Mesa Boogie dual rectifier problem. HELP!!

jho1986

I have a Mesa Boogie dual rectifier Trem-o-verb. I have taken it to an amp tech three times, but the same problems keep coming up. I know I should probably take it to a new guy, but the money is adding up and I'm hoping maybe some of you guys can maybe tell me what is wrong before I bring it in again.

Problems are only occuring in the "dirty, red" channel AKA channel 2. There are two significant problems:

1. Keep in mind this is the disortion channel. Lets just say I strum a chord and let it ring out. While it is ringing I can hear the level drop probably around 6 db in gain. I say gain because it also sounds like the level of distortion drops too. This drop in level is very random and happens whether I'm playing or not. Sometimes the level will stay dropped and randomly go back to normal for very quick studders. The amp tech thought it was a problem with the "relays" and I got them replaced. I also replaced all of the tubes.

2. This problem doesn't happen too often but still does happen so who cares. This is only on the distortion channel as well (channel 2). If I am not playing and just listening, there is a little hum like always, but sometimes the hum starts to grow. The hum also starts to chop up some until the hum becomes just a bunch of loud pops that continually increase in number. The only way to cure this is to throw it into standby and turn the amp off. The next time I use it, it works.

Thanks for any help in advance, I really do appreciate it.

I really don't know too much about that amp.... A power tube would be one guess, but you said you replaced them... A capacitor would be my second guess, not one that is out but one that is trying to go out.... just an idea though as its been a while since i have been deep into electronics

What happend when you plug something into the effects loop? Sometimes a bad switching jack will cause that problem.

Back