if you cant get a nice, distorted guitar sound..

ron82

..IT'S YOUR CHEAP-ASS AMP!!!

you may remember me from posts like: "unpleasant noise in my distortion" or "cant get a decent guitar sound"..

well for all the people out there (and most importantly, for me), i cant now say: it is NOT your fault!!!

lol.. i was spending weeks, if not months, on getting a decent sound out of my peavey 158 (1x8) amp, where the actual sound was build with the help of the (not so flattering) korg ax100g..
every mic placement possible, every EQ/gain combination possible - nothing worked for a nice, trebled distortion ála blink-182.. not even near a decent sound is where i got.

i was REALLY frustrated.

SO, kids, dont be like me - save youself valuable time and get a GOOD amp, if you want a GOOD distortion!

i had the pleasure to get a used MESA/BOOGIE STUDIO .22 :eek:

yea that wasnt cheap (im located in europe) - but OH MY, just to put the mic anywhere, play around with the knobs for a minute, and will just get a good sound, no matter what!!

guys, im sorry for this rather meaningless post, but i'm HAPPY :D :D :D

Its understandable. I remember my first time with a tube :rolleyes: I mean......I'm still talking about amps you sickos.

Hey I have one of those Rage's too, what's wrong with it? :D... It's a practice amp, that is all. Recordings suck with it, no doubt about it there. After a year or so messing with my Behringer, the realization is that this amp also sucks for recording, but considering it was my first piece of gear with lots of effects and a big speaker, that's ok. Plus it is really loud. :D.

So now I am using this J-station for recording and playing live, and it is much beeter than the above, but I can already see it's limitations. I'm not knocking this piece of gear by any stretch, it is one of the best investments I have made.

I need a real amp. :(.

badassmak
Hey I have one of those Rage's too, what's wrong with it? :D... It's a practice amp, that is all. Recordings suck with it, no doubt about it there.

reading my post again.. uh i really only talked bad about the amp - i was only speaking of recording purposes! :)

it works well as a practice amp.. :D

If you're not happy with the sound of your amp, you're not going to be any happier with the recorded sound of your amp.

but when i practice, i dont give a shit, at all :)

but when i record my music, for everyone to listen to, well then i want it to sound great of course..

those Rage amps are strange... most of the time, the only way to get a truly good distortion sound out of 'em is by using the stock distortion that's built into it... we were using a Zoom GFX707 pedal, using the VanHalen patch (heavily modified, of course), and it was rather horrendous through the rage amp... hooked up a 4x12 cab to it, mic'ed that, and it sounded noticeably better, but still, not quite right.

Yeh, but try telling some guy that comes into the studio that his amp simply wont cut it. I learned very quickly that you have to be painfully blunt in this area. I've had people moan and moan at me about them using thei'r own little crappy Carlsboro amp with 30 year old tubes in it. And most of the time i say im not going to waste any tape or time on recording THAT. And they always see sense once they've heard a decent tube amp. people who insist on using stomp boxes are a pain in the arse too, just sounds like an army of angry wasps trapped in a barrel.

Back