Meanwhile, back at the music store..

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was up there again tonight. Fender Twin Reverbs for $1499.99 (ack!) But that's not what this is about, I was just looking at them while I was waiting to order a couple things.

While I was standing there, the "associate" was trying to pull up a guitar on the computer for the guy ahead of me. A Fender acoustic/electric cutaway. The computer had no info on it. The guitar had a good layer of dust on it and I assume it came from the guitar room. Nobody could pull it up on the computer. It didn't exist.

The customer left with instructions to be contacted whenever they found something. The associate ran to another department... leaving the guitar there all alone... next to me... all alone... then it dawned on me.. I could grab that guitar that doesn't exist and scoot right out the door and... [SNAP!]

Well. That's when I came back to reality. It was just my 'magination :D

Don't get a Twin unless you need it for gigging. Hugely loud and heavy. BTW, I've heard a lot of issues with the '65 Reissue' models of Fender amps, go for the '68 Reissue' models.

Any chance an 80 model is as good as the 68? I see an 80 for $699 (or maybe there's a reason these are so cheap?). I had to lug a twin around many years ago and I swear it was heavier than my SVT head and cab.

BF/SF Twin Reverb | fenderguru.com

Last edited:
...The customer left with instructions to be contacted whenever they found something. The associate ran to another department... leaving the guitar there all alone... next to me... all alone... then it dawned on me.. I could grab that guitar that doesn't exist and scoot right out the door and... [SNAP!]

Well. That's when I came back to reality. It was just my 'magination :D

This was back before they invented security cams/recorders.. of course. :>)

Good you came to earth.
Risking jail for a junk guitar or spending crazy money for a heavy ass reissue both make no sense.
On the twin, go vintage or go home.
:D

As a former Twin owner ..D-my frickin Dog-120's no less.. :rolleyes: One word: Mark V head!
Well, ok that's not one word but... :>)

I went to CL, Fender Twin theres 16 qty for sale.....thats a lot.

real 1969 $1025, $1195 has original speakers...
1965 reissue $925
1980 $675 silver face
The TWin red button $950 1995
1975 $700
Brand New, few hours, $1000 cash...paid $1499
1967 $950....selling to "go Line 6 POD after many gigs with the Twin"
ReIssue 1965 has new transformer and some solder joints redone professionally , aftermarket reverb pedal (the stock one is awful) comment.

a couple post "too heavy for me" and "I dont need the volume" "unbelievably loud" .....majority just leave the spec there or say its "used a lot or very few hours on it.

I bet a $650 seller would take $500.

I'm guessing the 80 model needs better speakers. I'm not sure they make anything but the 'resissue' models these days. Unless you're gigging and need that volume (not miking the amps), get a Deluxe Reverb (which is still really loud!) or Princeton Reverb.

just from my reads, dont need any amps...but the Deluxe is a "LA studio norm" isnt it? 22watt etc...

i think for me Id get a SuperSonic 22, supposedly really versatile bit more grit on the dist and has beautiful cleans too. not sure about the reverb being any good...$500 +/- 50.

Personally I'm not a twin fan. Too big, too heavy, too loud and too clean. You have to crank that sucker way up to get any power amp tube distortion.

I like the deluxe, and one of my faves is boutique.
A Goodsell Super17. It is 18 watts that can go down half power. Does fender chime to marshally breakup and has the best vibrato and spring reverb I've heard.

yeah if I recall my short experience, it was too loud and scared me. lol
i had no clue what I was doing and all I know is it didnt have that "sound" I was looking for (before the days of internet where you just look up that sound of your favorite track)

2x12 is pretty heavy, solid wood instead of cheap board is heavy, getting older is heavy. aha
I guess its an amp for pedals?

yeah RFR...thats what I would want, a Fender chimey clean and a Marshall dirt channel

I gigged with a slightly smaller SF Pro Reverb in the 70s but for some reason had put JBLs in it so weight-wise a toss up. Today that might be something of interest to a pedal steel player but there’s very little reason to go there for any kind of studio or club use IMO. Too friggin heavy by about 40-50 lb for me to consider, and I can actually still pick one up. But why?

A Fender twin is too much power, for rock and roll tube breakup, unless you are doing huge rooms.

That being said, if you are playing huge rooms...a dimed twin sounds glorious!!

I have a '97 2/12 3-Channel Fender "The Twin" if anybody knows the amp I'm talking about. They only made it for a few years in the 90's I believe. Love it for gigging, paired with a Peavy 2/12 TransTube for stereo. I always record guitars direct with my pedalboard, but wanted to start trying mic'ing the Twin. Was tracking a blues tune about a month ago, so I figured 'no time like the present' and decided to mic it.

Hated it. I mean it didn't sound horrible, but was not at all up to my standards. Used an SM57 an inch off the amp on the edge of the cone, then right in the middle, then backed off the amp a foot, then two feet, then literally up on the grill- then finally after a few hours of tinkering, gave up and put all the tracks down direct. Had the Twin's volume in the 4-5 area, so it was loud as hell. Room is somewhat treated. What the heck am I doing wrong? Do want to try it again sometime. Maybe my pedalboard going through the mic'ed Twin might have sounded better, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting that "Twin" sound...

I have a '97 2/12 3-Channel Fender "The Twin" if anybody knows the amp I'm talking about. They only made it for a few years in the 90's I believe. Love it for gigging, paired with a Peavy 2/12 TransTube for stereo. I always record guitars direct with my pedalboard, but wanted to start trying mic'ing the Twin. Was tracking a blues tune about a month ago, so I figured 'no time like the present' and decided to mic it.

Hated it. I mean it didn't sound horrible, but was not at all up to my standards. Used an SM57 an inch off the amp on the edge of the cone, then right in the middle, then backed off the amp a foot, then two feet, then literally up on the grill- then finally after a few hours of tinkering, gave up and put all the tracks down direct. Had the Twin's volume in the 4-5 area, so it was loud as hell. Room is somewhat treated. What the heck am I doing wrong? Do want to try it again sometime. Maybe my pedalboard going through the mic'ed Twin might have sounded better, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting that "Twin" sound...

I have found a SM57 is great for recording a guitar amp. So, unless the mic is damaged, or there is a problem with the interface or DAW (assuming you are recording with a digitql interface into a DAW), the problem is most likely the sound coming out if the speaker. If the sound isn't great coming out of the speaker, the recorded sound isn't going ti be great.
What, specifically, is the problem with the recording?
Was it audible in the room?

Tweaking the amp is the most important step to getting a great guitar recording.

Back