Les Paul studio or standard?

jimistone

long standing member
I'm trying to decide between 2 Gibson Les Paul's.

A) Les Paul studio 2006 model with hardshell case for $500.
dark burst with gold hardwear

I owned the LP for a few years and sold it to a friend for $500. He told me he will sell it back to me for the same $500. It has very little fret wear, is in excellent condition, and has a set of seymore duncan 1959 paf's that absolutely kill. (I installed them)

B) Las Paul standard...not sure what date....no case. $800.
black with nickel/chrome hardware.
The same friend has this guitar too and said he would sell me either one.
This guitar has more playing wear but is still in decent condition. Has those 498T (or whatever the hell) pickups I'm not crazy about. (So, It would be another 200 bucks for some decent paf's...plus probably $70 for a good case). Still, it would be cheap for a standard.

What do you guys think? ( I know....buy them both, but I don't want to tie that much up in guitars I don't really need right now)

Last edited:
I don't really need right now[/b]

Need? Need! You sound like my wife! Seriously, is it for live use or recording or both? Go with the one that pleases you - sound and looks. I prefer LPs with the binding, that's the 'extra' you get with a std.

I like the binding too. But, I'm not sure if I really like black body/rosewood fretboard. Black screams for an ebony fretboard. Rosewood looks pale in comparison (pardon the pun)
:)

Sounds like you are leaning towards the Studio in the way you worded your description of the two. I own a 2009 Studio, but since I don't play out live anymore it really doesn't matter to me what it looks like as long as it sounds and plays the way I want. I am pretty happy with it.

As far as your dilemma, its a good price for either one. If your playing out a lot I would consider the Standard, if not get the one that you know sounds good, the Studio.

(As a side note, even though I don't play out anymore, I do plan on getting a Standard someday, once I financially can!)

Get yours back. It already has pups in it that you like, the price is right, and it not having binding won't make a damn bit of difference in your recordings. :D

I hate those 498 pups personally.

On a personal note; I would guess that since it was offered to you, it's up on the market. It might bum you out for letting it get away if it were sold to someone else.

You plug them in and play them both, and buy the one that is best for you. I have two LPs - one is amazingly beautiful, the other very, very plain (It's black). The beautiful one is harder to play and doesn't sound as nice as the black one, which plays better, sounds better, and if I ding it, I don't get upset. The pretty one sits on the wall on a hanger and hasn't been plugged in for a year!

Never buy a guitar based on anything but how well it plays and sounds!

When I had my first decent sized wedge of money to buy a new bass, I went into the music store and picked up every 5 string bass they had WITHOUT looking at the price ticket. I found one (a Peavy) and at that time didn't even know they made basses. It was the nicest one there, and when I looked at the ticket, wasn't remotely the most expensive. The LP I bought because I wanted to shout about having one - stupid!

yep the way its written, sounds like the Studio has the pickups you installed that kill and then the other description is not really what you like as-is and no case you'll spend $200 more etc..etc..

if youre up for a project guitar maybe the second one offers more gear fun, but the Studio sounds like its ready to go and the hardshell case included.

Get yours back. It already has pups in it that you like, the price is right, and it not having binding won't make a damn bit of difference in your recordings. :D

I hate those 498 pups personally.

On a personal note; I would guess that since it was offered to you, it's up on the market. It might bum you out for letting it get away if it were sold to someone else.
No, the same guy (my boss) has both guitars and wasn't trying to sell either one. The only reason he is selling to me is because when he bought the studio from me he told me that he would sell it back to me for the same $500 he paid me for it, if I wanted it back at some point.

He got the standard when he was at a concert and hanging with a couple of bands in their bus after the show. (he is friends with all the guys in Blackstone Cherry). The guitar player in another band (not BC...can't remember who he said it was though) had, I think, 3 guitars that he wanted to sell. The black LP standard was one of them. He bought it for 800 bucks.

I went ahead and bought my studio back from him for $500.

I haven't seen the black standard because it's at his dad's house in another city. He is supposed to be getting it in a week or so, when he visits his dad. He told me he dosen't want to sell both the LP's but he is going to let me keep the black standard for a while and if I decide I prefer it I can give him back the studio and $300 and keep the standard.

Now THAT is an easy guy to deal with. In all fairness, he is not only my boss, but a pretty close friend of mine as well.

So you have your studio back now? Cool.
Yes, I'm using it on a collab that I'm working on. It really sounds good. The Seymore Duncan 1959 buckers and the Peavey Bravo tube amp I'm using are a good combo. I'm also using an analog chorus in the chain. But, not heavily chorused...just a subtle barely noticeable chorus on it.

I went ahead and bought my studio back from him for $500.

Excellent! Good choice

I know it's personal , but almost every guitar I have sold, I wish I had back.

Depends on circumstances..usually they get sold because of needing money, rather than not liking them.

hell of a price and with pups you like. i always figured if you want something back a second time that says a lot.

Excellent! Good choice

I know it's personal , but almost every guitar I have sold, I wish I had back.

Depends on circumstances..usually they get sold because of needing money, rather than not liking them.

yeah, a few years ago my daughter was in college and needed a couple of thousand for books to start off a semester when her grant money was delayed.
She blindsided me with it and I needed to raise $500 of it quick. Selling the LP studio was a better option than a loan...be cause I knew he would sell it back to me. He would have just let me have the money but that ain't the way I roll.

Go with the studio !! You know what it is, and you’ve already replaced the pups. I like my guitars bound, but if it plays well, sounds great, then go with the cheaper Studio

Edit...ahhh, see what you did !! Good choice!!!

Back