Kay 752 amp - does this sound normal?

I recall the tapping on the capacitor top and almost nothing heard until the loose one and it created a very noticeable static sound, fairly loud too. I dont know what all the part sounds would make, but after the solder joint was fixed it was much quieter when I tapped it.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember Gerald Weber (from Kendrick amps) saying that he does the same thing to a live amp before he zips it up. So it sounds like a plan.

Hey Beagle,
Have you hit a dead-end with this?

I hope not man. :(

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I put it aside for a bit to work on some more pressing things, but I just opened it up last night, and I think I've found the problem. As I may have mentioned earlier, among a few other components, I replaced the filter caps because the one (combo cap) in there looked original. When I opened it up last night, I noticed that the ground connection and one of the hot leads were barely hanging on. The ground one in particular looked suspect. In the process of taking apart the chassis to get to it, both of those connections came undone.

That's where I had to stop last night. So, I'm hoping that once I get those wired up again well, it should be all good to go.

I only replaced three or four components while replacing the switch and performing the mod that arcaxis suggested for the power cord, so it has to be one of those things. And when I saw those poor connections last night, it seems likely that they were the culprit.

I'll be getting to it soon, here. I still have a few other pressing work things on my plate. But I'll post another update once I've gotten to it.

Crossed my mind today for some reason.
Optimistic progress bump! :)

I opened it back up and addressed the loose connections I mentioned above. I thought for sure that would have fixed it, but it didn't. So it was put on the side burner again while I put out a few more important fires. Once I open it back up, I'm going to test for continuity in all the parts I replaced. I didn't touch that many things, so it has to be traceable.

Back