New Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier But.....

punkrocker

Hey all so I just got a mesa boogie dual rectifier 2 channel version off craigslist :D. I've been messing around a little while and I'm having trouble finding a good tone. Here is the sound I'm looking for http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (3 Channels)&section=amp its the second clip. Right now I have just been plugging into the head and playing. Do I need a distortion pedal for this sound? Possibly EQ's? Right now I'm using a Gibson SG with plugged into the head coming out of a 4 x 12 mesa cab. I have a line 6 pod xt should i use the eq/compressor/noise gate in this or get a dedicated one? Thanks for any help!

Hey all so I just got a mesa boogie dual rectifier 2 channel version off craigslist :D. I've been messing around a little while and I'm having trouble finding a good tone. Here is the sound I'm looking for ... its the second clip. Right now I have just been plugging into the head and playing. Do I need a distortion pedal for this sound? Possibly EQ's? Right now I'm using a Gibson SG with plugged into the head coming out of a 4 x 12 mesa cab. I have a line 6 pod xt should i use the eq/compressor/noise gate in this or get a dedicated one? Thanks for any help!

I have a mesa dual rectifier road king combo. Let me give you two words of advise. Be patient!

The controls on these things are much different then every other amp out there.

First of all, Mesa's have all tube distortion, no clipping diodes. What that means is that you need to take it easy on the gain knob. I suggest no further then maybe 2:00. If you push the gain knob to hard you will get a flubbiness to your distortion where clipping diodes would tend to get fizzy when maxed. 2 oclock gives you plenty of distortion anyway.

Secondly, in modern mode you may need to turn down your presence and treble. Not as much in vintage and raw.

Third, many Mesa boogie owners use a boost on the gain channel (I don't, I just haven't found one I like and I love my sound without it, though I do use an EQ in the loop).

In the clip you pointed out there are three things that will have a huge impact on tone.

1. He is using a Les Paul. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and the tone compared to my ESP strat style guitar is completely different. The ESP gets a better lead tone, the Les Paul a better rythym tone.

2. He is using EMG pickups. These pickups have a very distinct tone.

3. He is using a Maxon OD808 to boost his gain channel.

Again, be patient and really tweak your settings.

The guitar makes a big difference, but given you are using an SG that should not be a problem (I don't own one, but I do love them!)

Great post. I second the patience and slow approach to the tweaks. IMHO, save additional pedals, EQs and other effects until you've gotten real familiar with that amp.

There are a lot of tasty tones to be had simply with the guitar and amp. Hang in there!

Back