Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?

Most Overrated/Overprice Acoustic Guitar?

• Epiphone

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Fender

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Gibson

Votes: 47 28.7%
  • Ibanez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • Taylor

Votes: 50 30.5%
  • Washburn

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Godin (seagull, art & lutherie, etc)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

brandoj

Alright, I noticed a similiar poll for electric guitars, and I decided to start this one up. I'm not going to try and state my opinion, but I would like to see what you people think. Just remember, expensive doesn't always mean overpriced. ;)

ps. sorry if i'm missing any brands you would have liked to have seen polled

At the risk of being flogged for voting for Taylor, I do own a 1996 512, recently sold a beloved Baby and unloaded a '96 710 last year. I'd recommend them in the under $1K range IF you like the sound. BUT, why spend >$2K on a mass-produced glitzy Taylor when you can get a REALLY nice Santa Cruz/Collings/Goodall for around the same price (maybe a bit more)

<ducks head :) >

gordone said:
At the risk of being flogged for voting for Taylor, I do own a 1996 512, recently sold a beloved Baby and unloaded a '96 710 last year. I'd recommend them in the under $1K range IF you like the sound. BUT, why spend >$2K on a mass-produced glitzy Taylor when you can get a REALLY nice Santa Cruz/Collings/Goodall for around the same price (maybe a bit more)

Santa Cruz makes some amazing guitars (and they make them right) ;)

The cheap martin's are pretty crappy seeing as they still cost quite a bit. Don't get me wrong I've played some incredible instruments made by that company but their cheap lines are so so and the prices are hiked "because it's a martin".

I think this is possibly a similar point to gordone's post about taylor. I never liked taylor's but I don't believe I've ever palyed any of their top range guitars.

I didn't vote btw because you can't really say that all Martin guitars are overrated/overpriced.

Gibson guitars are just kind of overpriced for what you get. also the company just sucks and i have never gotten treeted well when i have been in the factory

Have you ever noticed how little guitars cost compared to violins, violas or cellos? Even a low end student alto sax or clarinet is several hundred $. I guess, just within the guitar world some makes are better values than others, but compared to the larger musical world, we're really lucky.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Have you ever noticed how little guitars cost compared to violins, violas or cellos? Even a low end student alto sax or clarinet is several hundred $. I guess, just within the guitar world some makes are better values than others, but compared to the larger musical world, we're really lucky.

Tim
plus we look way damn cooler than some idiot with a saxophone :p

ovations. not a fan of the fender acoustics, but i would hardly call them overpriced.

ive had the same ibanez performance acoustic for over 15 years. my gramps, who is a pretty good guitarist, bought it for me at a pawn shop when i wanted to start playing. he definately picked a good one. a very full bodied sound and crystal clear tone. electrics have come and gone, but ive never wanted another acoustic.

Ovation shouldn't be on the list as they're not really a guitar :eek: The low end Martins........well, let's just say Mr. C.F. Martin is doing cartwheels in his grave. I was in a Guitar Satin a few months ago and took a black (BLACK??????) 000-18 off the wall, made a few chords and put it right back where it was.
I like the Taylors and Martins that I own and don't regret one penny of the money I spent on them. I do LOVE the Goodall's I've played and even looked hard at one when I bought my Taylor but at $4500, it was twice the asking price of the Taylor. Worth it I'm sure but too rich for my blood.

I was about to say one of the high priced big names, but when I saw that mshilarious had wrote "Ovation", that definitely hit the spot. They are easy to forget, since I quit even considering them a long time ago.
Good call mshilarious!

hixmix said:
It's alot harder to think of an example in this category than in the electric category.
Very true. What you can get away with in a factory in Mexico or Korea doesn't float with an Acoustic.

gordone said:

Totally agree. Taylors are nice guits but a tad overpriced IMO. I think Larrivees are a better value than either Taylor or Martin. Another Canadian guit, Webber, is a handmade jewel of a guit that will easily play in the Cruz/Collings/Goodall company for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Ovations somehow during the 80's got a reputation for being nice guits. Puzzling, isn't it?

tdukex said:
Ovations somehow during the 80's got a reputation for being nice guits. Puzzling, isn't it?

Big hair, baby!

They couldn't hear a damn thing under it all . . .

:eek:

Back