my bass hums...

esteveno

can anybody help me here... when my fingers are on the strings of my bass it doesnt hum but when there is nothing touching it it does hum..? can anybody tell me whats going wrong here? how do i get it so that it doesnt hum all the time?

any help would be very much appreciated

.... VERY much appreciated

1.Stay away from computer monitors,flourecent lighting and other electrical/magnetic fields.

2.Get some humbucking or active pickups.

3.Don't cross post (this won't solve your hum problem ;) ).

HTH :)

Bad wiring... and grounding.
Happens often on cheap guitars / basses.
1. Use better cable, cheap cables often generate noises. For insider cable and for the one which goes to the cube.

2. Make sure you wire the insider cable right. Attach the ground to the body properly. ( ...any metal material of your bass).

3. Try wrapping alumunium foil in the "inside" of the bass, specially pickup hole. Conect it to ground. See what's going on... :)

BTW, what bass do you use ?

its a samick lb-11... it looks like a fender p-bass, it used to have volume and tone knobs.. but they started going all crackly whenever i turned them so eventually decided to take them out and wire the pickups directly to the plug.. do u think this could have caused it? anyway its so crusty im actually selling it (thats why i want to fix it) and i might be buying an ibanez off an old friend for like, half the original price.. cool huh?

is ibanez good?

Check the ground wire,the one from the pickup electrics that goes through the body and joins the bridge,if it's faulty or isn't connected that will cause your problem.

Gettin Grounded

I have had the same problem recording other bass players and the problem is with insufficient shielding / grounding of the pickups. For sure stay away from computer monitors , ceilng fans , etc. and I have actually rigged a ground wire using a small length of speaker wire from the bridge of the bass to an exposed area of skin (tucked inside pant waist) to ground out the hum.(Hey! it is his noisey bass!)You could plug him into the ground slot of your wall socket,but that tends to make people nervous for some reason.

tmix

Back