New amp for Greg - Bladow! (lots of pics)

Greg_L

Banned
It just got way louder over here....:eek:

I present to you fine folks my new (to me) Marshall JVM410 It's a 2010 model that I found at Guitar Center used online....for $1150 with a 1 year warranty! :eek: :thumbs up: This thing is true mint. 10/10. Not a scratch, rip, tear, stain, blemish, or dent on it. It still has the factory stickers all over it. Brand new they're $2400. Score!

This is currently Marshall's flagship big-boy. 4 channels, 3 modes per channel, it's like 12 amps in one. Individual reverb for each channel. Individual gain, EQ, and volume for each channel. Two master volumes. Global presence and resonance control. 5 speaker outs - no janky ohm switches. FX loop, external pre/power amp loop, and speaker emulated line-out if so desired. Fully customizable and programmable with the 6-button footswitch which should be here tomorrow, or it can be controlled via MIDI. It's supposedly every Marshall ever made in one amp and has supreme versatility. I'm gonna have to :RTFM:

Anyway, here's some quick phone pics.....

Right out the box....
20130218_120536_zpsdb05773b.jpg

20130218_120548_zps9c3fbf76.jpg

20130218_120637_zps33f55188.jpg

20130218_120658_zpsc240c2d6.jpg

20130218_120732_zpsee271706.jpg

tubes....
20130218_124642_zps9e7e62cc.jpg

guts...somewhere in this mess that only NASA understands is the roadmap for tone.....
20130218_124722_zpsa34562b0.jpg

Back panel...
20130218_125618_zpsb1e7d4e6.jpg

20130218_125700_zps258e6770.jpg

Front...lots of knobs
20130218_130443_zpsa8e5ae77.jpg

20130218_130525_zps4906a4a3.jpg

20130218_130553_zps5396220f.jpg

Gonna get loud....
20130218_134734_zps92d8ea82.jpg

20130218_142339_zps38179fca.jpg

Reactions: JCH
Wow, that's a very nice setup!
One question. Whats the benefit of using the JCM and JVM connected to each other? They 'complement' each other, or do you use them as individual heads (like can you switch between them with a foot switch or something).
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never seen or worked with 2 different heads.
Thanks!

Wow, that's a very nice setup!
One question. Whats the benefit of using the JCM and JVM connected to each other? They 'complement' each other, or do you use them as individual heads (like can you switch between them with a foot switch or something).
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never seen or worked with 2 different heads.
Thanks!
I just got the JVM so I haven't used them together. They're just stacked for visual awesomeness. If I were to use them together it could be one or the other with an A/B switch, or I could run them together into the 4x12 as a stereo setup. Honestly, the JVM makes the JCM900 obsolete. I plan on using the 900 as a bass head now. :D

Love that you observed the rule : You don't really own it until you've had it in bits.

Nice one, Greg.

Thanks dude. I don't know what I'm looking at, but I had to peek just to make sure nothing is burnt or disconnected.

Nice - and a great price too! Too many knobs, though - I wouldn't know where to start.

It looks intimidating but it's really easy dude. Each channel has it's own knobs, so you're really only dealing with 5 at a time + master vol and reverb (if you want it). Clean channel - 5 knobs. Crunch - 5 knobs. OD 1 - 5 knobs. OD 2 - 5 knobs. Think of each channel as it's own amp. Ignore the rest. Then with each channel there's a mode button that goes from green to orange to red. Each time you hit that button it ups the gain. Green is cleanest, orange is mid gain, red is most gain for that channel.

20130218_144715_zps4bfa97fb.jpg

It looks intimidating but it's really easy dude. Each channel has it's own knobs, so you're really only dealing with 5 at a time + master vol and reverb (if you want it). Clean channel - 5 knobs. Crunch - 5 knobs. OD 1 - 5 knobs. OD 2 - 5 knobs. Think of each channel as it's own amp. Ignore the rest. Then with each channel there's a mode button that goes from green to orange to red. Each time you hit that button it ups the gain. Green is cleanest, orange is mid gain, red is most gain for that channel.

20130218_144715_zps4bfa97fb.jpg

Cool, it's really versatile then. The DSL I tried kind of just does clean to crunchy, then jumps to insanely overdriven on the second channel, without any middle ground. If I see something like this for anything like the price you saw, I'll jump on it. Here, those go for £1,100 new (you paid £711, according to xe.com) - I guess they're the British made model, so we generally get them cheaper.

The big question, of course, is how's the tone? I guess you'd tried this model before?

Yes I've played these things a bunch of times. I ran through it today just to make sure everything works and I ended up fucking with it for like an hour. It's so awesome.

Clean channel goes from sparkling clean to hot Plexi range.
Crunch channel spans from like a hot Plexi to the JMP and JCM 800 range
OD1 is like a hot 800 into high gain DSL/TSL territory.
OD2 is full out gain to the max with a modern mid shifted voicing.

I didn't think I'd like OD2 much, but on green mode, it's really usable and sounds tight and chunky. So far I'm really liking Crunch Red and OD1 Green.

that's a handsome fucker!

Like my Mark V only with mo' channels.
I love channel switchers!

Gonna be a new tone thread on our future. Congrats.

:)

Thanks boob. So far with just some quick goofing around I'm liking the master vol cranked to 10 and using the individual channel volumes to taste. It's got a lot of power section saturation. Pure goodness.

I just got the JVM so I haven't used them together. They're just stacked for visual awesomeness. If I were to use them together.....

I'm sure local law enforcement would be involved if you used them together... :)

Nice looking pair.
One of these days I'm going to have to get a Marshall....just because they are THAT cool.
Good luck with the amp.

Love that you observed the rule : You don't really own it until you've had it in bits.

:D

Yeah...like ain't that the truth!
I don't think there's a single piece of gear I haven't opened up before even trying it out.

I'm sure local law enforcement would be involved if you used them together... :)

Nice looking pair.
One of these days I'm going to have to get a Marshall....just because they are THAT cool.
Good luck with the amp.
Thanks. I'm lucky that I have a solid house and cool neighbors. Years and years of loud drumming hasn't bothered them. No one has said a peep about it. I keep it cool though. Nothing before 10 am and nothing after 6 pm or so.

NICE DAWG. You be rocking it naw doobro!

Now I have SERIOUS amp envy! Very nice find. Congrats.
Cheers:drunk:

Thanks fellas.

Conrats Greg, from what I've heard/read, that's the Marshall to get......you're giving me some serious GAS over here, but I'm gonna stick to my little setup for a while, I have to, $$$ is tight because of my wife's surgery, & everything else, but maybe before too long I can join the Marshall club.....I did in a way, with the little micro-stack.....:p

Back