Issue soldering Strat volume knob

I only solder every now and then so bear with me -- I've had this old Strat kicking around for years and the volume knob has been awful since I got it (well used at that point). I replaced the pickup selector 4 years ago and managed to not mess it up too much. The knob tended to cut in and out randomly if turned down (I usually keep it maxed out at 10 99% of the time).

I had an issue dealing with the grounding, the knob would do almost nothing if I turned it to zero after I soldered a new one in. The ground wire from the trem was not soldered and possibly hadn't been in a long time (still trying to find old pics to confirm) so I figured to solder that to the back of the pot and instead of bending the 3rd lug back, I made a short wire and soldered it from the lug to the back of the pot near where the output wire is and it finally worked.

Now it's not a major issue -- it mostly works but if I turn it to zero and give it a little jiggle the sound usually cuts back in and the knob will stop functioning properly until I jiggle it some more and it goes back. I'm assuming this is a result of my soldering and a bad joint but I just wanted to confirm the little wire to the 3rd lug thing I did is okay and if there is anything else to consider? I don't *think* I burned the pot but I find it difficult re-soldering some of the wires that are close together on the back of the pot without a bunch of wires coming unsoldered and me trying to grow a third arm to keep it all in place.

I refuse to solder to the back of a pot ever. Collect all of the wires at the lug so that you know they all connect well, and run something like that short wire of yours from the lug to a ring connector or washer around the pot's bushing/threads.

Like a loose washer inside...? I may give up and take it to someone at this point - it's a small pot compared to the typical Fender replacement pots I see and it has less real estate and it's covered in a bunch of solder now and I don't have a desoldering braid. I checked all the joints and reheated some and now it's back to basically never turning off completely again.

I refuse to solder to the back of a pot ever.

Why...what's the big deal with that?

All my 4-knob guitars have their pickup wires and jack wires soldered properly...but, all of them also have an additional ground wire running from one pot to the other, soldered to the back...plus all the ground wires from various switches, caps, all terminate at the backs of the pots.

That's an awful lot of wire to try and connect to the lug...not to mention, I've seen lugs snap off from too much bending and pressure.

I mean...what's the downside to soldering to the back of the pots...???

Thanks but I think I've got it now. I took a bunch of pics when I replaced the pickup selector a while back and it looks like the trem ground was soldered to the middle tone pot originally. I don't think it should matter but I soldered it back on there and now knob works properly even if I jiggle it.

I mean...what's the downside to soldering to the back of the pots...???
Aside from the fact that it's a whole lot of fucking around with cleaning and scouring/scoring and needs a whole lot of heat? It's just a hell of a lot easier to wrap a wire around a washer, solder, and stick it on there - not just hanging out loose in the cavity, but over the shaft of the pot, where it gets smashed down and makes a connection when the pot gets attached to the pickguard/whatever. The actual connection to the pot case is mostly just "best practice" for noise purposes, and actually just redundant in a well-shielded control cavity.

If you're afraid of over stuffing the lug, then collect them in mid-air, tape them off, and run one wire to the pot lug.

Pots are cheap. Replace it if you think it's damaged. Otherwise you might want to remove all the globs of old solder and start over.

Aside from the fact that it's a whole lot of fucking around with cleaning and scouring/scoring and needs a whole lot of heat? It's just a hell of a lot easier to wrap a wire around a washer, solder, and stick it on there - not just hanging out loose in the cavity, but over the shaft of the pot, where it gets smashed down and makes a connection when the pot gets attached to the pickguard/whatever. The actual connection to the pot case is mostly just "best practice" for noise purposes, and actually just redundant in a well-shielded control cavity.

If you're afraid of over stuffing the lug, then collect them in mid-air, tape them off, and run one wire to the pot lug.

Well, OK...you can do your own variation...but I don't see any one of those more "better/effective".

I just find the pot case the most logical, and easily accessible for that kind of grounding work.
I like the washer idea...BUT...it may totally change the height of the stem relative to the knobs VS body.

AFA dangling it all mid-air...yeah, that could work too if you have the room, but like I said, when there are other switches besides the pots, and you've got some caps in there for added tonal variations, etc...the pot case still comes out as the easier and more accessible way to go....and I like the added grounding/noise thing.
I've got 40 year-old guitars that were done like that...and I just followed the approach. :)

In the end, you go with what works for you.

Back