Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    True, very true, but with Marshalls I could say "well at least they have good guitar tone".
    Nah, you just be a committed Mesa player

Thanks
    Some think that all Mesa players should be committed...padded rompous room, here they come!!!
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thanks
    Have you ever heard the acoustics in an asylum? They're AMAZING for Mesa stacks...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thanks
    True, very true, but with Marshalls I could say "well at least they have good guitar tone".
    You know, it's funny, because the one thing I'll say for Nickelback albums is they have KILLER hard rock mixes.

How've you been, anyway, man? Aside from your shitty taste in amps?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPeterson7 View Post
    You know, it's funny, because the one thing I'll say for Nickelback albums is they have KILLER hard rock mixes.

How've you been, anyway, man? Aside from your shitty taste in amps?
    Haha, I'm good dude, how about you? I'm about to embark on building my own shitty amp too! I'm gonna do 50w Plexi clone.

jokerone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBright View Post
    know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

No, but if you hum a few bars...

Thanks
    Haha, I'm good dude, how about you? I'm about to embark on building my own shitty amp too! I'm gonna do 50w Plexi clone.
    Badass - Post up progress pics if you can. I spent some play time with an ancient plexi recently and the thing was fucking awesome - even at low volumes surprisingly dark and spongy for a Marshall. I kind of wanted it, but it didn't really come into its own until it got louder than I could get away with in my place. :lol: It was at a studio around here, where a guy I knew was releasing a new line of pedals, so I'll have to see if it was one of their house amps. I'd love to try building an amp, but it's a bit of an undertaking for me - I might want to try an OD pedal first, though.

I'm good - buys at work these days (posting on my lunchbreak), but playing a ton outside, and I just finally released my debut album (spamming it over in the publicity thread). Don't go check it out though, you'll hate it - it's all Mesa-sounding, instrumental bluesy shred rock and metal stuff, which is about as far removed from what you listen to as I can imagine.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPeterson7 View Post
    Badass - Post up progress pics if you can. I spent some play time with an ancient plexi recently and the thing was fucking awesome - even at low volumes surprisingly dark and spongy for a Marshall. I kind of wanted it, but it didn't really come into its own until it got louder than I could get away with in my place. :lol: It was at a studio around here, where a guy I knew was releasing a new line of pedals, so I'll have to see if it was one of their house amps. I'd love to try building an amp, but it's a bit of an undertaking for me - I might want to try an OD pedal first, though.
    Yeah find out what it was if you can. "Dark and spongy" tells me it could have been an actual 60s era Plexi. They were mild and had tube rectifiers. Like pre-1969. I can't imagine one of those things doing duty as a lowly house amp.

I'm good - buys at work these days (posting on my lunchbreak), but playing a ton outside, and I just finally released my debut album (spamming it over in the publicity thread). Don't go check it out though, you'll hate it - it's all Mesa-sounding, instrumental bluesy shred rock and metal stuff, which is about as far removed from what you listen to as I can imagine.
    Haha, that's great dude. Congrats. No, that aint my thing, but I know lots of guys that do like that stuff. I'll give them your link.

Thanks
    Yeah find out what it was if you can. "Dark and spongy" tells me it could have been an actual 60s era Plexi. They were mild and had tube rectifiers. Like pre-1969. I can't imagine one of those things doing duty as a lowly house amp.

Haha, that's great dude. Congrats. No, that aint my thing, but I know lots of guys that do like that stuff. I'll give them your link.
    Right on, man, thanks!

Yeah, idunno what it was, but it was old as fuck, pretty beat up, and sounded fucking glorious. The studio website mentions a "Super Lead 100" and while my memory is hazy from this summer it looked a lot like what the 1959 Plexi reissues look like, just about 60 years old, of course. :lol: It probably was an original, with a matching 4x12, and it's one of the few Marshalls I've ever played that I really got on with. I'd love to be able to rock out on something like that more often, but it wouldn't be done justice in a home studio.

On my next release I want to track live drums, and this place is definitely one of the local studios I'd want to talk to when the material is ready to go.

Thanks
    I love my Carvin V3.

I also love my 11 rack. (Pro Tools 11 it came with, not so much.)
    Wow, now I feel really stupid. Thanks.

Thread Information