Long Term Price Appreciation/Depreciation

Fusioninspace

So I'm reading the thread on MIM strats and some people are talking about how great the resale value is on american vs. non-american etc.

I certainly agree that the 40 year old "classics" (Gibsons and Fenders) get top dollar these days. But what has been the story on guitars from that last 10 years or so??? Plus I wonder what the story will be in 10-20 years on these as well???

Will a top quality, but low cost/low production import be something to watch?

What if the next Jack White spits out a series of hits on a 1996 Hamer Slamer or a 2003 Jay Turser?

On the whole, American made guitars hold their value better than imports. Because so much of the value of a used instrument is based on being "original," and what with the POS electronics used in most imported guitars, this will probably continue to be true for a very long time.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Are you buying a guitar as an investment?

Do you buy a guitar with the intention of reselling it?

I think there may be some low cost guitars that keep/increase their value,such as old Danelectro's,but the nature of the beast pretty much dictates that not happening.It would be pretty much wild speculation to buy a cheap guitar hoping for it to take off in value.

Back