New amp for Greg - Bladow! (lots of pics)

No, you have to actually take the amp out of the head cab. It's only 4 bolts though. Well, 8 bolts. Take the rear grill off, then unbolt the chassis from the bottom. If that guy won't let you, then maybe consider walking from the deal.
I agree Bubba, it'd be a fuckin' shame for you to buy that amp, then have it take a shit on you, especially while playing a gig...Surely the seller will let you check it out??? I mean, that's a lot of $$$ (to me anyway), & I'd be one pissed-off fucker if something was wrong with it, & he knew, just sayin'....

lol ..... gerg's tower of power!!

They should do a slasher movie where one of the victims gets strapped to Greg's amps and blown into tiny pieces!

:laughings:

That JCM 800 Lead series appears to be identical to one I had in the '90s. Didn't know about jumping the inputs. No master vol, correct?

I'll check the guy out via private message. I'll ask him if he will lift the amp out of its chassis as a gesture of good faith, but only if the serial number (which he is willing to supply me with) appears to be from the risky time period. It's a thirty mile drive (60 round trip) for me to see it. I'll let him know that if he does this and it checks out, there will be a sale.

That JCM 800 Lead series appears to be identical to one I had in the '90s. Didn't know about jumping the inputs. No master vol, correct?
The amps with the jumpered inputs are the Plexis. The smaller top one is 50 watts, the one under it is 100 watts. Neither have master volumes, they're both insanely loud, although I put a post phase inverter master vol (PPIMV) on the 100 watt. But I leave it cranked now that I got an attenuator. The attenuator sounds better than the PPIMV. The JCM 800 is probably even louder than both the Plexis. It has a master vol though.

I'll check the guy out via private message. I'll ask him if he will lift the amp out of its chassis as a gesture of good faith, but only if the serial number (which he is willing to supply me with) appears to be from the risky time period. It's a thirty mile drive (60 round trip) for me to see it. I'll let him know that if he does this and it checks out, there will be a sale.
Yeah, if it's anything but a 2007, then don't worry about it. 2007 is the only year you need to be concerned about.

Surely if the guy really wants to sell it, he'd take it out of the headshell & snap a few pics for ya???

Keep us posted man, I'm actually pretty keen on seeing what you think of that amp if/when it happens...I still want one, & that may be a reality for me sooner than later...

The amps with the jumpered inputs are the Plexis. The smaller top one is 50 watts, the one under it is 100 watts. Neither have master volumes, they're both insanely loud, although I put a post phase inverter master vol (PPIMV) on the 100 watt. But I leave it cranked now that I got an attenuator. The attenuator sounds better than the PPIMV. The JCM 800 is probably even louder than both the Plexis. It has a master vol though.

Yeah, if it's anything but a 2007, then don't worry about it. 2007 is the only year you need to be concerned about.

Weird about the 800. It looked identical to that one, but no master vol. It had a bright and normal input. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Surely if the guy really wants to sell it, he'd take it out of the headshell & snap a few pics for ya???

Keep us posted man, I'm actually pretty keen on seeing what you think of that amp if/when it happens...I still want one, & that may be a reality for me sooner than later...

That's what I think, too. He looks like a mature rocker (late 50s?) and has a trustworthy face (lol) You know what I mean, though? Some people have a sly look. :D Our chats so far lead me to believe he'll meet me halfway, especially as I have the cash and am willing to travel. I'll review it, of course. As it's going to be a gigging tool, its live performance functionality and flexibility are the bottom line, for me. I like my TSL, but I need more "clean gain" / "light crunch" options.

Weird about the 800. It looked identical to that one, but no master vol. It had a bright and normal input. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

They did make a JCM 800 series Super Lead, which would have 4 inputs like the Plexis, but wearing JCM 800 clothes. It would technically be a JCM 800 1959 circuit. They're kind of rare. Is that what you had?

This is the only pic I have of my JCM 800, I think. Unfortunately, the bassplayer's neck is obscuring the relevant bits. I'll have to sift through my photos from the time tomorrow and scan one in if it exists!

2061_44822993564_563078564_1299517_2388_n.jpg

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like any 800 I've seen. Too many knobs to be the usual 2203/2204 versions, too many knobs to be a 1987/1959 version, not enough knobs to be a split-channel 2205/2210. Weird. Need better pics. :D

They did make a JCM 800 series Super Lead, which would have 4 inputs like the Plexis, but wearing JCM 800 clothes. It would technically be a JCM 800 1959 circuit. They're kind of rare. Is that what you had?

I can't remember for sure that it had four inputs, but my brain is telling me it did. We all know how untrustworthy memory is, especially fifteen years later. It definitely has the "JCM 800 LEAD SERIES" logo identical to yours, but no pre/post gain options. It didn't matter at the time as I used it with a multi-FX (I know, sacrilege!) and played it cleanish.

I can't remember for sure that it had four inputs, but my brain is telling me it did. We all know how untrustworthy memory is, especially fifteen years later. It definitely has the "JCM 800 LEAD SERIES" logo identical to yours, but no pre/post gain options. It didn't matter at the time as I used it with a multi-FX (I know, sacrilege!) and played it cleanish.

Haha, well the knobs are throwing me off. Typical JCM 800s have 6 knobs. The split channel 800s have 11, but only one input. Yours looks like it has 8 knobs? And I can't tell what's going on with the inputs.

I found the pic. Trying to scan it now, but my magnifying glass shows me six knobs, four inputs, JCM800 Lead Series logo. I'm thinking Plexi dressed up as a later model.

This is what I had. Apparently it's the 1959 JCM 800 and is fairly uncommon. All I remember is that I got much more than what I paid for it, even selling it via my local music shop and allowing them commission. The buyer paid the shipping and it went to Northern Ireland.

59494.jpg

Back