I'm now officially skint

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
I just commisioned a 2000 quid guitar build. I will be my first (and hopefully last) genuinely very good guitar.

I just commisioned a 2000 quid guitar build. I will be my first (and hopefully last) genuinely very good guitar.
What kind of timeframe until they get it to you?

And, as Ido asked, what specs did you end up going with?

is it going to be made by crimson guitars? would like to know more, that's a once in a lifetime kind of guitar.

is it going to be made by crimson guitars? would like to know more, that's a once in a lifetime kind of guitar.
Yeah, it's by Crimson. Visited the factory and was impressed both by thir set up and the fact that all the guys there really seemed to love and care about what they are producing.

They're also really helpful and easy to deal with.

It's a 6 to 9 month build process depending on their workload.

Spec is as follows:

Wood:
5 piece neck through, maple spliced with ebony
Ebony fretboard
Burled maple top
Spalted ash wings
Subtle archtop in a telecaster shape

Electronics:
Duncan JB in the bridge position, Jazz in the neck position
Master vol/Master Tone - coil tap on the tone pot - I want the option of a crisp clear single coil neck tone
Three way pickup selector
Telecaster style control plate

Hardware:
All hardware to be finished in black nickel (http://extramagnet.com/i/b/neocube-black-nickel.jpg), probably by Schaller
Though body stringing, with a set up similar to the Crimson 45RPM quilt top
No tremolo
Graphite nut

Dimensions:
25.5" scale
1.625" width at the nut
Modern C
Compound radius fretboard
Jumbo frets

Yeah, it's by Crimson. Visited the factory and was impressed both by thir set up and the fact that all the guys there really seemed to love and care about what they are producing.

They're also really helpful and easy to deal with.

It's a 6 to 9 month build process depending on their workload.

wow, I'm very envious, look forward to finally seeing it once it's done, that is amazing

wow, I'm very envious, look forward to finally seeing it once it's done, that is amazing
Me too! I've never spent anything like this on a musical instrument before and probably never will again.

From everything I've heard about Crimson their reputation seems to be increasing so their prices are likely to go up. I'm gonna struggle to afford it but I figured if I didn't do it now I'd be waiting will I'm 50!

Cheers, I decided that it was time that I got a really decent high end guitar about 9 months ago and couldn't find anything from the mainstream manufacturers that was really what I wanted. I don't like the balance or short scale of a Les Paul and I've never played on an SG that I like the feel of. Fender do the right sort of feel and look of guitar that I like but don't seem to commonly do the hardware that I want, looked at a bunch of other stuff, PRS, Fernandes, Ibanez etc. but even the ones that fit the bill seem to have wanky adornments on them (ornate bindings/inlays) or be too pointy/shreddy. Either in look or neck profile.

Also, I would like to buy something British and while the Chapman's I looked at were very good value for money, they were still a bit of a compromise and have come out of a factory in the far east.... that only left one choice!

Making progress - will be complete and on its way to me next week; I really hope I get it for Friday as I have a gig on Saturday!

NeckThrough.jpg

Dude, I'm envious... That's an awesome looking top on there. Are they going to keep it natural and just seal it with oils?

Dude, I'm envious... That's an awesome looking top on there. Are they going to keep it natural and just seal it with oils?

Yeah, its going to be stained black and taken back to a black/grey oil on water look.
Its English elm.

The neck through is maple and ebony. I'm really pleased with the spalting in the ash body too. There's a cool couple of knots in the top too either side of the bridge pick up. They look like they're "holding" the pickup.

Yeah, they emailed me to tell me. Looking gorgeous. I should have it in a few days.
I really hope that I get it for this weekend actually as, aside from the awesome surf forecast, I have fuck all to do except play my guitar and record. First weekend I've had in ages where I don't have any DIY to do or learn any new tracks for the band so I can actually get my gear set up and record!

Last edited:
Back