How to play guitar like an Armistice...

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I was mucking around trying to work out my video camera and editing software and lighting and what have you, and ended up playing along with a semi-finished unmixed tune awaiting singing, as part of the exercise.

Then I thought for all the time we spend on recording and sound and amps and mic placement, we don't often talk about playing / techniques etc.

So I figure as I probably play a bit differently at times, and this was one of those tracks, it might be an interesting watch for some guitarists. Or not.:)

2:49 long, single take with a bit of editing zooming in and around via the software as I was trying to remember how it was all done...

I feel a series of self-help videos coming out in your future. :p

Oh...and why don't you get yourself a decent guitar if you're going to do videos.

;)

Yeah, nice LP. I had one something like that once.

I'd like to see some PiP, split screens and/or cutaways that covered the other parts that were obviously playing along with this!

yeah i was thinking the video was clear and good color, good lighting etc... good sound too.
impressed really. video and editing software seemed smooth imo.
interesting chords too.

Since I dont play guitar I can't appreciate the technique but I liked the tune ....I got a cowboy western feel....maybe a gunfight song ...talking in the one part where the dude tells his story about whats happening...singing in the chorus where he tells whats going on in his head philosophically...Just what I first came up with

This is not the lyrics this is the story...

He has to meet this dude at sundown
They stare each other down
They pull their guns and fire
he feels the hot bullet burn going through his chest
feels his warm blood seeping out
he sees the white light
He argues with God he isn't done
takes a deep breath tries to get up and see's his opponent is also laying on the ground
He falls back down and passes and as he is going towards the light he sees his challenger
who grins at him and and says I guess no one wins

All seems pretty smooth. Nice guitar.

As a baby's bum...

Yeah, nice LP. I had one something like that once.

I'd like to see some PiP, split screens and/or cutaways that covered the other parts that were obviously playing along with this!

If it was anything but an exercise in filming something I may well have done that - there's only one other part anyway, and it's mostly not there. Thanks for watching.

Very nice. :)

yeah i was thinking the video was clear and good color, good lighting etc... good sound too.
impressed really. video and editing software seemed smooth imo.
interesting chords too.

Thanks CC

Since I dont play guitar I can't appreciate the technique but I liked the tune ....I got a cowboy western feel....maybe a gunfight song ...talking in the one part where the dude tells his story about whats happening...singing in the chorus where he tells whats going on in his head philosophically...Just what I first came up with

This is not the lyrics this is the story...

He has to meet this dude at sundown
They stare each other down
They pull their guns and fire
he feels the hot bullet burn going through his chest
feels his warm blood seeping out
he sees the white light
He argues with God he isn't done
takes a deep breath tries to get up and see's his opponent is also laying on the ground
He falls back down and passes and as he is going towards the light he sees his challenger
who grins at him and and says I guess no one wins
Jeez TAE, kill me now if I ever do a song featuring cowboys!:D:D:D But glad it got your creative juices flowing...

I feel a series of self-help videos coming out in your future. :p

Oh...and why don't you get yourself a decent guitar if you're going to do videos.

;)

Says the man with 27 Hagstroms... :eek: In hindsight, I don't think that guitar is actually on the track, unless it's doing the extra bit. I had a Tele on one side and a PRS Custom 22 on the other - the LP was giving me grief at the time... hope you're well and back to your old annoying self round here... :cool::laughings:

Nice video for a show-off. :D I still play guitar like I type on a keyboard, the good ol' two-finger hunt and peck.

I would like to see what some of the other parts are playing. as well. the PIP or split screen stuff would be cool. And you're right, we don't talk much about playing technique. I can still hear Greg saying something about 'Wongo' notes in my solos. lol

Nice video for a show-off. :D I still play guitar like I type on a keyboard, the good ol' two-finger hunt and peck.

I would like to see what some of the other parts are playing. as well. the PIP or split screen stuff would be cool. And you're right, we don't talk much about playing technique. I can still hear Greg saying something about 'Wongo' notes in my solos. lol

I was in a guitar store the other day the guy at the counter was talking, he said he wasnt a very good guitar player.
Said he was working on the same song for 20 yrs,,,
I asked "what song is it?"
he replied "the gddd daaang it song" he strummed a couple bad chords and said gddd daaang it...

Thanks Chili - other parts? There's only one other part which is just there in bits to pad out the song around the verse/chorus structure...

---------- Update ----------

Cool stuff, Armistice. Nice approach, cool writing and chord changes.

Thanks Johnny

How did you spend your $200?:laughings:

For a guy who works in a bank, your math is pretty lousy. :p
I bought about $6k worth of new rack gear...but then, I already told you that awhile ago in my last PM.
I guess you can buy one more LP for that amount...maybe you can find a better deal now that Gibson filed for bankruptcy. :laughings:

Seriously...what did that LP set you back for? I seem to recall you dropped a bit of coin on that one. Was that one of their custom shop models?

What did you use for the video work...I mean, which camera, editing software, etc?

Last edited:
For a guy who works in a bank, your math is pretty lousy. :p
I bought about $6k worth of new rack gear...but then, I already told you that awhile ago in my last PM.
I guess you can buy one more LP for that amount...maybe you can find a better deal now that Gibson filed for bankruptcy. :laughings:

Seriously...what did that LP set you back for? I seem to recall you dropped a bit of coin on that one. Was that one of their custom shop models?

What did you use for the video work...I mean, which camera, editing software, etc?

The LP was $4k, which will seem a lot to an American but stuff is expensive here and that was a good price for brand new. We also earn more to balance it out plus I got a nice longevity bonus from work that I wanted to memorialise some way. Mid life crisis guitar.

Video was a Sony handycam I've had for ages and software was Sony Vegas which I'd really forgotten how to use, hence the reason I was doing it. I want to shoot some real videos at some stage later this year so I was just trying to work out a few things.

The LP was $4k, which will seem a lot to an American but stuff is expensive here and that was a good price for brand new. We also earn more to balance it out plus I got a nice longevity bonus from work that I wanted to memorialise some way. Mid life crisis guitar.

Video was a Sony handycam I've had for ages and software was Sony Vegas which I'd really forgotten how to use, hence the reason I was doing it. I want to shoot some real videos at some stage later this year so I was just trying to work out a few things.

Reason I asked about cam...I'm considering getting something newer. I have a pretty decent Cannon from the "mini digital tape" days...it's got a great lens and prosumer features, but it's not up to the true HD grade, though TBH, it shoots really good video. I also have a compact Sony (also uses the same mini digital tape cassettes)...but because of its compact size, the whole transport/eject mechanism is kinda quirky...though it too takes decent video.
I keep planning to start doing video stuff again (I spent a few years doing that at one of my jobs)...but it's not a priority.
AFA the editing...I use Vegas too. I keep meaning to upgrade to the current version...they keep sending me offers...but again, too many things in the fire, so the video stuff isn't a priority.

AFA the $4k for the LP...naaa, I don't think it's a lot to spend AFA gear money goes...I just don't drop that kind of coin on a guitar, but I had no problem spending $4k on my Focal Twin6 monitors, not to mention all that other stuff I recently picked up that I told you about. :facepalm: :)
My weakness is more for expensive guitar amps rather than expensive guitars...plus, Hagstrom simply doesn't make "custom shop" high-end, pricey models. I think if you paid full price for a new one at some high-markup store...the most you would spend on a Hagstrom would be like maybe $1700...and that would be too much, 'cuz you could probably find the same guitar elsewhere for like $800-$900.
I also bought a lot of used ones...so at that point, it's a buyers market.

Back