New amp for Greg - Bladow! (lots of pics)

Marshall Amps - Marshall Amp Forum
You might have to consider visiting/joining the Marshall pages.
I did when I finally gave up swimming around in the dark with my bass amp. They gave me the definitive - "won't do that" talk. Plenty of experience and detail and they'd love to see your pictures.
It LOOKS great. I can't wait to hear it.

Hey Greg - IIRC, you're 4x12 has two G12T75 and two Greenbacks, right? Therefore, your cab is rated 100W (4x the lowest rating speaker) - am I right in saying that? Do you not worry about blowing your Greenbacks with a 100W cranked to 10 on the master? I wonder if I could push a 100W through a 2x12 loaded with V30s, then...

Thats what I call a Rock and roll amp.

Conrats Greg, from what I've heard/read, that's the Marshall to get......you're giving me some serious GAS over here, but I'm gonna stick to my little setup for a while, I have to, $$$ is tight because of my wife's surgery, & everything else, but maybe before too long I can join the Marshall club.....I did in a way, with the little micro-stack.....:p

Marshall Amps - Marshall Amp Forum
You might have to consider visiting/joining the Marshall pages.
I did when I finally gave up swimming around in the dark with my bass amp. They gave me the definitive - "won't do that" talk. Plenty of experience and detail and they'd love to see your pictures.
It LOOKS great. I can't wait to hear it.
Thanks guys. :)

Hey Greg - IIRC, you're 4x12 has two G12T75 and two Greenbacks, right? Therefore, your cab is rated 100W (4x the lowest rating speaker) - am I right in saying that? Do you not worry about blowing your Greenbacks with a 100W cranked to 10 on the master? I wonder if I could push a 100W through a 2x12 loaded with V30s, then...

Yup, my cab is now rated for 100w. 4 x the lowest speaker (25w). I'm not worried about blowing up my Greenbacks. Here's why - I'm never at full wide-open volume. When I mentioned earlier that I had the master on 10, the channel volume was much lower. I don't know if it works this way, but it sounded like power tube saturation but without the ear crushing volume. Power tube overdrive is where Marshalls get their goodness from. So yeah, the power section was cooking at full-tilt, but the signal feeding it was lower so the volume wasn't maxxed out. I don't know the exact science behind it though. It just sounded that way. It was still loud as hell, but in a good way. Blending the channel volume with the master volume is something that I still need to experiment with. Nevertheless, I track really loud because if you want a big loud guitar sound you need to track it loud, but I don't track with everything on 10. Greenbacks have been used for 50 years. I think mine will be okay. They sure sound good.

And yes, you could definitely put 100w through a V30 2x12. Vintage 30's are 60-65w speaker. Two of them will take 100w all day long. My 2x12 has V30's in it. It's LOUD! At the same amp settings, the 2x12 V30 cab is louder than my 4x12.

liked how you ripped the guts out straight away...
most people might think thats insane, but for gearheads its routine I guess.
damn over 50% off very good score!

liked how you ripped the guts out straight away...
most people might think thats insane, but for gearheads its routine I guess.
damn over 50% off very good score!

very cool. let us know how she sounds.
Thanks fellas.

Well, so far so good. The footswitch arrived today. Looks brand new as well.
20130219_114232_zpsf4d46113.jpg

I've got it set to default mode right now. Meaning, button 1 is assigned to the clean channel and cycles through the green/orange/red modes. Button 2 does the Crunch channel, and so on. Button 5 kicks in the second master volume however it's set, and button 6 turns the reverb on/off. I don't need the 2nd master vol, so I think I'm gonna set 5 for reverb and 6 will kick in the fx loop.

Everything is working and sounding great so far. It takes my two OD pedals extremely well. It really seems to like the Boss SD-1. The tonal possibilities are literally endless. Not too shabby for a guy that uses just one basic sound. :laughings:

Got any tone to post? I'm well jel - I've been looking out for a big Marshall going cheap, but nothing like the deal you got is available at the moment.

Got any tone to post? I'm well jel - I've been looking out for a big Marshall going cheap, but nothing like the deal you got is available at the moment.

I'll put up some tone next week. I haven't had much time, and the time I do have with it has been spent twiddling knobs, pushing buttons, and just playing. I've also been mixing an EP for guy that I gotta finish by saturday. So next week for sure.

Are you taking in work or is it a favor for a friend kinda thing?

I don't actively seek out work, but when people ask, and if they're cool or the music doesn't totally suck, I'll do it. I've gotten a little reputation in my music scene for making pretty good mixes out of crap tracks. Lol. I rarely actually record anyone but I'll take their tracks and make something decent out of it. This guy is a really nice guy and has a big gig this saturday and he wants to pass around an EP of new songs so he asked me to mix up his tracks for him. His tracks are pretty good so I'm not having to mess with it too much. No money was mentioned but I've done stuff for him before and he always takes good care of me so I'm happy to do it for him.

Cool. It must be a nice change of pace to occasionally work on someone else's stuff.

Lol. It's not. Not at all. Not for me anyway. I know the general consensus is that it helps to broaden your horizon and skills by trying different things, but it doesn't work like that for me. It's more often than not very hard and uninspiring to sit through someone else's shit. Especially when dealing with vocal tracks. People earnestly try to write meaningful lyrics and perform them well, but damn, most of the time it's just bad. I much prefer the irreverent approach to music.

Nice!!! Will be checking the tone thread (which I need to get back to presently).

Yeah, mixing and/or recording other poeple of wildly different genres is a good thing

Lol. It's not. Not at all. Not for me anyway. I know the general consensus is that it helps to broaden your horizon and skills by trying different things, but it doesn't work like that for me. It's more often than not very hard and uninspiring to sit through someone else's shit. Especially when dealing with vocal tracks. People earnestly try to write meaningful lyrics and perform them well, but damn, most of the time it's just bad. I much prefer the irreverent approach to music.
lol Too funny. I suppose everyone thinks they're a rock star but most of them just suck.

I've never really gotten into multi channel amps, but this kinda has me wanting one! Very very cool.

Can it cop the JTM45 kinda tones?

Back