Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?

Most Overrated/Overprice Acoustic Guitar?

• Epiphone

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Fender

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Gibson

Votes: 47 28.7%
  • Ibanez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • Taylor

Votes: 50 30.5%
  • Washburn

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Godin (seagull, art & lutherie, etc)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
I owned two Ovations when I was younger. I liked them, but when my belly got bigger the Ovations began to turn upward and was more difficult to play. My Ovations were truly okay, but my belly got in the way! :laughings:

Yo linkindude. Let's test your theory. I could really use a guitar that plays, feels, and sounds like a 1937-or-so Martin dreadnought in mint condition. I'll tell you what. You find it for me (or build it- even better) and I'll *overpay* you for it, say- $300. That's fair, right, at least according to you?

And Buzzard- Takamine builds lots of guitars, from the custom shop babies the Eagles use to guitar-shaped doorstops. When you're dealing with cheap acoustics, it's never about the brand name. It's about finding the one silk purse amidst all those sow's ears, that one that some underpaid Chinese, Korean, or Indonesian worker didn't screw up, either because he was that good, or because he got lucky. As they say- give a monkey a typewriter, and he's bound to spell a word sooner or later. A $100 can't be a great guitar, unless you took advantage of some clueless person, but it can be a *usable* guitar. But- if you want to find that handsome prince, expect to kiss a bunch of frog.-Richie

Breedlove?

I mean, maybe the tone is up there, but I just haven't ever tried one that wasn't an impossible chore to play. Beyond my hand strength, anyway.

I prefer the action on a Taylor above all other acoustics, and I'll pay for it.

I really don't know why Taylor is ranked so high. I personally would consider getting one if I have the money xD
Martin and Gibson however... overated!

None of those are either overpriced or overrated. They are what they are. I own some pretty pricey Martins and Breedloves, and some not so pricey Chinese Guild and Eastmans. If they weren't worth every nickel I paid for 'em I would not have bought them.

Really, I think the ultimate answer to that question is...

ESTEBAN! Yeah, I know, I posted as much here already. Read on.

Think about it- OVERRATED because the dude is just a douche- HE is grossly overrated, so anything with his made-up name on it is going to be overrated, too. And OVERPRICED because they are crap- no matter how little they might sell for (and they actually sell, new, for princely sums) they would STILL be overpriced.

Thus, the most OVERRATED AND the most OVERPRICED guitar!

Breedlove?

A couple years ago I went shopping for a new acoustic. I played every thing I could get my hands on. I played a lot of great guitars in a wide price range. Most had merit and were worthy instruments.

My favorite was the Martin EC-000....way out of my price range, great guitar.

Ultimately decided on a Breedlove.

I hate fender acoustic guitars and epiphone, for me the best acoustic steel strings I've head for my tastes are 1/martin and 2/ taylor but especially martins, seeing as they invented the modern acoustic steel string guitar I think it gives them an edge

Although it wasn't listed on the poll, what are the opinions on Takamine? I've got a GS330S with a cedar top that sounds good to my ears and didn't pay a whole lot for it.

Thats what I liked.
Maybe I have a tin ear...but anything over $1000 seemed more like buying into Brand Name than what I could hear or feel. I guess its eye of the beholder (and cash available) but I dont lust for it.

One thing I dont get from test runs and store fiddling, is how long the guitar lasts. But for a simple home studio, where the guitar doesnt leave the house I dont see it being a value.

I truly believe there has become a brand-name obsession/brainwashing in about everything made these days, marketing-mania. I think internet Blind Shootouts prove this a lot.

to each their own though, eye of the beholder and all that.....this is an opinion poll, and I put down Martin, due to the costs at the highest end and sounds I hear in comparing them to others.
Being a Beatle fan it almost has a vybe of sacrilegious nature to not praise the MArtin D28 because Paul did Blackbird with it, but he did ok with the Ovation too, and probably would do fine with a Takamine.

Some Tak's are OK, but their marketing strategy annoys me. They build high-end badass custom shop models for famous recording artists, and try to convince you that the cheap ones they want to sell you are the same thing. That said, their good ones are very good.

Back