les-paul style 3-way switch as coil-splitting switch?

Gear_Junky

i suspect it can work, but the question is: what happens in the middle position?

I'm thinking of putting it in the new inexpensive archtop I got, towards the cutaway, where gretsches have their master volume (i really don't want a master volume). Or I might put it next to the pup selector.

thanks!

P.S. I'm not talking about using "the" pickup selector switch for coil-splitting. I'm talking about using a second switch-craft 3-way switch dedicated to that purpose. The reaons:

I want to use full-size pots (already ordered), so I don't want to use push/pulls, which only come in small-pots. Actual spdt switches are kind of on the ugly side and this guitar will have gold hardware, so I need something a bit purtier.

other suggestions are welcome.

I am comfortable with soldering and have installed coil-splitting on my solid-body guitar, i've done shielding, pup replacements, etc. I also know how to rewire archtops (tying threads to controls, pulling them out of pup cavities or f-holes, etc.).

Thanks!

It seems to me that you might be happier with a 4-position, depending on what you're looking to achieve from your coil tapping efforts. If I was doing it, similar to how you're describing, I'd want the following options: 1) both humbuckers normal; 2) bridge tapped/neck untapped; 3) both p'ups tapped; 4) bridge untapped/neck tapped. In this, a 4-position switch, in conjunction with the 3-position switch, will yield a total of 7 tone shaping options. Personally, I cringe to think about concocting the wiring harness, to achieve what I've described using a 4-position switch, but I can see where the patience would yield a very versatile guitar. Also realize that when you're using a humbucker as a single coil (tapped), you're going to experience a slight volume drop, so be prepared to compensate with a tick or two up on the volume control(s). I've tried to envision your idea with a 3-position switch, and just cannot think of a tapping combination that would leave both 'buckers untapped. Essentially, position 1 (or 4 if you'd rather) would be the "Off" position.

Good luck with your idea! There are folks that think I'm crazy for wanting to build a lap steel guitar with a 3-position switch, and wiring a la Fender Esquire.

Matt

Gibson (and, I presume, others) make a two position version of that switch for just that purpose. With the three way, you would just have the tap in two of the three positions (the middle and one of the outside). It will probably be hard to get the actual Gibson switch, but I'm sure someone is selling them. You could also go for a mini-switch with a 3/8" bushing (yes, they are out there - check with mouser).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

thanks, guys. yes, i know how to wire it with a push/pull, i've done it before.

I also suspected what Light said about middle position being the same as one of the other 2.

I'll have to look for that 2-way, then.

The problem with miniswitches (for me) is not finding them, but the appearance.

Thanks!

Back