New acoustic guitar I recently got. And have you heard of Power Pins?

Click on his moniker (the blue name by the picture and click view forum posts. You might wade to go through a ton of cave closure manure to get to some really good stuff, but I think there's an option to go to just posts he started somewhere...
edit:
okay, you click on view profile and then you get the View Started Posts or whatever link over on the left...

You can also go to advanced search and search by forum... Probably easier than wading through the off topic crap as you say. Those idiots are now lose in the real bbs...:D

Here's the Les Paul build to get you started... There is a strat thread live now but not much progress at present. You search out lots more if you want or just ask away.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/guitars-and-basses/muttleys-custom-lp-guitar-build-364930/

Ha ha, that thing was fun. The kids used it for a while before I upgraded them. I sent it back to the shop and haven't seen it since. Not sure what happened to it in the end...

Yeh, I build guitars. Currently anywhere between a dozen and 25 a year. I also do repairs and setups for quite a few outlets and am licensed to work on warranty on a number of brands.

Having said that it doesn't make my opinion any better than some one elses it just introduces a good deal of knowledge and experience. 35 years worth so far. After all that is said you will quite possibly be OK with those pins i't not like there are hundreds of damaged guitars stacking up against them but it's only fair to point out snake oil. I try to be as honest as I can when talk to people about how this shit all works.

There are lots of examples of my stuff in here over the years, if there is anything specific you'd like to see shout and I'll try and dig out some old pictures. My website is still under revamp. I started doing that about 6 months ago and like everything else in my life, other stuff jumped in front. Maybe start with the Les Paul build thread. Some where there is everything from Uke.s bridge repairs, smashed strat renovations, Tele's and my bread and butter and most common instrument builds, jazz archtops. There is also a lot of stuff on pickup building which I have branched into over the last few years thanks to JCH getting me hooked. Currently I'm building a CNC so when that is done you will also see me branching out further into the wonderful world of guitar building and repairing. It's not just a job, it's an obsession...:)

Once again, thats a sweet guitar. Enjoy it. Keep an eye on it for problems but you should do that with any guitar....;)

Right on, the reason I was asking didn't have anything to do with seeking qualifications LOL. I just wanted to see what kind of stuff you were building. I wanted a custom guitar and have some weird ideas for guitars, but never actually knew anyone who builds guitars. So, do you build acoustic guitars or mostly electrics? I would like to see some pics of acoustics if you've done any.

Yeh, I do acoustics as well. I used to do loads of em but these days I do more electric and semi acoustic as thats just the way it's panned out. Most of my work is commission from recommendation and once you get one done more tend to follow and a trend sets in until you've exhausted the avenue then another build seems to kick off a few more builds.

Not sure what images I have for acoustics. I'll have a quick check and see if I can find any on this machine otherwise I'm gonna have go over some old backups of stuff..

I'm in the UK remember so that often prices me out of the market in the USA and I don't use this place to pimp for work.... There are plenty of real good makers in the USA and probably a surprising number where you are. You should check them out.

These are really old pics of acoustics but it's all I have to hand on this PC.

OM Style

OM_Model_1_side_on.jpg

With cutaway.

Acoustic_cutaway_side_on.jpg

A small parlour based off the old Washburns

Parlor_Guitar_front.jpg

One of the three going together..

Closeing the box.jpg

Nice pics man. I always wanted to try making my own guitar, but it's unreasonable in my situation. What would be the most you would charge to build an acoustic? Just curious lol. I have the weirdest idea for an acoustic guitar, but I've been afraid to tell anyone about it. I would probably need to patent the design because I think if it worked it would be a huge seller. A whole new type of acoustic guitar. Then again it could sound like shit. I guess I should probably find a program for laying out design plans because I don't think I could explain it properly.

Nice pics man. I always wanted to try making my own guitar, but it's unreasonable in my situation. What would be the most you would charge to build an acoustic? Just curious lol. I have the weirdest idea for an acoustic guitar, but I've been afraid to tell anyone about it. I would probably need to patent the design because I think if it worked it would be a huge seller. A whole new type of acoustic guitar. Then again it could sound like shit. I guess I should probably find a program for laying out design plans because I don't think I could explain it properly.

Every guitar I build is priced depending on spec as I have to cost out every thing. I'm not cheap but nor are most decent guitar builders and you need to establish a rapore with whoever you deal with first to really get an individually build and guitar that features what you want in sound and feel. Forgive for not discussing ball park here, I have never tried or wanted to use this place as a selling platform.

As far as coming up with new ideas for an acoustic guitar, I can pretty much promise you that you haven't. It's all been done or discussed. First thing to do if you are serous is search the patant office. If you want to PM with a brief outline I will publicly state here a non disclosure promise unless consented and you can run it by me.

Also you don't need a huge amount of space to build a guitar. My workshop is only 5m by about 15m. I do have other storage but I can work on a load of stuff at the same time and squeeze in several ton of tools. The trick is to utilise space wisely. Having said that I am moving workshop shortly and going back to having a lot more space.

I'm a luthier. By adding weight to the bridge, you're losing dynamic acoustic range. You may be increasing sustain, but there's other, better ways to do that.

Back