looking for my next guitar

tigerotool

i'm selling my ibanez guitar and bass on ebay right now. they have no resell value no matter how much stuff i put into them (they're like pimp my ride specials). 2 music stores wouldn't give me hardly anything for the both of them and they both have emg's but they play like beginner ibanez's. so i decided to go the ebay route.

i no longer want to play bass, i just want to play guitar (i guess it's my new year's resolution). anyway, i'm looking at my next guitar. i want a good guitar for metal with no tremolo. i've narrowed it down to 3 options:

1. Schecter C1. put an emg 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. buy thick strings and tune low (CGCFAD). $500-$800

2. Schecter Omen 6. put an emg 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. buy thick strings and tune low (CGCFAD). $350

3. Custom warmoth guitar with a vip body or soloist body. put an emg 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. buy thick strings and tune low (CGCFAD). (God only knows how much money)

so in essence i'm asking about build of the guitar. is a c1 really that much of a better build than an omen 6. is it worth the extra money? the c1 is made out of mahogony with a set neck (that should produce les paul like sustain). the omen 6 is made out of basswood and it has a bolt-on neck.

Last edited:
i'm not trying to spam but here's the guitar and bass i'm selling on ebay just so you can get an idea of what i'm going through. there's no need to move this to the classified section. just help me make up my mind on which guitar i should get. And remember I PLAY LEFT HANDED. I'VE BEEN PLAYING LEFT HANDED FOR 3 YEARS AND I WILL PLAY LEFT HANDED UNTIL THE DAY I DIE. thank you.

guitar
bass

If you are tuning down that much, you may want to consider a longer necked guitar, such as using a WARMOTH BARITONE NECK.

You will not go wrong buying Warmoth stuff. Just remember that it will have basically no resale value, but then that is true of any electric guitar which does not say "Fender Strat," "Fender Tele," or "Gibson Les Paul" on the headstock. But for quality, you will be hard pressed to beat a Warmoth parts guitar, as long as it is assembled well.

Also, I am guessing you are playing nu-metal, in which case I am told that EMG's are the only way to go. If you are not, then for god sakes get some pickups that actually sound GOOD, something other than EMG’s, which sound like shit (which I guess is what nu-metal guys are after, but what do I know - I like guitars with character).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Don't forget to look at Carvin. Left handed is a no charge option on their guitars. And they're very good guitars.

I used to play bass in a crappy hardcore band, and one of our guitarists played schecters almost exculsively, and i honestly don't think he ever made it through an entire song in tune. We might've actually sounded decent if he wasn't totally out of tune constantly. I only played them a couple times and I wasn't really impressed.

Perhaps it's the player....

mtjames said:
I used to play bass in a crappy hardcore band, and one of our guitarists played schecters almost exculsively, and i honestly don't think he ever made it through an entire song in tune. We might've actually sounded decent if he wasn't totally out of tune constantly. I only played them a couple times and I wasn't really impressed.

I have a Schecter C1 elite I could drop off a building and it will stay in tune...

i'd have no idea what to tune a baritone guitar. there is no standard for baritone guitar. i guess drop A for me (AEADGbB). nobody tunes lower than drop A on a 7 string. drop G would just be dumb. no band i know of on a six string tunes lower than drop c using zakk wylde strings 11-70.

i like bands like 12 stones, pillar, demon hunter etc. bands where every member is a christian but they don't write blatant songs about God. they just write songs about life experiences from a christian point of view and they use lots of metaphors in their lyrics.

i think emg's are good. if the 81 is too trebly i switch to the 85 and it's fine. if the 85 is too bassy i switch to the 81 and it's fine. you can hear every note no matter what you set the amp to.

tigerotool said:
i'd have no idea what to tune a baritone guitar. there is no standard for baritone guitar. i guess drop A for me (AEADGbB). nobody tunes lower than drop A on a 7 string. drop G would just be dumb. no band i know of on a six string tunes lower than drop c using zakk wylde strings 11-70.

i like bands like 12 stones, pillar, demon hunter etc. bands where every member is a christian but they don't write blatant songs about God. they just write songs about life experiences from a christian point of view and they use lots of metaphors in their lyrics.

i think emg's are good. if the 81 is too trebly i switch to the 85 and it's fine. if the 85 is too bassy i switch to the 81 and it's fine. you can hear every note no matter what you set the amp to.

Well, as a godless heathen, those would be another style of music I know nothing about. Kindda like Creed then? Either way, not for me.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

i think i found it. a schecter c7 blackjack. it's left handed, 7 strings, & baritone 26.5" scale $600-$700. the duncans in there should sound good.

a set of emg 707's could be hard to install even for a professional cause the pickup is housed in a bass pickup housing so you have to route the body in order to fit them in the guitar.

Back