looking for the best way to wire my electronics

typecaste

I have a strat style cort guitar. It has a tone knob, volume knob, and a 5 way selector. I have an EMG 85 for the bridge pickup, a single coil for the middle pickup, and another single coil for the neck pickup.

How would I go about wiring the guitar for the least amount of noise, and the best quality. Does anyone know of a good place to buy electronic components for guitar? My buddy has a similar setup with an emg 85 and has alot less noise and interference than I do, I really want to clean up my guitars sound.

thanks for all the help!!!

-bartek

Cleaning up single coil noise can be hard. First be sure that a good cable yields the same noise level as what you use today.

Assuming that is OK, the next step might be shielding. A quick serach on Google will yield a variety of articles on how to do this and how to tell if it might make a difference.

Ed

I have decent sheilding, but i'm getting the most noise from adjusting the tone and volume knobs. I am not really interested in the single coils too much, mainly just my emg 85. I am very confused when it comes to resistors, capacitors, and the knobs.

Are you talking about scratchy, staticy noise as you turn the knobs? that sounds like bad potentiometers. You can get replacement pots at http://www.allparts.com/
http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_potentiometers
Or any electronics/radio supply shop.

You can get the same value pots as what you have, or switch to a 1Meg (instead of 500k) one for the volume pot, that'll give you a little more top end. You'll also want a audio taper for the volume pot, doesn't matter as much for the tone one, but I prefer linear for the tone. Tone ones are generally 250K I think. If you have a digital multimeter you can measure the ones you have to be sure.

I'd leave the topology of the circuit alone (i.e. just pull off one wire at a time from the old pot and solder to the same pin on the new pot)

reshp1 said:
You can get the same value pots as what you have, or switch to a 1Meg (instead of 500k) one for the volume pot, that'll give you a little more top end. /QUOTE]

Why is that?

Back