I’m struggling with my new Les Paul

IDK if it's harder to make a decent playable acoustic or if acoustic players are just generally more tolerant of crappy guitars. ;)

I literally use the same strings on my acoustics as I do on my electrics of similar scale length, so they're not really that much harder (or easier) to play. I suppose I adjust my playing style a bit switching back and forth. Can't really hide behind effects, and the dynamics are obviously different between a (completely) clean acoustic and an overdriven electric. All the notes and chords are the same, though! It's not some completely different animal. Good technique on one can and will translate with very little modification.

The OP was complaining about "playing the same old notes over and over again", and that is not a problem with the instrument, but with his skill and imagination more than anything. I mean, mindless noodling is mindless noodling whether you're plugged in or not.

Play along with some music you don't normally play. Steely Dan is one I use when I find myself in a rut. Miles Davis is also good for this.

Insanity is doing the same stuff over and over then expecting it to come out different this time.

Les Pauls are nice guitars. Spend some time with it (months, not minutes :) ) and see what happens. If you still don't bond with it, try some other electrics and find one you like.

I got my first Les Paul a month ago after 15 years of playing Jackson and Schecter primarily. At first it took some getting used to the fatter neck, and heavy body, the separate volume pots, the pickup select positioning, etc. But after a month with this thing, I can't f***ing put it down. I LOVE IT. Give it some time man.

i grew up playing some old yamaha with like 2" action and it makes moving to any electric is so easy and i guess i can't relate. the only hard part in switching is finding a nice place to rest the palm. sometimes my left hand will get out of sync too because i have to push down so hard on the yamaha and hardly at all on the electric.

Back