Kahler tremelos suck.

psmith66

Of course, I don't use wang bars. But it's kinda funny when you basically need a tool box to change a string (clipper, hex key, vise grips).

Just a gripe.........

I'd be satisfied if someone would explain to me wh after all these years vibratos are still being sold as "tremolos," which is just plain ignorant.

At least Bigsby got that much right.

bongolation said:
I'd be satisfied if someone would explain to me wh after all these years vibratos are still being sold as "tremolos," which is just plain ignorant.

At least Bigsby got that much right.

To elaborate on bongo's post, "tremolo" means changes in volume and "vibrato" means changes in pitch. Whammy bars do not change volume, they only change pitch.

Who's Bigsby?

Most older gibsons that had a whammy bar (see,I didn't use either word and so cleverly avoided getting into a semantic pissing contest)were Bigsbys.
It was huge,cast iron with springs that looked like they came off a small motorcycle.The sound is well known.Think any Neal Young solo.Neal should pay royalties to Bigsby (or vice-versa,I'm not sure).

Tom

# Who's Bigsby?

Kids!

If I'm not mistaken, Bigsby _invented_ the thing. If not, they were probably the first to market it commercially.

Back