new guitar strap locks

GONZO-X

Straptight Guitar Straplocks

just ordered a set.
will report back on it.

currently, i have 1 guitar outfitted with Schaller strap lock (permanently installed), 1 with a dunlop strap lock system (same deal),
and one guitar with a Dimarzio 'clip lock' strap, again, permanently installed.

i have my 4th guitar with a strap that has a built-in lock mechanism on it, that i don't like at all.

the schaller and dunlop system work well, and i have no gripes, other than i can never change the strap, without taking the whole thing apart.

the dimarzio works well, but the 'clip' part remains attached to the guitar, which requires great diligence when putting in the case, because if it is closed up against the body of the guitar, it will mar it.

joe satriani endorses these, and he even has his own Daddario locking strap, but likes this instead.

I've got these on all my guitars...cheap and very effective. I bought a bulk pack of 3 dozen, and I think I still have enough for 3-4 guitars. They really lock on, and never had any come off by themselves. You have to turn/unlock it to remove it...it can't just pop-off.
I have no need to remove my straps...so that works perfectly for me.

LOK STRAP STRAP RETAINER SYSTEM

Those Straptight ones look like they won't fit on the fatter strap buttons...you would have to drill out the hole some.

I'm about to throw away my straplocks. I can't even remember what brand they are. But the "shoe" part that attaches to the strap slowly rotates over time, until it's eventually totally upside down. At that point, it's no longer a strap lock, but a strap release! I've dropped my Les Paul countless times because of this damn thing.

I'm about to throw away my straplocks. I can't even remember what brand they are. But the "shoe" part that attaches to the strap slowly rotates over time, until it's eventually totally upside down. At that point, it's no longer a strap lock, but a strap release! I've dropped my Les Paul countless times because of this damn thing.

Tighten it up in the correct position, then put a drop of Loctite or superglue on the nut/washer. Eventually it'll wear off, so just put another drop on.
I just put a Fender straplock on my bass, it uses the c-clip, rather than the Schaller threaded nut. PITA getting the c-clip on, but I've never had the one on my Tele come off.

Those plastic clip things are fine for electric guitars, but you won't get one to fit the endpin on an acoustic-electric with an endpiin jack.

Those plastic clip things are fine for electric guitars, but you won't get one to fit the endpin on an acoustic-electric with an endpiin jack.

True...but when was the last time you saw anyone doing guitar spins with an acoustic. ;)
Plus, they are much lighter, and not even sure a straplock is really needed...not like you do with a an electric where the top button tends to pull out of the strap without a lock with a lot of movement.

I don't use them on my acoustics...just the electrics.

True...but when was the last time you saw anyone doing guitar spins with an acoustic. ;)
Plus, they are much lighter, and not even sure a straplock is really needed...not like you do with a an electric where the top button tends to pull out of the strap without a lock with a lot of movement.

I don't use them on my acoustics...just the electrics.

Ha! You find a way to argue any chance you get huh? Why?

The Dunlops have been my fav for decades. Not sure why there would be an issue. I don't flip guitars but I sure as hell have accidentally.

Twice my Taylor came off the strap - yanking the plug right out of the jack. Luckily my hand was close enough to the neck to grab it each time! I then used a Tapastring, which is basically a little leather doohickey that wraps around (and clips in place) the jack end pin and then inserts through the strap hole. But very hard to get on/off, so I ended up leaving the strap on all the time, folding it over the strings in the case (not ideal). I had Schallers installed this past spring. The end pin one is actually just behind the battery/end pin assembly. straplock1.jpg

Hey...I was joking around with you about the spinning acoustics. :D
We all do what we feel is necessary for our situation.

Is that a small crack by the button on your acoustic..or just camera artifact?

I've not had issues with my acoustics, but yeah, my straps on the electrics have almost slipped out a couple of times in the past during gigs, due to their weight, and pull on the strap holes...so I went with the Dunlop locks on all of them to be safe.
My one near-accident with a guitar strap button was once when the tail button actually pulled out...everything, the screw/button/strap :eek:
I guess the wood just gave away. Luckily it didn't drop instantly 'cuz the strap kinda dragged across on my back, and I also had a good hold of the neck at that moment...so I managed a quick save.

I've got these on all my guitars...cheap and very effective. I bought a bulk pack of 3 dozen, and I think I still have enough for 3-4 guitars. They really lock on, and never had any come off by themselves. You have to turn/unlock it to remove it...it can't just pop-off.
I have no need to remove my straps...so that works perfectly for me.

LOK STRAP STRAP RETAINER SYSTEM

Those Straptight ones look like they won't fit on the fatter strap buttons...you would have to drill out the hole some.

Those are my go to. They're pretty effective; altho they only fit on standard "round" guitar bodies. Some of my weirder shaped guitars, they just pop off of.

I do bass spins with them, and they've never been the point of failure.

Back