"Metal" tube amps~Bias pots?

cellardweller

I've been digging around trying to detemine which amps HAVE bias pots already installed and semi-accessable.

I can't find anything about the B52 amps, not even a schematic (assuming I could interpret the schematic.)

So what amps have people here owned that come from the factory with a bias pot accessable?

Marshall always did, Laneys always did. Mesas don't need them.

Those B-52's sound like crap.

The Guitar Center around here is loaded with them. I plugged into a couple, (don't know which ones) they are garbage. You might as well get a Crate.

I say to each their own. I don't want to start a flame war but I can't just let bold statements like "it sounds like crap" go by without better qualifying it. BTW...I gave you the positive rep point. ;) just to show my sincerity. Besides...my feelings are hurt now because I own one.

Before buying anything I would recommend you test for yourself. I for one think the B-52 AT100 has some great sounds in it at a great price. A true tri-mode rectifier, all tube amp, loads of gain (if you're looking for that sort of sound). I peg it to be squarely between a Marshall and a Mesa in terms of sound output. Not a lot of features but it's a no nonsense sort of amp. The reverb is lame I'll say that much for it. It would be nice to have seperate EQ controls for both gain channels. It's no mesa but worth a look and a fair review.

I make comments and comparisons based on currently owning these amps;

Mesa Triple Recto Head - purchased new 2004
Univalve - purchased new 2005
B-52 AT100 - purchased new 2006
Peavey JSX - purchased used but in nice condition 2005

The mesa...hands down winner and works for just about anything but way too expensive for what it is (IMHO). I think there's a premium you pay just for the name brand here.
Univalve...very tasty for Blues/Rock and vintage rock. You "can" get metal sounds but not it's forte'. A whole different animal. I like it for the built in hot plate and low power. Great for studio recording at lower levels.
B-52...a solid rock/metal amp. Lots of gain with a sterile clean and loud clean channel (too clean if you ask me...I usually run a touch of distortion pedal into it to warm it up). Product support is very good with a 5 year warranty. I plug this box for someone who might be on a tight budget.
Peavey JSX...a bit like the B-52 with a few more features to rival the mesa but to me has a bit of a sizzly/buzzy sound to it. Too much money when new IMHO. It's for sale btw, hoping a work mate will take it off my hands in a week or so. If not, I'll post here to let someone else have a shot at it.

Bottom line, the B-52 isn't everyone's cup of tea, just like the VOX AC30 doesn't sound so hot to me...It's not my sort of sound. Each person hears things a little differently and reviews are a dime a dozen (my review could be way off base too). Get your butt down to the music stores and beat their stuff before you buy.

Peace

The tone of the amp reminds me of the old KMD tube head. It sounded great by itself, but if you got up on stage with it, you couldn't hear yourself. It's hard to describe. It's like a fake good sound. It lacks the growl of a Marshall and the graininess of a Boogie. It's just very one dimensional and doesn't strike me as a sound that would mic up very well.

People do hear things differently, but most Crate amps don't mic very well (distorted) no matter how hard the owner believes his sound is great.

Farview said:
The Guitar Center around here is loaded with them. I plugged into a couple, (don't know which ones) they are garbage. You might as well get a Crate.
Just wondering if you happen to remember if it was a solid state B52 or the tube (such as the AT100, or the "stealth" series.)?

I've read a couple of places that they (AT & ST series) come stock with extremely cheapo chinese tubes. I do not claim to know, but do you think this could be a contributing factor? Since you put it as "might as well get a crate" I assume not :o :(

Punkin~ have you had a chance to mic yours up? Since this would be my primary concern and usage, I'd be very curious to know/hear what kind of results you get and if you think the stock cheapo tubes could have contributed to Farviews revulsion.

Tubes do make a difference in the sound of an amp, but swapping new chinese tubes for new JJ's (or what ever) is not going to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

You would be much better off going with something of quality bought used.

You might even consider getting a POD for recording. I know it's not as sexy as a tube amp, but unless you are playing shows, the upkeep on a tube amp is just not worth it. The versitility of a POD is anotherselling point. Most tube amps are one-trick-ponies. Even if they sound great, it's only that one sound.

Farview makes some excellent points. If you're wondering why the small yet ever rotating collection of amps over here, it because of the never ending quest for the "perfect tone". No one amp has me compeletly settled.

A POD is an excellent idea. Some say it's too processed sounding but I disagree. Tweak-ability (if that's a work) is it's strong point...clean to max over drive and everything in between. If you haven't tried one out, you might take it out for a test drive while you're out shopping for your dream amp. I've got one and I still find it very useful to have on hand.

Back