Just to share: Interview with Eric Johnson

famous beagle

I'm in the process of writing a book about him, and I had the good fortune to interview him in his private studio in Austin. I live just north of Dallas, so it was about a 4-hour drive for me. I just thought I'd share my experience with those who may be fans.

I’d forgotten how much prettier Austin is than Dallas and was really struck by that when I went down to meet Eric. It had been a while since I’d spent any time there. Anyway, Eric was so great. He really is just one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. The first thing he did once we got inside (after offering me a drink) was ask a bunch of questions about me: if I had family, if I was in a band, what kind of music was it, etc. And he was just 100% there through the whole interview—not distracted at all. When I was speaking, he was looking at my eyes; when I was playing something (to help make my question clear), he was looking at my fingers. He was complimentary of my vibrato, and he was really complimentary of my Hagstrom Swede (reissue) too. I don’t know if he was just trying to be nice, but he made several comments on it as he was playing it about how it felt better than a Les Paul and some other things as well. It was funny how differently in sounded in his hands. We weren’t amplified, but as soon as he started playing it, the tone was instantly rounder, darker—very much like the way his sound is when plugged in. Some of that may have had to do with the pick (he was using his little Dunlop jazz picks, and I was using a more typical medium pick), but I have to believe that a lot of it came from his technique.

The interview lasted about an hour, and then he gave me a tour of his studio, which was just beautiful. It had a nice, big live room with amazing acoustics—a bunch of diffusers on the ceiling and walls, but they were all very nice-looking with stained wood, etc. It was certainly a very inspiring-looking place. There were a bunch of his Marshalls set up and Twins and a stand with about 10 guitars. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to play through his rig, but that was probably for the better, because I’m sure I would have been a nervous, fumbling mess.

He had a really nice Tonelux mixing board, and of course a bunch of nice rackmount goodies as well. We talked about the analog and digital thing for a bit. He said they’re trying to still do some analog recording (he had a nice Studer 24-track and several half tracks), but they’ve had a lot of issues with bad tape (dropouts, etc.) because the people that really knew how to make the tape aren’t around anymore. Anyway, I just couldn’t imagine him conducting himself better in any way. He was a total class act all the way around.

Attachments

• Eric and me (web).JPG
    Eric and me (web).JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 119
There are wank noodlers, and then there are TASTY wank noodlers!!! Fast and furious only goes so far when it's just scales and arpeggios. Eric always made stuff sound fun.

wow I bet he had QRD 13 diffusors in there, sounds good. Is this book going to be published officially? I've always been a fan of EJ.

wow I bet he had QRD 13 diffusors in there, sounds good. Is this book going to be published officially? I've always been a fan of EJ.

Yes it'll be published by Hal Leonard. It'll most likely be done by the end of the year at the latest because it'll be featured at the Winter NAMM show in January.

That's great. you are more than welcome to share any other stories and/or pics of your meeting. :thumbs up:

I bumped into him one time. Well, okay, he bumped into me and didn't excuse himself. :mad: I let it go because he probably didn't know who I was. And for that matter, I didn't know who he was until someone pointed him out.

Good luck with the book.

So, where do we find the book?

It got pushed back a bit because of other projects. I'm in the process of recording the guitar tracks for the book right now.

It's in the same series as this Eric Clapton book I wrote, so this will give you an idea of what it'll be like:

Play like Eric Clapton, Play Like - Hal Leonard Online

I actually just finished recording all the guitars for another one I wrote in the same series, Play Like Robben Ford. Here's a scratch mix of "Revelation" (from his Talk to Your Daughter album); I was happy with the way it turned out.

For these books, I start off recording a scratch guitar track (usually rhythm guitar) along with a click and send that to another studio in Milwaukee (near Hal Leonard's office). They use it to record all the other instruments that appear on the original recording. In this case, the keys (Rhodes) weren't recorded yet, so you're hearing the rough drums, bass, my scratch rhythm guitar (which actually won't even be in the final mix because it doesn't exist on the original), and my "keeper" lead guitar. (Excuse the click; it's part of the stereo backing mix the studio sent me and so I can't eliminate it.)

Anyway, we'll use the same process with the Eric Johnson book. Several of the songs, such as "Desert Rose" and "Zap," are going to take some serious woodshedding on my part!

Attachments

• Revelation - Lead guitar with rough backing mix.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 0
I bumped into him one time. Well, okay, he bumped into me and didn't excuse himself. :mad: I let it go because he probably didn't know who I was. And for that matter, I didn't know who he was until someone pointed him out.

Good luck with the book.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience (or at least not a good one). He really was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, but I guess everyone has off days. Where were you when that happened?

No, it wasn't a bad experience at all. Kind of funny. Liza Minelli was a bad experience. Her 7 ft tall body guard prevented me from calling her a bitch. But that's a different story.

We were doing a gig and I needed one adaptor for some odd reason. I ran over to Heart of Texas music and the sales guy was helping me at a counter. This guy came in and even though there was plenty of space at the counter with no one else around, he kind of nudged me out of the way to talk to the sales guy. Stopped me in mid-sentence. I thought it was a little rude. But the sales guy completely forgot I was there. I didn't recognize the guy. Why would I? Never seen him before. Ray Hennig, the owner, came up and started to talking him about amps. The guy said he had a new CD coming out the next day (mid-90s, not sure which one). They chatted for a minute and both went to a back room to look at amps.

The sales guy goes, "Do you know who that was?" I said, "Yeah, that was Ray Hennig." He said, "No the other guy. That was Eric Johnson" I said, "Well he didn't have to push me out of the way".

No, it wasn't a bad experience at all. Kind of funny. Liza Minelli was a bad experience. Her 7 ft tall body guard prevented me from calling her a bitch. But that's a different story.

Well, don't leave us in suspense.

Back