Looking to have a guitar set up in the Chicago area

Whoopysnorp

I have an axe or two that could use a professional setup. Does anybody know of any good guitar techs in or around the city to do this?

If you're on the south side or in the south suburbs, try this place.....

PLAYERS GUITARS
6961 W. 111th St.
Worth, IL 60482
(708) 671-0710

They've been working on my guitars for years and everyone there is extremely friendly. One of the co-owners is the former lead guitarist for Enuff Z'nuff (Gene Strenz a.k.a. "Gino Martino"). All 3 of the guys who work on guitars there all do excellent work. Usually, if it's a quicky, minor adjustment they don't even charge you at all. :)

I'm a northsider, so I'll probably go with the Chicago Music Exchange guy (thanks anyway, Buck--your guy sounds great but it's a bit of a drive). And yes, I'm here in Chicago indefinitely.

Hahah nice to see another south sider... were abouts are you... I live in Mt. Greenwood.

Buck62 said:
If you're on the south side or in the south suburbs, try this place.....

PLAYERS GUITARS
6961 W. 111th St.
Worth, IL 60482
(708) 671-0710

They've been working on my guitars for years and everyone there is extremely friendly. One of the co-owners is the former lead guitarist for Enuff Z'nuff (Gene Strenz a.k.a. "Gino Martino"). All 3 of the guys who work on guitars there all do excellent work. Usually, if it's a quicky, minor adjustment they don't even charge you at all. :)

ignorant question, but why does a guitar need setup? or what can a setup do to my fender. It seemed to work from the factory.

In most cases a guitar should be set up good when you first bought it. In time the little ajustments that are made to setup a guitar, get moved some way some how. Getting you guitar setup not only puts these ajustments back to were they need to be, you can also set the string height to your likeing.

That is a very very crud and quick explanation.

Hmmm just seen your post count....?

chadsxe said:
Hahah nice to see another south sider... were abouts are you... I live in Mt. Greenwood.

I'm in Garfield Ridge, but our studio is in Evergreen Park near 95th & Pulaski at my partner's house.

Thats awesome

The studio is about 2 mins from my house. What kind of music do you do? What kind of setup do you have?

Some of our stuff.....

Sonar

Event PS-6 powered monitors

MindPrint DTC (Dual Tube Channel)

MindPrint Envoice

RNC

ART Dual MP

Aardvaark Q10

TC Electronic M300

Tascam CDRW-700

4' X 6' soundproof vocal booth

Large and small moving panels for isolation

Some of our mics....

Rode NTK

Marshall MXL V69 (Mogami)

A pair of MXL 603's

Rode NT-3

Shure SM-57 (5 of them)

AKG C3000

SM-58

We use Monster and Blue cables on everything

We don't really record ourselves anymore because we're too busy recording everyone else. At present we're just finishing up a 5-song demo from a Jimi Hendrix tribute band and are also doing a full 14-song CD of original pop/rock songs for a guy who has some major connections. We just finished a Rap duo last week and they're coming back for the 5th time in another month or so. We have over 20 bands or acts and most of them are repeat customers. We record everything from Gospel, Rap, Funk, Blues and R & B to Country, Pop, Alternative, Metal, Latin, and Jazz. At this point, I don't think there's a genre of music we haven't recorded.

chadsxe said:
Hmmm just seen your post count....?

Hi, Thanks for the info. I just got into playing guitars about 4 weeks ago but I've been pretty involved in the recording side of things for a while.

Back