Looking to Boost/Thicken Solos

takk

I need some kind of effects pedal to bring my solo's to the front of the mix when playing live. A little more volume and some delay would do the job, just looking for the right pedal. The music is heavy-crunch sounding, think progressive punk/metal. Any recommendations?

Let me preface by saying I really dislike pedals. Ive always been a straight into the amp kind of player. I have played with pedals and owned a few, but Ive never liked them much.

except one.

Do yourself a favor and try out a Fulltone Fulldrive2. In my opinion, its the only pedal worth owning. It does just what you want, and all of the stated things above. Its just great, and it sounds good into any amp I have heard it in. Its a little pricey, but I would take it over a full pedalboard of junk.

H2H

Ditto on the EQ pedal. I use a stupidly cheap Danelectro Fish'n'Chips pedal. Boost the mids slightly and the overall level and no one will have trouble hearing your solo.

If you shun pedals, then try this old school trick. If you have a Les Paul style guitar with two pickups and individual volume controls:
- Set the pickup selector to the middle position
- Roll the bridge pickup volume down to '8'
- Roll the neck pickup volume down to '2'

You'll have a good bridge pickup sound with this setting. When you want a boost for the solo simply set the selector switch to the bridge pickup. You'll get a decent boost and it will be a little brighter too.

Last edited:
Back