Mexican Telecasters versus Squire Telecasters

philpro68 said:
I would like to hear any comments between the two like what are the main differences etc. I hear hear rha affinity squire teles are pretty good. I guess my question is, is there enough difference in the sound and quality of the Mexican Tele to warrant the price difference of it and the squire affinity. Musicians friends has a butterscotch squire for $169.00 Versus $349-$389 that I can't tell any comparable difference in, price wise anyway.

I'd bypass the crappy Squire and Fender MIM stuff completely. For the roughly the same price you can get a G & L Tribute ASAT that smokes both of the models you're considering.

Buffalo Brothers music is blowing out the Tributes at super-low prices right now.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/gAndL.html (scroll to bottom of page)

G & L Guitars ~ More Fender than Fender! :)

I've got a Mexican and a Squier Standard Telecaster.
The Mexican has slightly better electronics, as in the pickups sound a little better, but that's about the only difference I notice. I gigged with the Squier as my main axe for about 6 months and it never let me down.

Most Mexican Fenders seem almost just like the Squiers to me anyway. Some of the earlier Squiers, particularly the Vista series, are actually MIJ, and those are some good guitars.

Personally, I have never played a Chinese Tele that didn't suck. In fact, I've never played any Chinese guitar that didn't suck. Some Jap guitars are OK, Some Korean guitars are excellent, and even some Indonesian guitars aren't that bad, but the Chinese haven't got it yet. Some MIM teles are OK, but they are the exception, not the rule. I finally broke the bank a little and got a Highway one, which has parts in it from the USA, Mexico, and Japan, with final assembly in the U.S.A. I like it a lot. There are some pretty good cheap strat knockoffs (Yamaha Pacifica for one), but a good tele knockoff is hard to find for cheap. The Japanese build some really good ones, but they are, by and large, more expensive than a MIM tele. Good luck.-Richie

I picked a mim telecaster over an american, reason for doing so, the american was double the price, it was no better made, american strings don't go through the body, mim hand more bottom end, all mim telecaster necks are made in USA, pickups are sent from california as of 2006, to me I would have been insane to pay double for the same guitar, don't get me wrong when U spend over £1300 on an american tele they are awsome, but U spend that on a mim and it is mind blowing. I arrest my case

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

I've got a Mexican and a Squier Standard Telecaster.
The Mexican has slightly better electronics, as in the pickups sound a little better, but that's about the only difference I notice. I gigged with the Squier as my main axe for about 6 months and it never let me down.

Most Mexican Fenders seem almost just like the Squiers to me anyway. Some of the earlier Squiers, particularly the Vista series, are actually MIJ, and those are some good guitars.

well the same could be said the other way round, most american fenders almost just seem like MIMs, and most custom shop fenders just seem like american stds, and most master builds just seem like custom shops, the truth is my MIM is better than my american tele, I wish I could not say that, but its the truth

It's a 5-year old thread. :)

Hey, speaking of Teles...
I'm looking for a bound Tele (preferably a double-bound), with typical two single-coil Tele pups (not HBs).
I don't know all the iterations of Tele's over the years, but I notice bound Teles seem to fall in the "Telecaster Deluxe" bunch though most of them come with the rosewood fingerboard.
I'm looking for a bound Tele, but with a vintage style maple fingerboard/neck.

Were/are there any specific Tele models/years that came that way (bound/dbl bound, SS pups and maple neck)...or am I looking for something that would be a custom build? Is my only option of buy a bond Tele body and than add a vintage style maple neck to it?

I was doing some shopping for the very same thing.
They still make them "american deluxe" they only have binding on the top.
They have 3 in stock right now at sweetwater $1700, there are vintage
cherry. All three are maple fingerboard/neck.

I've been in the market to buy a Telecaster lately. So I was at my local music store and had the chance to try out the America, MIM, Squire and Squier Classic Vibe on a fender amp.
The American $1399-great feel, well crafted, classic tone (however a little low in volume, overpriced.
MIM $499-comparable,cheaper electronics, slightly fatter tone than American
Squire $189-Felt cheap, decent tone but not Tele-like IMO-oh did I say cheap
Squire Classic Vibe-$349 better feel than MIM, crisp tone, but a squire
I have a low opinion of Squire products in general but I liked this guitar a lot. I just don't know if I'd spend $349 on one....I bought a 12 string takamine that day..Cheers

I recently purchased a Squire Tele, CV series. I tried this guitar in the store and had to go back and buy it 3 days later. It is really nice. I hate to admit it, made in China, but the neck is beautiful and the sound is very true to tele sound. A guitar player friend tried it and immediately went out a bought one. He took his to a guitar tech for set up and tweeking and the tech said that it was an incredible deal. All he did was change the bridge. I tried the other Squires and they were crap. This guitar is comparable to the quality of the American made guitars and I simply can't afford one of those. I had an american made Tele back in the 80's and regretted selling it in order to buy my '73 Strat, not that the Strat isn't great, only that I always liked the Tele and would have liked to keep it along with the Strat. My only reservation is that it has "Crafted in China" stamped on it. I used to play professionally and still have many pro friends. They play this guitar and they frown because it rivals their American Tele's and they would rather it was junk. I don't blame them. For $350.00, this is a steal.

Back