Les Paul Price

bobbo

les paul price

I tried a les paul a few months ago (I'm pretty sure it was a classic) and I liked it a lot. Now I'm wondering....
I checked out prices on the internet, and came across this quote for a new Gibson Les Paul Classic Cherry Heritage Sunburst w/case for $1280. (I put the company down before but editted it out). I guess I would just like to ask some of you if you believe this would be a decent price, or should I just keep on looking at stores for used ones. I'd feel kind of weird buying a guitar from the internet without playing it first. I don't know. Any suggestions from you guys? Thanks.
bobbo

[Edited by bobbo on 08-25-2000 at 09:18]

Is this new or used? If it's new, that's a great price and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it over the internet. If it's used I would make sure the company had a great satisfaction policy and I could return it if it was worn, or broken.
Generally, I have bought several electric guitars without playing them (all new, though). I think an electric guitar, barring defects, should play like it's counterparts. On the other hand, an acoustic I will never buy without playing first. There can be vast differences because of the exact cuts of wood, the exact angle of the neck, even the color and pattern of the guitar.
Why did you delete the company? Let me in on the good deals, too!!

I guess when I was typing it, I felt like I was a salesperson which I'm not, just someone who wants one of these guitars. The company is called guitar trader, which I have never heard before, and I believe these are new guitars. So maybe I'll do some more research on the company and terms.
Thanks
bobbo
I think this is the url for the guitar, different color, but same one.
http://www.guitartrader.com/Guitar1...2&itmid=2511&eflag=0&curitempos=3&numitems=30

[Edited by bobbo on 08-25-2000 at 15:57]

bobbo;
If it's a Gibson product I would sugest you try befor you buy. Gibson has the worst quality control in the industry.

See ya;
RussP

Guitar Trader is a local store here in San Diego. I shop there but I would never buy something over the net from them. Not all Les Pauls' are the same...go play many of them and buy it locally. You might pay a bit more but it's a big investment and it will serve you well for years. I bought a 1977 Standard--Gold Top and I still love it and play it almost daily...the pleasure that guitar has given me, I can't describe. The heritage sunburst is really beautiful, you can find one if you look.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may just shop around. This town I'm in never has anything to try though, so I'll have to make a trip to mpls/st.paul for some shopping.
Thanks again.
bobbo

I always hear people say Gibson has poor quality, but I have to wonder if they actually own any Gibson products. I have 2 LP's, a CL-10 acoustic, and just sold my Thunderbird bass. I have really enjoyed them all and never had and quality problems!

I have 3 Les Pauls. A '69 Custom, a '73 Deluxe and a '99 DC Standard. The 2 older Pauls have never had any problems as long as I have had them. The DC Standard however had a wire in the volume circuit that was not wired correctly. This was on a brand new guitar. Also, one of the machine heads is very tight and the adjustment screw had no affect. There was also a slight intonation problem that I think is due to a string gauge change. I bought the '69 and '73 used and have been very pleased with them. I bought the '99 new and once I addressed the issues it had, I really have come to love it. But it did come with a quality inspection ticket and did have a wire hanging loose in the circuitry. So I would have to conclude that it's possible that their quality control has been a little lax.

I have strong feelings about buying guitars (I currently have about 10, one on the way and 7 or so traded, sold or stolen): unless you're buying something to put on a stand in your living room (had a couple of those, too) play it before you buy. Quality control is not the issue: go to a well stocked music store and try out all of any one model of any guitar and try to find 2 that sound alike. Sound is ephemeral and the qualities we like in a given instrument may depend on very subtle differences in the age of the wood or whatever. Another "hot tip" is simply to play through several amps until you find a combination that rocks. You can't do that over the internet. Over a grand for an untried instrument is too much for me. My main electric is a Les Paul Deluxe that did not impress me until I tried with different strings and a different amp. (Then I lurked until the owner decided to sell it, 13 years later.)
good luck with it.
John

I agree with the gibson control being not what it used to be. I have had a few gibsons and played many more, and really if it was made after around 85, I just can't dig it.
If you want a REAL Les Paul, made in the Original Kalamzoo factory, (where gibson used to be -- before moving to Nashville) check out Heritage Guitars. I think it is http://www.hertiageguitars.com I am not sure though. But their Les Paul (HM-150) is way more of a real LP than the modern gibson or gibson reissues. And, the price is better too. They have a great resale value at guitar shows too. They are all hand-made and all that stuff. Bascially Heritage is to Gibson as G&L is to Fender.

MIKE

Back