Inst. Input vs. Effects to Send\Return

What are the pros and cons of using and amp's Effects Send\Return jacks vs. going from the guitar, to the effects, to the amp. Is this a matter of preference or situation, or does one definitely work better than the other?

Thanks

I prefer the effects/return because most pedals do not have true bypass on them (meaning that the signal from your guitar still passes through electronics in your pedals even when their off). This can effect your tone. But, if you use the effects/ return, the signal doesnt pass through any electronics.

gitrguy87 said:
I prefer the effects/return because most pedals do not have true bypass on them (meaning that the signal from your guitar still passes through electronics in your pedals even when their off). This can effect your tone. But, if you use the effects/ return, the signal doesnt pass through any electronics.

Hmm...that makes sense. I always hated how my tone was drained away by effects pedals.

Thanks

It's a matter of putting the effect in before your preamp, or after it. Another words, do you want to compress the preamp distortion (send/rcv), or distort the compressed signal from the guitar (in line).

juststartingout said:
It's a matter of putting the effect in before your preamp, or after it. Another words, do you want to compress the preamp distortion (send/rcv), or distort the compressed signal from the guitar (in line).

Hmmm...If you are using a tube amp, wouldn't that kind of jack up your nice overdriven tubes sound?

Newbie-Doo said:
Hmmm...If you are using a tube amp, wouldn't that kind of jack up your nice overdriven tubes sound?

No.

But both methods have their place so you just have to experiment.

Back