NAME THOSE OLD NOW OBSCURE BANDS

WHAT IS OBSCURE???

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY ANY BAND, GROUP,ARTIST WHO HAVE PRODUCED 1 OR MORE ALBUMS(CD'S,TAPES)WITH LITTLE TO NO AIRPLAY AT ALL.LTTLE TO NO RECOGNITION FROM THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA(CRITICS).A ONE HIT WONDER!EXAMPLE:RED RYDER...LUNATIC FRINGE.JUST MY OPINION...THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

I started this thread so we could name the bands that really made it big,but today's generation wouldn't recognize (unless they saw it in their parent's "album" collection)...such as Uriah Heep, Mountain,Mahogany
Rush,ect. These bands sold millions of albums,sold out
arenas,and today are unknown to a new generation.
I like the direction that the thread has taken---naming those "on the fringe of success" bands,or the underground ones that "we" all listened to,but Mother Radio refused to acknowledge (Savoy Brown for example). It has been amazing how many bands and artists all of us have dug up.......makes me feel my age (LOL)----------keep up the good work,there are more out there.It's hard to remember who hasn't been left out!
Did we get Starz?They were an Aerosmith wannabe band.

Tweedville said:
I started this thread so we could name the bands that really made it big,but today's generation wouldn't recognize.such as Uriah Heep, Mountain,Mahogany
Rush,ect.

Focus 3, New York Dolls, Klaatu, Nitzinger can add to your list I think, they got air play time but not to sure about filling arenas though...

CyberDragon..................
Wow,someone else remembers Nitzinger......Texas rock and roll,with John Nitzinger as guitarist-singer.Girl drummer,too! I saw his old guitarist (Bugs Henderson) do a blues trio in Atlanta------great player.
Klaatu------good call.New York Dolls---------better forgotten.

well yeah, Tweedville I DO aggree about NYD , but then I wasn't making any comment on the quaility of the band or the music they made, just thought they fit the quifications set for the fourm and way back in the first bands I was in, We used to do covers of a few of the Nitzinger tunes :)

some more

hello

i haven't read the whole list, so i don't know if you have

gerry rafferty
nirvana (the ORIGINAL; NOT kurt's band)
clear blue sky
the stranglers

thats all right now.

CyberDragon,you are right......we are only listing the historical,not the musical value of all the artists.I withdraw my comment. :o)
Anyone remember Guiffra (sp)? Or Split Enz?
I know two bands still kickin'....Mountain and Savoy Brown.I'm enclosing a pic of Leslie West taken in the last two years.It was taken in Florida about two weeks after he had open heart surgery.The guy who took the pic said Leslie was weak and out of energy (understandably!),but still managed a 35 minute set that included Mississippi Queen and Nantucket Sleighride.

Attachments

• leslie west fla #3.jpg
    leslie west fla #3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 14
Gulhenn, Thanx, no offense taken. I don't really know much about the music of my dad's era, except for a few that come to mind, and likewise, I don't know much about the kid's (contemporary) music scene today, except for a few stand out acts.

I'm culturally ignorant, (at least on that account), by my own definition, but more, I think that's somewhat natural, and it's called 'the Generation Gap'.

I'm 39. If you were to plot the body of my musical knowledge on a timeline, it would be a bell curve, where on the far left (the past), there would be a very thin, almost nonexistent line through classical, and it would start to ramp up a little (to the right) with 20's-30's classic-trad-jazz, then ramping up a little more through 30's-40's Swing/Big Band music, then ramping up a little more significantly with 50's era 'Rock & Roll', then... ramps WAY up on 60's-70's classic rock, then PEAKING sometime in the late 70's/early 80's, tapering off quite a bit through the 80's, and then down significantly to a thin, flat line in the 90's, and tapering off to virtually nothing, today. How's that for a visual?

Furthermore, I think we all get 'stuck' in, or attached to a certain 'era' of music, to a certain degree, and typically, by my own research, people seem to be most attached to the music scene or 'era' that corresponds to their teenage years and through their 20's. I think by a person's 30's they have pretty well made up their minds what (and who) they like, (and don't like), and stand accordingly.

I think at (or after) this time (or age) in a person's life (30), the interpretive hearing process changes somewhat (matures), and it becomes easier to discern what one considers to be 'good' music, in the personal, subjective sense.

(How's that for a LOAD of b*llsh*t? I guess now I'm just an amatuer sociologist! Haha).

Therefore, continuing, speaking of myself for example, I love music, but I'm very quick to decide whether I like something or not, and save for a few stand-out acts of today, (like U2 and a few others), I think the bulk of contemporary music is Boring (with a capital B). Also, there's a handful of bands out there making music, which I like the 'sound' of, but are not memorable in any way, and fail to make a significant impact on me,... and I -do- listen to -some- contemporary music.

I have a radio, and MTV, and most contemporary music I hear I either find altogether lightweight, or very derivative of much better, older music. The remainder of the sounds I hear may be 'sounds' I like, but the 'songs' themselves make little impact on me, and just wash over me, practically in one ear and out the other, ending up inevitably to be like 'wallpaper' to me.

Anyway, MTV is really more about 'visual' music than the 'music' itself. I've seen some GREAT and very memorable VIDEOS, but I would not listen to the CD's of these artists, even if you paid me. A lot of what is very GREAT VISUALLY (on MTV) is JUNK on the audio side, but I'm sure that's just a matter of opinion, (which I have a great many of).

Anyway enough about me. I guess today, I'm an amatuer sociologist, Dr. Bullshit, B.S.E. (E for Excellence).

Dragonworks, you're right, but I think the obscurity factor is time itself, and maybe not that these bands (listed above) were obscure in their own time. I'm sure most of them weren't.

Cyber Dragon, you are SO right, in fact, by definition,
ALL of us on this BBS are OBSCURE, and that doesn't even say enough. Most of us are virtually NON-EXISTENT on the cultural scene, except for the scene within our own home studios, and probably including a limited local scene in our own home towns. We've all been in pickup bands, or garage bands, with good players and great names, that of course, no one but our
own small circle of friends would know or remember, or even care to.

Blah blah blah blah blah. I've said enough, for now.

Interesting topic, you guys (and gals), Cheers.

David Archuleta/A Reel Person/Dr. Bullshit

This thread is still going and still great........what a list of stuff........

I don't think (but maybe they did) anybody mentioned Cream, Yardbirds, Zombies, Animals, Small Faces (Itchykoo Park)....still got the vinyl on all these and many many more........................gibs

OHMYGOD, YES!

Tweedville, good thread, thanx.

BTW, Uriah Heep is still one of my favorite 'classic' V & A bands, and it still gets played at my house regularly.

I'm working on reproducing (on multitrack) some Uriah Heep covers (myself/solo), but hey, they're complicated songs, so they're still just ideas or WIP's.

I just love all the interesting (Uriah Heep) melodies, way out (up there) harmonies and rich instrumental virtuosity, (that's characteristic of 70's progressive/hard rock in general).

In fact, I got my 6 yr old son (now 7) a "Uriah Heep Live" CD, along with a "Beatles 1" of his very own, (for Christmas), but he's discovered he likes THE RAMONES by himself, and even a little BLACK FLAG too, (but I limit Black Flag a little, since it's PG-13 music, and he's only 7).

OHMYGOD, KLAATU! I thought I was the only one who remembered that band. The old rumor about KLAATU was that it was the Beatles, working under an assumed name, which I probably believed then, but probably don't believe now. I wish I had that (Klaatu) music now (on CD), as some of my old albums were stolen a long, long time ago. (All you kids under 18: Pop Quiz: What's an 'album'??)

Elephants Memory & Plastic Ono Band would be well known to any 'real' Beatles or John Lennon fan.

Traffic & Blind Faith are some other killer bands, both with Steve Winwood, and still some of my fav's.

HERE's one I have not seen listed yet:

ANGEL.

Great topic, and it keeps on GROWING... IT'S A MONSTER! IT'S OUT OF CONTROL! (Or maybe it's just me).

Cheers, & T/Y later, all of you OBSCURE Homrecoding-dot-commies!

DA/A-R-P/Dr. BS 2001

I read through a bunch of this and was amazed to find that most of the obscure bands that I could come up with were already mentioned by one or more of our erudite members. BUT:

How about Buzzy Linhart, Emitt Rhodes and David Peel?

Sorry if I missed mention of them, but damn- this is a long thread and I didn't have time to set up a friggin' validated database just to play the game.

A few more to add, Head East, Orleans, Poco, Spirit, Free, Iron Butterfly (or should there be a one hit wonder thread?) Spooky Tooth (strange music on ceremony) Black Oak Arkansas, Faces, T-Rex, Some of these bands still play in one form or another, I saw Black Oak Arkansas just last year on the beach :) not too sure if Pat Travers belongs here.. but I loved him and saw him last year too...
just my 2 cents or $1.50 in dog dollars :)

Ok I just checked back a few and it seems most on my list have been named already I can't believe you guys remember all these bands LOL

Hey Tweedville, I can't believe I have a New York Dolls album either HAHAHAH What was I thinking, must have been just trying to piss off Mom & Dad at the time LOL

lettin' your 7 year old listen to black flag is a bit dangerous don't ya think? but hey, he's got taste!

LOL

guhlenn

ps maybe he'll be the new messiah of punk ;) well then i can tell all my friends i knew his dad...:)

LOL

Yes, I agree that at minimum, Black Flag is PG-13 music or above, but there are som B/F songs that are not totally offensive, and can be enjoyed, in a 'supervised' environment.

The driving riffs, wild changes, and 'unhinged' solos are reason enough to enjoy listening to Black Flag, but it's admittedly 'antisocial' music. Anyway, Rock & Roll is (or was) rebellious music by definition, and sometimes it's fun to be a little rebellious.

My 7 year old son doesn't understand much of what he's listening to, but it's true, he does have good taste! He's just a chip off the old block, as they say.

First of all, this thread must have broken some kind of record by now. It's been posted to almost every day for two and a half months! COOL!

Reel Person- As to the state of music today, and its lack of interesting or memorable songs, I sometimes agree with you, but usually I attribute it more to my own lack of interest, rather than it's lack of content. If you ask the generation that's growing up with it now, they'll rave on and on about stuff that we might immediately discount. I think that no matter what the music is, your teen years are the time when you're most impacted by it. It's virtually inseparable from all your emotions and the rest of your life too. That's why Dylan, or Springsteen, or Beck can be the spokesperson for a generation. Blah Blah Blah!

Drstawl - Dude! You Rock! Emmit Rhodes! Love Will Stone You but You'll Come Down!

Twist

Back