Jumping Playing Live

fender1999

Anyone out there know any tricks to jumping on stage while playing? I've been working at this for sometime now and it just seems that the guitar stays up when you come down and throws off my timing.
Do players hook the back of the guitar to their belt or something like that?

One time on stage in a band we played a five Doors song medley
with the last song being Touch Me; just when the music stops and the vocals start I had jumped with my guitar and came down on my cord and ripping it out of its end; so there we are with a broken end sticking out of my amp with about 60 watts of roaring hum instead of the split second of silence we should have had.
Didnt stop me from jumping again though. As far as the technique of jumping, I never gave it much thought and havent done it for years but when I did I never had a problem except for ripping my cords out.

another question..

I bought this extra-long strap and now my guitar floats just below my knees which looks sooooo cool.
the only problem now is that I can't pick the strings anymore (I still can fret notes when holding the guitar almost vertical). is there any arm-extension available or do I have to wait until my fingernails got long enough? ;)

Get a video of the who... Best guitar-show tutorials. Be carefull when you try that windmill-guitarstroke though. :D

Yeah, that's what I was going to advice; get a tape of the who. Pete townsend is reknowned for all that stuff.

About that windmill. God that hurts when you get it wrong. I wouldn't do ti on stage until you can get it right 95% of the time; no make that 100%.

BTW, I wonder if the Pete is still doing all that stuff still. I know they were touring around England a few months ago.

I got an answer

I play in a punk band so jumping is at least half the show(helll with music like that jumping is more like all of the show). Anyways i play bass, and whenever i jump i hold the neck of the guitar on whatever fret i am playing on, and push it down(or whichever direction i want it to go) so that there is a lot of tension in the strap. This way the guitar wont float up on you or jerk the strap loose.
Hope that helped

Simon

Krystof01 said:
About that windmill. God that hurts when you get it wrong.

Didn't PT himself botch a windmill on one of those reunion/farewell tours? Thought I remembered a pic of a bandaged right hand.

Queue

Back