its nuances. In that particular clip I scooped the mids too much. It works on an open back cab but I am learning the closed back needs a different EQ approach. The Tubemeister is a blast! I'm reconnecting with it. It really likes that Mesa 1x12 cab, much better than the one I originally bought for it.

Okay, here's something else. It's the same as the last post, but using the Marshall DSL40c combo. It is the SG again, bridge pickup. Amp is on the 40 watt setting, clean channel, crunch mode, master volume dimed, gain at 11:00. Mid control about 2:00.

marshall-dsl-40c_sm57-e906-jpg

I blended the SM57 and e906 and double tracked the part. One of the tracks has the Memory Boy delay in front of the amp, the other is straight in. I did dial in some of the amp's reverb but the effect is negligible. Better to leave it off.

SG_DSL_58_906 blend_ doubled_guitar then mix.mp3 - Google Drive

How does this compare to the Meister?

Thread Information