Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    4,151
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 152 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    2369162
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    True, very true, but with Marshalls I could say "well at least they have good guitar tone".
    Nah, you just be a committed Mesa player

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clinton, NC
    Posts
    5,616
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 434 Times in 408 Posts
    Rep Power
    10005770
    Some think that all Mesa players should be committed...padded rompous room, here they come!!!
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clinton, NC
    Posts
    5,616
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 434 Times in 408 Posts
    Rep Power
    10005770
    Have you ever heard the acoustics in an asylum? They're AMAZING for Mesa stacks...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,423
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    17472061
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    True, very true, but with Marshalls I could say "well at least they have good guitar tone".
    You know, it's funny, because the one thing I'll say for Nickelback albums is they have KILLER hard rock mixes.

    How've you been, anyway, man? Aside from your shitty taste in amps?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the eye of satan's butthole
    Posts
    36,076
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 554 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPeterson7 View Post
    You know, it's funny, because the one thing I'll say for Nickelback albums is they have KILLER hard rock mixes.

    How've you been, anyway, man? Aside from your shitty taste in amps?
    Haha, I'm good dude, how about you? I'm about to embark on building my own shitty amp too! I'm gonna do 50w Plexi clone.

  6. #56
    jokerone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBright View Post
    know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

    No, but if you hum a few bars...

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,423
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    17472061
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Haha, I'm good dude, how about you? I'm about to embark on building my own shitty amp too! I'm gonna do 50w Plexi clone.
    Badass - Post up progress pics if you can. I spent some play time with an ancient plexi recently and the thing was fucking awesome - even at low volumes surprisingly dark and spongy for a Marshall. I kind of wanted it, but it didn't really come into its own until it got louder than I could get away with in my place. :lol: It was at a studio around here, where a guy I knew was releasing a new line of pedals, so I'll have to see if it was one of their house amps. I'd love to try building an amp, but it's a bit of an undertaking for me - I might want to try an OD pedal first, though.

    I'm good - buys at work these days (posting on my lunchbreak), but playing a ton outside, and I just finally released my debut album (spamming it over in the publicity thread). Don't go check it out though, you'll hate it - it's all Mesa-sounding, instrumental bluesy shred rock and metal stuff, which is about as far removed from what you listen to as I can imagine.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the eye of satan's butthole
    Posts
    36,076
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 554 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPeterson7 View Post
    Badass - Post up progress pics if you can. I spent some play time with an ancient plexi recently and the thing was fucking awesome - even at low volumes surprisingly dark and spongy for a Marshall. I kind of wanted it, but it didn't really come into its own until it got louder than I could get away with in my place. :lol: It was at a studio around here, where a guy I knew was releasing a new line of pedals, so I'll have to see if it was one of their house amps. I'd love to try building an amp, but it's a bit of an undertaking for me - I might want to try an OD pedal first, though.
    Yeah find out what it was if you can. "Dark and spongy" tells me it could have been an actual 60s era Plexi. They were mild and had tube rectifiers. Like pre-1969. I can't imagine one of those things doing duty as a lowly house amp.

    I'm good - buys at work these days (posting on my lunchbreak), but playing a ton outside, and I just finally released my debut album (spamming it over in the publicity thread). Don't go check it out though, you'll hate it - it's all Mesa-sounding, instrumental bluesy shred rock and metal stuff, which is about as far removed from what you listen to as I can imagine.
    Haha, that's great dude. Congrats. No, that aint my thing, but I know lots of guys that do like that stuff. I'll give them your link.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,423
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    17472061
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Yeah find out what it was if you can. "Dark and spongy" tells me it could have been an actual 60s era Plexi. They were mild and had tube rectifiers. Like pre-1969. I can't imagine one of those things doing duty as a lowly house amp.



    Haha, that's great dude. Congrats. No, that aint my thing, but I know lots of guys that do like that stuff. I'll give them your link.
    Right on, man, thanks!

    Yeah, idunno what it was, but it was old as fuck, pretty beat up, and sounded fucking glorious. The studio website mentions a "Super Lead 100" and while my memory is hazy from this summer it looked a lot like what the 1959 Plexi reissues look like, just about 60 years old, of course. :lol: It probably was an original, with a matching 4x12, and it's one of the few Marshalls I've ever played that I really got on with. I'd love to be able to rock out on something like that more often, but it wouldn't be done justice in a home studio.

    On my next release I want to track live drums, and this place is definitely one of the local studios I'd want to talk to when the material is ready to go.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicer than Gary
    Posts
    944
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    6961688
    I love my Carvin V3.

    I also love my 11 rack. (Pro Tools 11 it came with, not so much.)
    Wow, now I feel really stupid. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 21:12
  2. Rock Guitar Tone & Phasing
    By peritus in forum Recording Techniques
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 14:39
  3. New Heavy guitar tone.
    By ecktronic in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 06:56
  4. Slightly more advanced heavy guitar tone questions
    By amra in forum Guitars and Basses
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 02:45
  5. Micing Heavy Guitar Tone -
    By BBad199 in forum Microphones
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!