Ideas on escaping a creative rut and learning something new?

Good advice, all that. I know you said no time for a band, but could you find time for occasional jams? If so I'd suggest hitting some and listening for anyone whose style is
different from what you are used to/comfortable with. Get together with them and play together as your schedule allows. Do this with as many different styles as possible.

I had a similar problem some years back, and by sheer accident I ended up at a jam I would never have gone to had I know what it was ahead of time. I almost left early on, but one of the other players ask me to play some fill around his performance, and during that song I realized that I was learning in this other style (as I was playing). I spent the rest of that jam listening to each person's style (without regard to their competence). After that I had some good ideas of what other styles to work on. I could have gone to a record store and bought some music, but I doubt if I'd have found the energy/interest to really get into it.

Whatever you find that works for you, I wish you luck.

One of my favorite quotes is: "Don't die with your song inside you" (unknown source).

Assuming you are on this forum b/c you do home recording, you might want to work on recording songs in a different style than you are used to. In fact, you may be able to get tunes from folks on this forum and play on them. Just a thought. There are people here who are willing/interested in collaborating.

Assuming you are on this forum b/c you do home recording, you might want to work on recording songs in a different style than you are used to. In fact, you may be able to get tunes from folks on this forum and play on them. Just a thought. There are people here who are willing/interested in collaborating.
That's actually a great idea; collaborating has crossed my mind a few times, I just need to start browsing the mp3 forum and post a few things I guess.

Back