New $150.00 bass rig!! Did I score Good?

Freudian Slip

well I think I finally got one of those kill deals that seem to fall in everyone elses laps.

I'll post a picture.

I got Takamine solid body neck through bass???, a Sunn 400W 2000S bass head, a Sunn 2-15 cab, A canary mic cable, two guitar cables, and about 5 5ft speaker cables for $150.00

If anyone knows anything about this bass let me know.

F.S.

Attachments

• dsc00006.jpg
    dsc00006.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Bitch deal Bandit needs to hire the WWF to haul this amp around for him. My god the stack is all most to my chin and I'm 6" tall.
The wife wasn't to happy with me as we where sliding this thing up the stairs (he he he) :p .

I think the bass was custom made for Cynderella's Bassist:eek: Just kidding. It will make a nice wall ornament I don't have the fringed dayglow leather jacket to go with it:D

I have searched high and low for info on a solid body Takamine bass and have found nothing. I did find an electric solid body 6 string from about 1984 and this looks like it's right in that vintage.

Later

F.S.

Nice score!

I suppose it was owned by a little old lady who only played it on Sunday.:p

One of my friends from school days had a Sunn Coliseum bass head & 8-10" cab. That thing rocked! It also unfortunately fell over one day and smashed his near mint '57 Gibson jumbo acoustic.:(

That bass looks killer!:cool: I'm a big fan of pointy guitars. Hey, I was in high school in the early '80's.:D

Re: Nice score!

M.Brane said:
I suppose it was owned by a little old lady who only played it on Sunday.:p

One of my friends from school days had a Sunn Coliseum bass head & 8-10" cab. That thing rocked! It also unfortunately fell over one day and smashed his near mint '57 Gibson jumbo acoustic.:(

That bass looks killer!:cool: I'm a big fan of pointy guitars. Hey, I was in high school in the early '80's.:D

An 8 10 cab. WoW! I wish this was a 4 10 cab but beggers can't be choosers.

I was in high school in the mid 80's so don't feel bad. I like pointy guitars too, It's the red binding that kills me. The shape is sort of cool. Always liked the BC Rich looks.

Our drummer works at a tow company and this thing was in a van that the guy never came to get. I think he was living in the van DOWN BY THE RIVER!! SNL joke there. Any way our drummer was told to find out what it was worth and sell it. Naturaly he called me:D I hated to break it to him that this stuff was really old and not worth much at all;)

I hope they bring in more vans like that!

Later

F.S.

Last edited:
Yep, that's a find.

I'm a big fan of old Sunn gear. The 2000S is more like 125WRMS, though, with four 6550s. There may be KT88s in there, and if so take a look at what brand. Sunn used some very nice tubes that are worth some dough these days.

The one big caution I have for you on this amp is that there is a very iffy multicap that was prone to catastrophic failure even brand new. After thirty-plus years, it definitely needs replacement. There's a high probability it's already been replaced, but you should check. If you're going to use this amp, doing a cap job is probably a must. Sunn used a multicap with a 30mfd/525V section that was under a nominal load of 510V, which means that it was on thin ice all the time. It really needs a 600V cap in that installation, particularly if you use different AC services that may run high (as mine here does - 128VAC). Of course, there's no such thing as a 30mfd/600V cap any more, but you can make one out of two smaller ones and bleeder resistors. If these filter caps go, they can take out other more expensive components, so a cap job on an oldie like this is really essential. I'm in the middle of doing a cap job on a similar Sunn right now.

Here's a schematic for your 2000S.

Also, I'd point out that if these are the original speakers, they'll only handle about half of the output of this amp, so be careful!

Great deal!

Just don't stab yourself in the thigh with that bass or let that amp fall over on you! That's a dangerous looking set-up!

:D:D:D:D

bongolation

bongolation: It sounds like I need to do some checking on things.
Maybe you can help me?

First off this thing has 4 Sovtek 6550 WE tubes (one is slightly shorter than the others but the markings are the same) The other 2 tubes are Sylvania 5ar4/gz34.

I assume that when you say cap you are saying Capacitor? from the markings it looks like it is the original. That would be the silver metal tube in behind the tubes right? It does say 30mfd 525v and then below that it lists steps down like 25mfd/525v 20mfd/525v.

So what do you think are these tubes any good? I am assuming that the sylvanias are generic replacements given the dual numbers on them? I am hoping the sovtek's are decent. As far as the capacitor goes I would not have the slightest idea how to build my own. I am assuming it's not as simple as running two smaller capacitors in a parallel circuit.

The speakers are original and depending on the money I might just opp for a 4 10 cab by hartke or trace elliot. The speakers are plenty good for practice still.

I guess the 400w sticker on the back is for somthing else. I know it's not the power consumption though. Power consumption is clearly labled.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Later

F.S.

I'd feel guilty taking that package for 150...

although I was at a music-go-round here in chicago and saw a set of HR824's for $600. FOR THE PAIR! The guy selling them tried really hard to explain to me how nice they were...he had no clue.

Of course, I thought I'd come back in a week and pay half cash half credit and they naturally had been swiped. never hesitate.

Bummer on the hr's :( Let me tell you though it has been a long time coming to me. I sold a Carvin custom blond 6 string stereo electric guitar for $150.00 once !!!:eek: Oh my god what a fool I was. the thing was perfect and it played awsome. It had aftermarket S. Duncan's in it as well.

But I just have to have that new 5 string ($350.00) bass before our next gig. I could still kill my self over that one.
Better go have a beer on that note.

Any way this does not make up for that but it helps:D

Later

F.S.

grat find!

it reminds me of when i got my '66 strat. i found it at a nightclub and the owner had the strat and a giant 100 watt sunn amp...wanted 300 bucks for both of them. i talked him into selling the strat for 150 bucks (i had a super reverb at the time and didn't think i "needed" the vintage sunn stack)...im STILL kicking myself for letting that amp get away from me!
congrats on that killer deal.

deals like that are getting far and in between....damn internet and its info is educating too many people on what their old stuff is REALLY worth.

Back