Line6 Pod 2.0 or Focusrite Saffire 6 with pluins??

adventureboy

I have a bit of a dilemma and I'm not sure what to do with regards to set up on my next recording project. I plan to buy Reaper as my new DAW in the new year. I have a 90's Squier Strat and a Yamaha RBX bass with EZ Drummer for drumbeats. I also have a Focusrite Saffire 6 preamp. What I'd like to do is assemble my EZ drummer beats in Reaper then lay down my bass lines through the Focusrite preamp, no probs there.

My dilemma is that I don't know whether I should buy a line6 Pod 2.0 (potential xmas gift from wife) for recording or use the Focusrite Preamp with a guitar amp sim suite such as Waves GTR3 for equal or better results. I want to play my guitar lines in a single continuous live take for each song but using automated effects switching between verse/chorus etc. What is my best scenario - is there any point in having the Pod? I know the Line6 Pod can be automated/controlled with a DAW. What are my options and best course to follow before any money is spent? Thanks :)

Do you like the sounds that the POD creates? Unless you want the portability of the POD (for example using it live, or bringing it to a friend's house to jam), go for PodFarm2 instead - this is the same amp sims and FX in a plug-in (or stand-alone) software package.
You can download the simple PodFarm1 for free to try out, but have to go for the full version to use it as a plug-in.

I would rather plugin myself. However for whatever reason, even at low levels the latency is always weird for me with plugins unless I'm running them standalone app and applying the plugs inside the DAW later.

That's pretty much why I use podfarm for scratch tracks.

Why can't you get the pod for christmas demo it along side some plug in sims and see what results you get? At least with the Pod you get a sound card out of the deal right?

If it were me i'd get the pod and demo some free amp sim plugs and make my decision afterwards.

My vote is for the POD....I love the sound of my XT Live. Also....you can download a crap ton of audio patches/ banks from line 6's website. Once those are downloaded you can tweak them to your liking by using their "monkey"/"Edit" software.

I use the line out on my XT Live....connect it to a line in on my peavey 14 mixer....which is connected to a Delta 1010...then Sonar.

Last edited:
I use a pod X3 and Amplitube SVX and they both work great. the pod is not affected by the latency of the computer but you have to commit to the sound. I don't use presets I treat them like a regular amp

Why not try the Behringer BDI21 it is cheap has chips but capable of getting some good sounds, a handy tool to have for anyone who players bass. some good reviews on bass forums.

I realise this is an old thread but just wondered if any of you still use the POD?

I have the 2nd versions of the both the red and black (bass) beans - my kid uses the red one for guitar practice and I use the black one for recording bass.
I've tried a couple of plugins (mainly NI Guitar Rig) but I seem to get better results using the POD.

I have the old red bean Pod XT and, if I remember correctly, I got all the add on amp packs for it when they had a package deal on them a number of years back. It has been packed up for around 5 years as I mainly practice on acoustic or, if it's late and I can't wake the wife up with a loud amp, I'll use ITB sims like GTR3 or Amplitube. I'll have to get it out sometime and remind myself why I packed it away. :D

Back