I'm in the market for an Acoustic, maybe Acoustic/Electric, and need some guidance.

Macpb

Hello,
I'm in the market for a nice acoustic/electric for my Mother. Personally, I'd like to buy her a nice acoustic, but she figures she wants electric too, since I have an old practice amp I don't use very often. She's had her eye on a 700 dollar Washburn, and despite the fact that it looks and feels okay, it just doesn't seem right. Firstly, and maybe not so important, she isn't a good player. She learn some basic chords as a kid, and just likes to strum and hum every once in a while. I can't, despite my efforts, justify the purchase of a 600+ dollar guitar for her use.

So my first question is going to be: Acoustic, or Acoustic/Electric? What kind of sacrifice to quality am I making by buying an electric, when for the same price I could buy an acoustic? Would the electric be of less quality to make up for cost of electronics?

Secondly, which brands should I steer away from?

Also, how much money, as a minimum, should I be looking at for either an Acoustic or electric? Is there a drastic quality difference the most expensive they come?

Any other last little tidbits I forget to ask? I really appreciate any response, since I'm really not informed on Acoustics. Thanks.

-Mac

In the $600 neighborhood, you probably have a lot to pick from. A lot of people with beginer skills have $200 or $300 guitars. At $600, you should be able to get a real fine instrument.

I can't advise you on what trade-offs you make by having on-board electronics. Logically, there must be some…

I have a Simon and Patrick accoustic, which is a real fine mid-range acoustic, IMO. Look for a Simon and Patrick Accostic Electric, or an Accoustic Electric from Seagull (the same canadian company offers both brands). I have no idea whether she'd like the Seagull or S & P more than the Washburn.

Also, I don’t get why you want to steer her away from having an accoustic electric, and steer her away from a quality ($700) instrument, especially if she has "high-end" tastes. I was a rank beginner when I started guitar lessons, using a $30 used Kay accoustic. After several months, once I convinced myself I was going to stay with it, I started looking for a real guitar. Several of the guys in my guitar class (adult ed) had $250 Yamahas. I didn't like the way they sounded, or played, or looked. So I got the S & P, which cost (mid '80s) twice as much, beyond what most beginners would spend. In my opinion, $250 is a lot of money to spend on an instrument you don't like. Your mother has told you what she likes. Show her some alternatives, but you might have to be careful that you don't end up getting her something she doesn't like.

Another one to consider is Seagull. They are made by the same parent company as the Simon and Patrick. Very nice for the $$. I would politely steer her away for an AE. There just doesn't appear to be a need for her to have a pickup, and you could spend the money on a nicer guitar. My pick for the best under $700 would be the Martin D15. All solid mahagony.

You may want to also consider the colector / resale values. With the higher end Martins and Taylors, you can usually sell them for what you buy them for, but you are also talking the $1k-3k range. In my opinion, they do play and sound so much better than the $500 range acoustics, but beginners can't really tell the difference. One other fringe benifit is that you can always borrow it.

Dude, by her an ibanez. you cant go wrong, there cheap and they sound great. If she ends up not playing the thing later down the road sell it. If you look in the paper all you see is Ibanez guitars for sale( not meaning there junk) there just a popular name and easy to sell.

mndog75 said:
Dude, by her an ibanez. you cant go wrong, there cheap and they sound great.

No offense, but the only true part of your statement is that Ibanez acoustic guitars are cheap. They sound fairly decent for a cheap guitar, but are nowhere near the pleasant tones of Seagull, Martin, or Simon & Patrick acoustics... not even close.

That being said, I cast my vote for one of the following:
(...based on nearly 30 years of playing and recording just about every acoustic guitar you can name)

Yamaha APX5A Thinline

Really nice tone, perfect neck for a lady's hands, and high-quality electronics. These guitars are set up perfect right from the factory and mom will love it, guaranteed.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--YAMAPX5A

Seagull S6 with an LR Baggs Preamp System

Smoooooth, rich, mellow tone and exceptional playability. This guitar would be a keeper, for sure. You'd have to have the electronics installed, but you'd still be under $600, easy. Or, you can buy this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703320788

Taylor Big Baby with an LR Baggs Micro EQ System

Phenomenal tone, great neck, smaller (very light) body is a perfect fit for a woman... and of course, Taylor quality. These guitars are addictive. You pick it up, play it, and you won't want to put it down! Again, you'd have to have the electronics installed, but you'd still be well under $600 and the best things never come easy, right? ;)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/models/bigbaby.html

acoustic

You should buy what your mother wants, she deserves it, or am I wrong???

For other ocassion look for a solid top acoustic, stay away from electronics, the cutaway and the electronics inside won't let the mutilated body express it self!!!
The yamaha APX5A, as recommended by the above repliers, is very comfortable for the ladies hands, the body will fit her playing position too, is not that cheap and is, also, a very good sounding instrument, although, I wouldn't buy it for me.

All this is relative to each one of us, everybody has their opinions, so do I!!

Macpb said:
Hello,
I'm in the market for a nice acoustic/electric for my Mother. Personally, I'd like to buy her a nice acoustic, but she figures she wants electric too, since I have an old practice amp I don't use very often. She's had her eye on a 700 dollar Washburn, and despite the fact that it looks and feels okay, it just doesn't seem right. Firstly, and maybe not so important, she isn't a good player. She learn some basic chords as a kid, and just likes to strum and hum every once in a while. I can't, despite my efforts, justify the purchase of a 600+ dollar guitar for her use.

1) Your Mom will be playing the guitar, not you. She might not be good NOW, but a great guitar that feels like magic in your hands makes you want to play MORE. That's one way to improve. Play more. Maybe she's kinda twigged to that little fact?

2) Your Mom will be playing the guitar, not you. What seems right to you, or what you can justify just really isn't that important when opposed to what she wants. So hush yo mouf, and quit backtalkin' chile.

3) Your Mom will be playing the guitar, not you.
So make a day of it. Go guitar shopping and play a shitload of great axes. Do lunch. Have fun. Enjoy her company before it's too late. Then brag about how great it was so I can envy you, and wish my Mom and Dad were still around to appreciate.

Back