Looper pedals

Dave Holmes

I've been thinking about getting a looper. I really just want something very simple, and have been looking at the TC-Ditto and Boss RC-1 pedals.
Of the 2 I'm slightly swayed by the LED ring of the Boss...
Just wondered if there're any other basic loopers I should consider before I make a final decision?

After much YouTube watching and review reading I'm now erring towards the ElectroHarmonix 720 looper...
Looks very easy to use and can store 10 loops.
A bit more expensive at 120 quid but should be able to fund through sale of my Korg ER-1 (MKII) which I've sampled extensively and don't use all that much...
1 out 1 in.

If I wanted something simple, I'd go for the Ditto.

I sold mine because I needed a few more functions. Been through most of them: Ditto x4, Pigtronix Infinity etc. Ended up with a Boomerang III. It's just perfect.

I just went through this search a few months ago and passed on the Ditto. Very short loop time and expensive for what it is. The Digitech Jamman Express is better (better LED, more intuitive footswitch, double the loop time) than the Ditto and cheaper (you can get a used one for $40). The only downside of the simple loopers is they don't store past loops so you have to redo them each time. For that reason, you might go up a level and get one with memory. I thought the Donner Deluxe looked like a pretty good value for a more elaborate one. The only reason to buy a Ditto imo is if pedal board space is at a premium. The Jam Man is slightly bigger (but still small).

Last edited:
i want a stereo reel to reel tape deck. make a loop and record. when you play back you can turn the motor off and the playback continues. each repeat is slower and lower in pitch. this was used on Hendrix's 1983... a merman i should turn to be from the electric ladyland album. on the vocal. the word god. ive seen guys using loopers as solo performers and its nice but only if you cant maintain interest without one.

No matter what looper you choose, make sure its one with 2 switches - doing the 'double tap' needed for single switch pedals (like the original Ditto) never works well.
Being able to store loops (or even pre-recorded tracks) may not be something you're interested in, but storing multiple different loops (done live) can make a difference depending on our music.

No matter what looper you choose, make sure its one with 2 switches - doing the 'double tap' needed for single switch pedals (like the original Ditto) never works well.
Being able to store loops (or even pre-recorded tracks) may not be something you're interested in, but storing multiple different loops (done live) can make a difference depending on our music.

Thanks man (thanks everyone!)
I'm pretty much set on the EHX-720 right now... The Boss RC-30 does keep trying to pull me in but the more I read (Reddit has for once been quite useful) and hear the more I keep coming back to the EHX...

Having read more I've realised that the ability to store loops is gonna be a must for me.

Still need to get a UK buyer for the Electribe before I can pull the trigger... It's now up on that auction site so we'll wait and see!

Hm, I'm not sure about the Ditto, but on the Jam Man Express you would play the chord progression and on the 1 beat just tap the pedal and on the next 1 beat tap it again. It worked easy and great. To erase you just hold the button down. To overdud you tap it again while a loop is playing. It's easy.

The only downside of the pedal is it doesn't store loops. But since I just use it to practice solos over chords that's not a big deal. I actually like that it doesn't store loops b/c it makes me get timing perfect rather than reusing some past loop where I nailed the timing. I feel it makes me a better player.

But, if I were playing live I wouldn't use it. I'd go with stored loops in that case.

Back