It's allliiiiivve! (Warning, large images)

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Hello home recording boards!

Particularly observant posters may have noticed a few threads from me in the past few months saying things like "I want to build a pickup from scratch" or "soldering is stupid." Well with the advice I got in those threads I have finally completed my masterpiece! The Abomination!

The premise of this instrument is pretty simple: 3-man punk bands have about one more member than they really need. The guitarist/vocalist should really be covering bass duties as well.

To that end, I bought a short-scale jazz bass from Rondo, removed the A, D, and G strings, replaced them with E, A, and D strings from a guitar and tuned the whole thing to dropped D (D (bass) D (guitar) A D). I could now play power chords with one finger!

Unfortunately, the bass string didn't come through as loud as the guitar strings, so I decided a needed a new pickup. Here follows that tale...

I started by chopping a popsicle stick into fourths and gluing a column of 4 neodymium magnets between them.
Abom1.png

I then wrapped that in wire a couple thousand times (as one does), soldered some slightly thicker wire to the ends, wrapped that a few times, neglected to take pictures of that whole process, and dipped the whole shebang in parafin wax.

I drilled holes in my bass underneat the low D string and set my pickup in there.
Abom2.png

The pickup itself is held in place with duct tape
Abom3.png

I drilled a couple extra holes in the pick guard and mounted an extra volume pot and guitar jack for the new pickup.
Abom4.png

I then restrung it as before. This was actually the hardest part since an electric guitar's D string is a few inches too short to comfortably sit on a shortscale bass.

As you can see in the picture, the string is held on more by hope and eldritch dealings with abominations from beyond the stars than by physics.
Abom5.png

(Oh and also a twisty tie...)

So that's what it looks like and how it was made. Here's how it sounds:

The only processing I applied to this was to normalize the volume. I just plugged in a FastTrack Pro, plugged the bass into the left channel and plugged the guitar into the right. (My plan for the rest of the evening is to play with tone!)

What do you think?

Why don't you just run a guitar into a pitch transposer? It would accomplish the same thing in a far less retarded fashion.

I think it's fucking awesome! In no way is it really practical and it has little to no chance of sounding good, but hot-damn that's a cool idea. Let's hear it with the guitar strings distorted.

I think it's fucking awesome! In no way is it really practical and it has little to no chance of sounding good, but hot-damn that's a cool idea. Let's hear it with the guitar strings distorted.

I'm with Greg. I love the ingenuity! (And I've got a short scale PBass I don't play at all...hmmm)

haha great stuff...

I think my short scale wouldve handle it a bit better as its an eb3 copy...guitar strings fit easily..it also has a three way switch for two humbuckers...hell how board am I??? naw prolly beyong me lol

10/10 for ingenuity :)

That is kickass - even getting a sound through your homemade pickup at all is awesome.

Can you find a longer D string anywhere? A lighter gauge A string from another set? This cannot be allowed to fail!

It's a bit Pre of the USA meets that something Disney bad that had the one string bass.
VERY interesting but....interesting.
Why didn't you swap the split bass PU for a dirty humbucker?

Creativity, ingenuity, and a general disregard for common sense... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone actually suggested that I use Bass VI strings instead of regular guitar ones since they'd be a little longer. I'll have to find a set and try it.

I actually spent an hour or so last night trying to figure out how to get the best tones out of it. I'm thinking I'll run the guitar pickup through my Marshall and the bass one DI through my Bass Balls pedal.

I know how PotUSA strung they're instruments, but I'm not familiar with the Disney band you speak of, rayc.

The reason I went with a second pickup instead of just switching to a better one is that the guitar frequencies are much louder. If you listen to just the right channel of the mp3 above, you can hear the bass to some extent, but it's far too quiet to get a good mix. Plus, with two jacks, I have a lot more control over my final sound.

Thanks VHS - Fine Job! After our many perplexing discussions relating to "The Abomination" I have found found peace. This post, and the comments it generated, have lifted the fog. I have seen the light - Whoo!

For those of you who just don't get this - I completely understand. Dig deep and you too will find peace about this. Remember - it is rightly named The Abomination

Note: This comment is coming from a true audio purist (some might even say snob).

Why don't you just run a guitar into a pitch transposer? It would accomplish the same thing in a far less retarded fashion.

wheres is the fun and credible creative genious in that!!! booo...

Steve.

Incredible. Really effin incredible. Good job.

I cant wait to hear some sounds come out of this fucking thing.

dude!, find a drummer and start a band!!

just the two of ya...

you can call yourselves "the brown stripes"

jk ;)

this is quite interesting. i like the effects on the bass string. i might make the guitar strings a little nastier. just mho.

cool creation.

later...

Excellent, man. Glad you got this to work out. I like the two separate outputs; I bet you could make some good sounds with the guitar distorted and the bass clean.

Exactly. Fuck it, it's fucking cool. What more do you need? :D

That must have been a really cool project, too, building that thing. :D

Also, has anyone ever told you you look like Devin Townsend, pre-skullet? :p

Exactly. Fuck it, it's fucking cool. What more do you need? :D

That must have been a really cool project, too, building that thing. :D

Also, has anyone ever told you you look like Devin Townsend, pre-skullet? :p

Thanks.

*Google's Devin Townsend* The guy from Strapping Young Lad? Nope. I've never been compared to him before. Ironic that you'd say pre-skullet though, since I have a mo-mullet (Mohawk up front: mullet in the back. Alright!), which is pretty similar to a skullet.

Thanks.

*Google's Devin Townsend* The guy from Strapping Young Lad? Nope. I've never been compared to him before. Ironic that you'd say pre-skullet though, since I have a mo-mullet (Mohawk up front: mullet in the back. Alright!), which is pretty similar to a skullet.

Yeah, that's him. It's REALLY tough to find a picture of him from before his cancer-survivor phase on the net (he didn't actually have cancer, he just looked less healthy than your average chemo patient), but this is the best I came up with:

devin_townsend.jpg

dtb_pic.jpg

Idunno, I think you two look a bit alike.

Back