Humbucker pickup/ guitar question

gerard

Disclaimer, I'm a bass player, not a guitar player! My friend wants to sell me a Agile AL-2500 12 string Les Paul type guitar ( from Rondo Music) and he told me to make it brighter sounding, I should replace the neck volume pot from 500K ( that's in the guitar now) to 1 meg, lower the pickups, replace the cap(s) with a lower value (high pass?), use "bright strings", and replace the neck pickup with a P 90 type. Can anyone recommend a pickup with more high end without breaking the bank? He also told me Mahogany is a "treble sucker" and that's what the body is, along with a flame Maple top. Will be using the guitar in my home studio only. Thanks in advance!

Jerry

Les Paul style guitars are typically noted for their 'crunch'. If you want a guitar with a brighter sound, go for a different guitar!
How much is he asking for the Agile? They list for only $249.

I've had a few Agile guitars...and I didn't find them to be all that "dark" that you need to go through a lot of mods to "brighten" them up.

Heck...use the Bridge pickup...plenty bright.
Or...just use the tone controls on your amp to brighten the tone.

You don't need to spend money or get mod-crazy just to brighten up a guitar. If you really want to get something, I might recommend a boost pedal that is naturally bright and that has an added Treble boost switch. That way, you get the extra brightness....plus you have another toy to play with that can give you more tone/sound options. :cool:

So like...how bright are you going for?
I know we all have our prefs...but I personally am always dialing back the brightness on most guitar/amp setups...but that's my pref. :)

Thanks for the replys, I'll mess around with it when I get it. My friend wants $125 for the guitar, it has a few small dings and come with a hard case. Thanks again.

Jerry

yeah ...... you're after that 12-string 'jangle' I'm assuming. I have a 12-string with buckers and it's bright enough.
Like they said .... use the bridge p'up and play close to the bridge.
If you still need more highs a P90 would do it but it should be fine as is.

Back