New guitar weekend!

mjbphotos

Finally got myself the hybrid nylon string I'd been aching for - a Taylor 114ce-N. Walnut layered body, solid spruce top. Sure, it would be nice to have a solid wood, but you work with what you can afford. It's got some nice sustain, but aslso a nice tight sound to it. I've never been much of a finger picker, time to start practicing and building up my right hand calluses!
Already have a couple of tunes I want to record with this guitar, waiting for the cooler weather (windows closed, storm windows down, etc).
Taylor 114CeN-1.jpgTaylor 114-ceN-2.jpgTaylor 114-ceN-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mjb, very nice!

The neck looks very broad. Are the pics deceptive or is that a thing with nylons?
I'm having a new guitar weekend myself, although that's for another thread. ;)

Will you do any test recordings in the shorter term? I'd love to hear it.

Congrats and enjoy. :)

I always assumed it's because nylons are 'classical' guitars, and the nature of the playing style determined it, but then nylon strings are so much thicker, that probably has more to do with it.

In other words, I don't know why.

lol! I love the sound of nylon strings.
I put a 6 string neck and nylons on a cheap banjo a while back.
Seemed easier than learning to play a banjo. :facepalm:

Hey Mjb, very nice!

The neck looks very broad. Are the pics deceptive or is that a thing with nylons?
I'm having a new guitar weekend myself, although that's for another thread. ;)

Will you do any test recordings in the shorter term? I'd love to hear it.

Congrats and enjoy. :)

The reason I never bought a nylon string (classical) guitar before was the neck width, nut width is usually 2" - or more. Not good for my stubby fingers. And they are flat, too - no radius.
The nut width on this is 1-7/8", the 1/8" does make a difference. My Taylor 310ce has a 1-3/4" nut width. Took some time to get used to that as my other acoustics are 1-5/8" (except for the 12 string, which is also 1-3/4").

I'll probably dive into recording it (no mucking around) right away, but I'll do 3-tracking ro see what it sounds like - usual LDC at 12th fret, which is what I use 90% of the time for acoustic, plus an LDC or SDC on the lower bout, and DI. I suspect I'll just do the single LDC most of the time unless its a single instrument song.

The reason I never bought a nylon string (classical) guitar before was the neck width, nut width is usually 2" - or more. Not good for my stubby fingers.

After listening to your other g tar playing, personally, I think you could take 50lb fishing line and nail it to a 2 x 6 and make it sound good! Looking forward to hearing your new baby. p.s. Have you named it yet?

Congratulations, Very nice. Taylors sound incredible. Though most I've played do have a wide neck, even the steel strings.
Yeah, I had to get used to the 1.75" when I got my first Taylor, had been playing 1.625" my whole life. The nylon is 1.875" - but that's still more comfortable than a 2" or wider classical neck.

Back