LP terminology...

Do not pay 1000 bucks for that guitar. You can get a full SG Standard T for roughly that same price. I have a mini-hum SG Special. Pretty much that same model, except mine's a Silverburst. It's a great guitar, I love it, but I only paid 300 bucks for it.

A silverburst SG just popped up on the local craigslist for $650 or $850. I was going to look into it but I just started playing that custom SG so I really shouldn't be spending more $ on a guitar that I really don't need. Instead, I think I'm going to grab the Weber attenuator.

SGJ 120th anniversary. $500. Good or bad?
Sorry you think my brains bad because I'm asking questions about what I don't know. Wonder why you get such a bad rep around here...

Sorry you think my brains bad because I'm asking questions about what I don't know. Wonder why you get such a bad rep around here...

Lol. Relax dude. I'm just messin with ya. I'm answering your questions! Jeez. And I couldn't care less what my "bad rep" is.

Anyway, SGJ for 500....not too bad. They're not the prettiest guitars, but good bang for the buck. I think Rami has that exact guitar.

Excellent. It's about 30 miles from here and I've got Thursday-Saturday off. I'll see if I can scrape cash together and go play it. Guy's into Gretch and semi-hollow bodies. Claims it's only been played twice because he just couldn't get into the sound.
It has the dual tone cream/black pickups.

If I were shopping for a new double humbucker guitar right now, I'd be giving a long look to the current SG T models. They're gorgeous guitars at just under $1K. Minerman is sure happy with his. It looks stellar, sounds great, seems to play great.

Oh and RFR, good call on the nut width between the 50's and 60's necks. They're the same width. The 60's are just thinner in the other dimension.

You're getting it NOS? $500 isn't bad. Personally, I would look at used.

At the end of the 1990s, early 2000s, Gibson sold a ton of SG Specials with very nice lacquer finishes in cherry and black. Must have been just before the younger generation decided guitar-based music is for old people. I picked one up new at the time for $500. The quality of this guitar is excellent, and better than my 2010 Les Paul Traditional Pro. Those SG Specials have been showing up on the used market ever since, always for about the same price as they sold new. Personally, I would take one of those over a new SGJ for the same money. Mine is identical to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjEmSU_iCw

...or was, before I ditched those 490r + t pickups. I don't know why Gibson sticks to the 490-498 pickups on so many of their guitars. Somebody must like them. I found them dark and inarticulate.

Thanks for all the help!
No one discussed the neck I'm looking at specifically. I have huge hands, so I'm looking at the soloist neck that comes on the HP line (supposedly wider?). Sorry I didn't mention that in the initial post.

This all may be moot as the 36 months thing went away and it's now 24. Still, in the HP line, if SGs are still good option for killer Gibson tone, I could swing this fine little article for $45 a month. I'm not sure I like a sunburst SG. Doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe cherry or black (my other two guitars are red already). These have mini humbuckers, though. Differences?
More information...for the same price, I can get the "faded" series, and they have the 450/490 pickups instead of "mini humbuckers". Or are those the ones I should be avoiding? Lots of perks on this one, too. White edged pickguard looks nicer, adjustable 0 fret (is this worth something? Looks like it would make setting your action easier...), and those G-Force things that I'd probably leave the battery out of unless there's some great advantage to them...I can tune a guitar. :)

Appreciate all the help, guys. Yeah, my ego can take the gold on white cause there wouldn't be a lot of other people seeing it (and it didn't cost extra), but it's moot, as I won't be buying the one with the coil splits. Hate to sound like I'm waffling on this, but I just didn't have enough information to ask the right questions in the first post. Glad to know about the pickups! Sad that I can't get 36 months and a nicer guitar, but the SG looks very nice.

SG's are neck heavy. If you let go of the neck the head stock points to the floor. The body also tilts forward...It's just the way the strap mounts behind the heel. Also, they don't have as good a tuning stability as a Les Paul. The SG does however have much better access to the upper register of the fretboard.

All things.consisered I much prefer a LP over a SG. No contest IMO.

I love SGs. But..... different animal.
Why get an SG when you want a les paul?

2015= dark ages. Lol. Some say they'll be worth money in the future, but I'd NEVER buy one if those. :)

Also, I wouldnt buy one on credit.
Best value all around is used.
Studios are always affordable, traditionals are pretty good.

Save up and buy used.

The best bang is a used Lp classic or better yet a 70s LP. They are, and will continue to apreciate.

If you dont have a bunch of cash you could always get a studio for about 600 bucks depending on your location.

If you want a les paul "style" guitar, Hagstom swedes are great. New, under a grand. Ask miro, he has like 500 of them :D

SG's are neck heavy. If you let go of the neck the head stock points to the floor. The body also tilts forward...It's just the way the strap mounts behind the heel. Also, they don't have as good a tuning stability as a Les Paul.
None of this is true. Not a one of my three SGs exhibit any of this. To be fair, I wear my guitars low, right over my junk, and I don't have a gut making it stick out and lean forward. SGs are no more tuning unstable than a Les Paul. They both kind of suck due to Gibson's open book split headstock shape and break angle.

The SG does however have much better access to the upper register of the fretboard.
This is very true.

Why get an SG when you want a les paul?

This too. ^^^^

If you really wan a Les Paul, an SG will not scratch that itch. I LOVE SGs, but they're not Les Pauls.

If you just want a humbucking Gibson, then yeah, SGs fucking rock.

None of this is true. Not a one of my three SGs exhibit any of this. To be fair, I wear my guitars low, right over my junk, and I don't have a gut making it stick out and lean forward. SGs are no more tuning unstable than a Les Paul. They both kind of suck due to Gibson's open book split headstock shape and break angle.

This is very true.

I guess next time I strap a SG on I need to wear it slung low like you have them. I have the guitar much higher up when I play and every SG I've ever strapped on was bad neck heavy. To the point that if I adjust my amp with my left hand the guitar rotates and the headstock points to the floor as soon as I let go of the neck.

It's just an awkward feeling axe to me. The neck seems like it's a mile long. It's like strapping on a surf board almost to me

I guess next time I strap a SG on I need to wear it slung low like you have them.
A lot of people complain about SGs being neck heavy, so there must be something to it for many people to feel that way. I doubt all of those people are just regurgitating second-hand information. It just doesn't happen to me. Maybe it's from being slung low, maybe it's just my posture in general. And I even use slick straps. I hate sticky straps.

It's just an awkward feeling axe to me. The neck seems like it's a mile long. It's like strapping on a surf board almost to me
One of my buddies plays LPs exclusively, and he says the same thing. He hates SGs because there's no neck joint heel for reference. He says "it's all neck!"

Yeah, mine does dive a bit too--and I wear it high. No big deal. It's never a problem while I'm playing. But when I take my hands off and move around, the needle points south.

SGs are neck heavy. The center of gravity is all skewed.
However when one has it slung down low at "cock rock" height, the neck is angled more so than at waist height. So in essence you are altering the center of gravity by altering the pivot point.

A les paul has a body significantly heavier than the neck and the strap attaches at the point midway between the 16th and 17th frets.

The SG attaches at the heel roughly at the 22nd fret. Also, the weight of the body is not very much.
Hence nose-dive.
:D

SGs are neck heavy. The center of gravity is all skewed.
However when one has it slung down low at "cock rock" height, the neck is angled more so than at waist height. So in essence you are altering the center of gravity by altering the pivot point.

A les paul has a body significantly heavier than the neck and the strap attaches at the point midway between the 16th and 17th frets.

The SG attaches at the heel roughly at the 22nd fret. Also, the weight of the body is not very much.
Hence nose-dive.
:D

There ya go. The pee-pee makes all the difference!

I've got one of those; a 2014 SGJ with the special happy anniversary logo inlayed at the 12th fret. Glad to hear that you can go play it - it's a great guitar but the neck is a little chunky (IMO) and it'd be worth putting your hands on before you commit to buying. All things considered, it's a great guitar at a fair enough price but it's not an LP. May nip the GAS bug in the bud for now though. :)

And there it is. I really just want a playable guitar with the Gibson humbucker sound. Seems like an SG would do that for a few bens less. Haven't heard back from the guy with the SG :(, but I'm going to go to the local (90 miles away) Guitar Center/Sam Ash (they're right across the street from each other) Saturday to see what I like in SG/LP playablity land. If my wife has her way, I'll be buying new stone for the kitchen floor and some nice backsplash tiling, but I reminded her that she just bought a new $20k Altima SL and a $600 Galaxy 7...It's just about my turn. :)

Maybe my turn should include the Vox AC15 1X I've been waiting so patiently for...and hey, what's up with the new W model @ $1500? Ah, hand wired...sounds out of my budget.

Played the 50s neck and it was uncomfortable for my hands (long, fat fingers). The 60s neck was a bit easier on the hand, but still hard to chord. The HP neck, like I thought, was more like my super strat (wide and thin with a flatter radius). The guitar I was playing at GC in Raleigh was a $3200 Les Paul Standard HP, so I went across the street to Sam Ash to see if they might have an SG. They had a nice cherry LP Studio HP that had been scratched on the back and had some minor damage to the pickguard that I got for less than I was considering paying for the SG HP...pictures in the latest purchase thread. Doesn't have a brass nut, it's supposedly titanium, but this one's not adjustable AFA I can tell. Sweet guitar! Sustain for days (like my Mockingbird).
Didn't get the C1X like I wanted, and actually had to order the AC15 C1. You'd think someplace the size of Raleigh, NC would have a Vox amp in store...well, they did have AV and VT models, but those are all modeling amps. I've already got one of those I don't like or use. :)
Thanks for all the help everybody.

Last edited:
Back