Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?

Most Overrated/Overprice Acoustic Guitar?

• Epiphone

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Fender

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Gibson

Votes: 47 28.7%
  • Ibanez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • Taylor

Votes: 50 30.5%
  • Washburn

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Godin (seagull, art & lutherie, etc)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Well, I guess I'm in awe. Now that I know Roguetitan hates Taylors (apparently along with a goodly number of other people on this board), I guess I'm going to have to give my 710 away to the poor and buy a Huss and Dalton or something. I guess I'm just confused, like Aerosmith, Air Supply, Alabama, Gregg Allman, Barenaked Ladies, The Beach Boys, Clint Black, Suzy Boggus, Jackson Browne, Glenn Campbell, Jerry Cantrell, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Cheap Trick, Kenny Chesney, Stanley Clarke (bass), Judy Collins, Shawn Colvin, David Crosby, Duran Duran, Jonathan Edwards, The Foo Fighters, Vince Gill, David Gilmour, Hall and Oates, Taylor Hicks, Faith Hill, Chris Hillman, Hoobastank, Mick Jagger, Jewel, Rickie Lee Jones, Lenny Kravitz, Julian Lennon, Kenny Loggins, Madonna, Maroon 5, Richard Marx, Tim McGraw,Steve Miller, Carrie Newcomer, Mike Pinder, Prince, Queensryche, Bonnie Raitt, Kate Rusby, Carly Simon, Al Stewart, Stephen Stills, Sting (bass), Styx, Taylor Swift, Artie Traum, Travis Tritt, Steve Vai, David Wilcox, Nancy Wilson, Jesse Colin Young, Neil Young, and the literally hundreds of other recording artists I could easily list who own and use Taylor guitars.

Like virtually every one of the people listed above, the Taylor is not the only guitar I own, and I am not claiming that it is the be-all and end-all of acoustic guitars. Guitars are made of wood by humans, and they are like snowflakes or fingerprints, no two the same. However, the better of Bob Taylor's guitars absolutely *do not* suck, and are among the best available acoustics in the world. Neither I, nor very many of the people listed above bought a Taylor because of hype. If I wanted rich bass and plenty of boom, I'd play a Martin. If I wanted a huge voice for a country stage guitar, I'd play an old Gibson Jumbo. If I was a rich rocker, and I could get companies to build me the hand made boutique guitar made to look like their cheap models for a marketing edge, maybe I'd play a Takamine. If I was filthy rich, maybe I'd play an old D'Angelico archtop.

As far as the poll does, I chose Gibson. I owned an SJ dreadnought in the day, and it was a *great* guitar, which I sold in a moment of poverty, and I've regretted it ever since. The Gibsons coming out of Nashville now are vastly inferior to the old ones. I'm a fan of Breedlove, Froggy Bottom, McPherson, Lowden, Santa Cruz, and Kathy Wingert, among others. And I assure you, my Taylor is one of the best acoustics I've ever played. Every time I pick it up, I'm afraid of the damage that will be done to my fingers, because I can't put it down, even when I want to. Each to their own.-Richie

Well, I guess I'm in awe. Now that I know Roguetitan hates Taylors (apparently along with a goodly number of other people on this board), I guess I'm going to have to give my 710 away to the poor and buy a Huss and Dalton or something. I guess I'm just confused, like Aerosmith, Air Supply, Alabama, Gregg Allman, Barenaked Ladies, The Beach Boys, Clint Black, Suzy Boggus, Jackson Browne, Glenn Campbell, Jerry Cantrell, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Cheap Trick, Kenny Chesney, Stanley Clarke (bass), Judy Collins, Shawn Colvin, David Crosby, Duran Duran, Jonathan Edwards, The Foo Fighters, Vince Gill, David Gilmour, Hall and Oates, Taylor Hicks, Faith Hill, Chris Hillman, Hoobastank, Mick Jagger, Jewel, Rickie Lee Jones, Lenny Kravitz, Julian Lennon, Kenny Loggins, Madonna, Maroon 5, Richard Marx, Tim McGraw,Steve Miller, Carrie Newcomer, Mike Pinder, Prince, Queensryche, Bonnie Raitt, Kate Rusby, Carly Simon, Al Stewart, Stephen Stills, Sting (bass), Styx, Taylor Swift, Artie Traum, Travis Tritt, Steve Vai, David Wilcox, Nancy Wilson, Jesse Colin Young, Neil Young, and the literally hundreds of other recording artists I could easily list who own and use Taylor guitars.

Like virtually every one of the people listed above, the Taylor is not the only guitar I own, and I am not claiming that it is the be-all and end-all of acoustic guitars. Guitars are made of wood by humans, and they are like snowflakes or fingerprints, no two the same. However, the better of Bob Taylor's guitars absolutely *do not* suck, and are among the best available acoustics in the world. Neither I, nor very many of the people listed above bought a Taylor because of hype. If I wanted rich bass and plenty of boom, I'd play a Martin. If I wanted a huge voice for a country stage guitar, I'd play an old Gibson Jumbo. If I was a rich rocker, and I could get companies to build me the hand made boutique guitar made to look like their cheap models for a marketing edge, maybe I'd play a Takamine. If I was filthy rich, maybe I'd play an old D'Angelico archtop.

As far as the poll does, I chose Gibson. I owned an SJ dreadnought in the day, and it was a *great* guitar, which I sold in a moment of poverty, and I've regretted it ever since. The Gibsons coming out of Nashville now are vastly inferior to the old ones. I'm a fan of Breedlove, Froggy Bottom, McPherson, Lowden, Santa Cruz, and Kathy Wingert, among others. And I assure you, my Taylor is one of the best acoustics I've ever played. Every time I pick it up, I'm afraid of the damage that will be done to my fingers, because I can't put it down, even when I want to. Each to their own.-Richie

First of all I would like to know why you felt it necessiary to single me out when others posted their opinions before I did?
secondly I never said I hate Taylor guitars I answered the Poll most Overrated/Overpriced acoustic guitars "most definitely Taylor" (which BTW I made the same comment about Gibson in the most overrated electric guitar poll which I own a Gibson SG Bass and a LP) followed by my second post "Godin sounds better than Taylor, Martin sounds better than Taylor.... hel Yamaha sounds better than Taylor. IMO"
Nope, nowhere in either post did I mention I hate Taylor guitars
I just simply pointed out that there are many brands of acoustic guitars that sound better than your beloved Taylor's, in my own opinion
opinion's vary :)

I am glad you like Taylor but I did not single you out for having a tin ear because you do so lets not make this poll a personal issue to try to make one of the other forum members look bad, I can do that on my own, thank you very much:cool:

Last edited:
OK Roguetitan. I sincerely apologize. No, it's not personal. You just seem so *certain*. And I believe on this point, you are dead wrong, and I think that dead wrong opinions feed on hype. Anti-Taylor hype is almost as common as pro-Taylor hype, and I don't take either one seriously. I will admit that I am unimpressed by the cheap Taylors, but of course, the same can be said of the cheap Martins. And- I am not a big fan of the expression pickup system, either. I much prefer the Fishman stereo blender in my older model. And I'm not sure if Mary Chapin Carpenter still has her Taylor, because I think my ex-girlfiend and longtome performing/recording buddy Maureen Fleming has it now, and it is just one more very, very, good Taylor guitar. I will also admit that I've played a couple of higher end (OK, middle level- $2000ish) Taylors I didn't care for, but the same can be said of *every* other off the rack brand I've ever played... With one notable exception. I've never played a Breedlove, including the Korean ones, that really, truly, sucked. The worst of them were "OK", and that is saying a lot. Well this much is true- If you are buying an acoustic guitar, whether a cheap one, a middle-priced one, or an Oh my God How Much? one. You need to play a bunch of them. Invariably, the only Martins I like are the ones I can't afford, and the only Gibsons I like are old ones.

The fun part was- when I bought my Taylor, the head guitar salesman of the place had a deposit on it, because he knew how good it was. It's the only acoustic I've ever picked up where the intonation was virtually perfect, tested on nearly every harmonic combination on the neck. And I'm talking within a cent or less, verified by oscilliscope. I'm not claiming that's a Taylor feature, just a feature of *mine*. And today, that guitar salesman is my bass player. I think it's just so he can play it occasionally.

Anyway I apologize again for mentioning you specifically. Tell you what- go out and play a few more higher end Taylors, and see if you may have just been unlucky. For my part, I'll go out and make a point to play a few more of any comparable brand you like, just to see if I am missing something. And BTW, you may think you were kidding, but Yamaha has built some truly *great* guitars over the years, particularly classicals. My studio's nylon string is an old, beat up, fairly cheap Yamaha student guitar that is damn near perfect. I went through quite a bit of hell to pry it from my brother's fingers.-Richie

Apology accepted and no I was not kidding one of the best playing Yamaha acoustic guitars ever made is hanging on my wall at arms reach away from me.
man I am not knocking taylors at all. the question was asked which I thought was the most overrated and over priced acoustic guitar on the market and from my own personal experience I think Taylor is over rated and over priced I don't think there is any right or wrong in expressing ones opinion based on their own experience.
another reason I think that is I have to eq a guy in our praise band every week who owns a 2k Taylor that sounds just plain dead. His brother has a Godin with active EQ that blows the taylor away tonally
don't ask me what the model of either guitar is because I don't know

I also have a cheap Squier that sounds better than that one dudes taylor I am talking about.

I definitely understand what you mean by old Gibson's sounding good, the
the older they are the sweeter the tone.
I have an old Blueridge archtop with spruce top, flamed maple sides, back neck and a burled maple fret board and that was custom built for my grand pappy which I think is the most incredibly sounding guitar on the planet but that one only gets pulled out of its humidor on special occasions due to its sentimental value and I am the only one who touches it because if something happens to it it cannot be replaced.

Godin sounds better than Taylor, Martin sounds better than Taylor.... hel Yamaha sounds better than Taylor. IMO

what??? a lowest level Taylor will sound worse than a high end Yamaha... but ive never heard anything that sounds better then a top of the line Taylor. not even the high end Martins that cost twice as much. IMO. ive heard some 2k tayolrs i dont like, some $1,500 i loved more. maybe just wasnt a fan of a sertian body style/wood mixture. donno. but ive been lucky enough to play a lot of very very high end Taylor and Yamaha and such and i realy cant say anythign beat the taylor. not a huge fan of teh pick up... i think that's what your talking about with the live EQing and such, but the actually guitars them self are out of this world.

I have played a couple of Taylors that were outstanding--as good/better as any Cruz, Collings in the room at the time. But in general, out of the hundreds I've played, for what you get for your $, they are overpriced IMO. Sorry Richie.:D

They are still good guits, though.:)

How many Santa Cruz, Collings, or Goodall's have you played (just to name a few)? My guess is none.
:D

3 goodalls one santa cruz and no collings yet. maybe some day. how many presentation series Taylors have you played? what woods/ body types?

Godin sounds better than Taylor, Martin sounds better than Taylor.... hel Yamaha sounds better than Taylor. IMO

It all gets subjective for sure.

I think it depends too on which models. I've got a Yamaha FG730 and it doesn't hold a candle to my all Koa Taylor in any way. Interesting enough the bass on the Yamaha holds up pretty well to my Taylor 614CE but comes nowhere near it in the mids and highs, but the 730 is a dread so it's expected to sound different than the 614. The 614 is great live and records very well too whereas the 730 is just so so recorded. BUT the 730 cost $300 and it's the best $300 I ever spent. I have yet to play a better sounding low end acoustic than Yamaha. But that's me

Interesting enough I've never been that big of a Taylor fan and I do think they are overpriced. I picked up the two Taylors I own from friends at good prices. The 614ce I own is a 2000 model that didn't even have 20 hours on it and is in total mint condition for $1400. I could not walk away from that. The all Koa is was $500 or $550, don't remember now but it has real nice tone with a sweet bass to it. I would not buy a new 614 but for what I paid it's quite nice, especially recording it.

3 goodalls one santa cruz and no collings yet. maybe some day. how many presentation series Taylors have you played? what woods/ body types?

A few--not many in recent years I'll admit.

I have lived near Buffalo Brothers since before they were Buffalo Brothers, so I have had the opportunity to play many high end brands, many models, many, many times. I have also purchased several nice guits from Buf Bros (currently a Webber OM and Larrivee L-30 Nylon).

Like I said, I've played a couple of Taylors that were as good/better as any botique guit in the room--one--over a decade ago--I believe was a cedar topped rosewood beauty orchestra model (814?--can't remember). I do remember how it made me feel, though. :):D

For me, however, most Taylors are forgetable.

what??? a lowest level Taylor will sound worse than a high end Yamaha... but ive never heard anything that sounds better then a top of the line Taylor. not even the high end Martins that cost twice as much. IMO. ive heard some 2k tayolrs i dont like, some $1,500 i loved more. maybe just wasnt a fan of a sertian body style/wood mixture. donno. but ive been lucky enough to play a lot of very very high end Taylor and Yamaha and such and i realy cant say anythign beat the taylor. not a huge fan of teh pick up... i think that's what your talking about with the live EQing and such, but the actually guitars them self are out of this world.

the whole fact of the matter is a low end Taylor is still more expensive than most high end Yamaha's.

Let me recap on the title of the thread... Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?
the title of the thread is not worst sounding acoustic guitars, Ok now that we have that cleared up my point is that for the price you will pay for a Taylor you can buy a much better guitar for a lot less money. that is why in my own opinion Taylor guitars for the most part are way over priced.

ya the pickup on this particular model sucks balls has no volume or tone controls or no on board eq and unplugged is not very loud and the tone is, well... meh:rolleyes:
if I were to actually go out today and buy a high end acoustic guitar it would probably be a Blueridge BR-283 Prewar Series 000
Blueridge blows Taylors away.

the whole fact of the matter is a low end Taylor is still more expensive than most high end Yamaha's.

Let me recap on the title of the thread... Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?
the title of the thread is not worst sounding acoustic guitars, Ok now that we have that cleared up my point is that for the price you will pay for a Taylor you can buy a much better guitar for a lot less money. that is why in my own opinion Taylor guitars for the most part are way over priced.

ya the pickup on this particular model sucks balls has no volume or tone controls or no on board eq and unplugged is not very loud and the tone is, well... meh:rolleyes:
if I were to actually go out today and buy a high end acoustic guitar it would probably be a Blueridge BR-283 Prewar Series 000
Blueridge blows Taylors away.

i know it's about the most over priced or over rated. but we aren't just talking low end... i think the low end Taylors are ok. not amazing but ok. and ya the price is to high. but taylor makes high end stuff too :P and ya the price is high, BUT they are worth it. IMO. they sound better then anything i could ever dream up. and like Ive said, Ive seen martians at double the price with far less "wow" factor in looks ,sound, or feel.
as far as blueridge goes, ive play two, one that was mistreated and dryed out, so im not judging anythign from that one lol, but the other one was suppose to be a high end model. im not sure if it was, but that's what i was told. ne way it sounded great and played very very well. but i still think the high end Taylors are better.

so to recap, Taylors over all, aren't over priced IMO, the low end stuff is.. most diffidently. but the high end stuff... i dont think it is. i really feel like you get what you pay for with the high end Taylors. but maybe that's just me.

In the past year I have found 1 guitar I would actually buy. It was a Gibson and cost $1500.

Out of the hundreds of guitars I played all year long this Gibson was fantastic playing and sounding right off the wall. All the Taylors, Martins, Gibsons etc. were just plain overpriced, forgettable guitars. I see no recipe for price vs. quality anymore. It is kind'a depressing out there.

GOTTA be Fender. Everybody else on the list actually makes GOOD acoustic guitars, and even if some are overpriced, at least they are good instruments. Fender makes near-junk, and they sell on the strength of the name, only. EDIT: I am talking about 99.9% of their ACOUSTICS, not their electric guitars.

But, really, Seagulls (and other LaSiDo's) don't really belong on any "overpriced" list. These are perhaps one of guitardom's BEST buys.

Last edited:
If Estebans had been on the list, NO OTHER BRAND would get even one vote. Those things are junk, no matter HOW little they might sell for. Yuck!

So, my vote has to go to Taylor, and here is why.

Almost every Taylor I have played has been way too bright for my taste. I like a warmer, rounder tone than most Taylors can give. Now, I know they make quality instruments. I'm not ragging their construction. I'm not knowlegable about all of that. I don't have a budget that affords vintage Gibsons or high end Martins. But some of the mid range Martins I've played have had the tone I find appealing, strong construction, and look nice. I've been very impressed with some Yamaha guitars as well. I'm no expert, but this is just my own little oppinion.

So cheers. :drunk:

Back