How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
jimistone said:
by "most expensive" do you mean "worth the most if sold"?

If "most expensive" means the highest price I have ever paid for a guitar, that would be $350 for a gibson SG (I recently sold that one for $300....It sucked...all SG's suck IMO).

Most you paid.. and I second your SG comment.

I guess I shoulda set a higher price range on the poll -- stupid me for underestimating the monitary dedication of people in this board :p . I guess I'm so used to not having money that $1500 seems like a pretty hefty price for a guitar. :eek: I'm afraid to start a "how much is all your gear combined worth?" thread.

I think the most I paid for a guitar was like $1800 if memory serves for my Les Paul Standard back in '95. Worth every penny, too! If you want to talk COMBINED gear purchases.........then again, let's NOT go there, 'cause I don't want to get all depressed and everything! (I just got my credit card down to, let's just say, a 'manageable' level, and I don't want to cry anymore for a while!)

my 2000 model Martin HD-28.............1869.00 plus whatever tax back then. New. They're a few 100 more now, like aroung 2299.00. I got mine from a small mom and pop music store.

Would you be talking about that handmade '66 Manuel Contreres rosewood classical I bought in a pawnshop in 1979 for fifty bucks? Sure wish I had it now. Or the '60 something blonde Fender Telecaster with the Fender / Bigsby tailpiece? I got rid of that one because of the monster hum, before I discovered soldering irons.

My current axe is an older Taylor 815C with the moustache bridge. I bought it used (and mint) and plowed a chunk into a full bore b-band onboard system; internal condenser mic and an undersaddle electret ribbon with a pure class A preamp, all installed on my dining room table. :eek: So I've got the price of a decent used car in it, I suppose, but it owes me nothing. :cool:

Ever hear of a tracer chip? :D

i only own one guitar. its an epiphone vintage g-400. i really like it. i WOULD be in the market for another guitar, but my aunt has started building them. she's an absolutely top notch woodworker, and her instruments are amazing. inlayed tops, 100% hand made. she's working on building mine, which i'm getting for free....we got a bunch of guitarists/guitar sales people to estimate the worth of the guitars she's already built, and have decided that somewhere in the $1500 to $2500 bracket is about right.

thats really fucking awesome juststartingout...did you head to nashville for it, or did you send them your specsand just have it shipped?

I gave them the specs from here. It took the 6 months from order date to delivery. They quoted me 16 weeks, but they had to make a new neck and had problems mating the headstock to the neck. Even with the cost and the time, I can honestly say it is worth it.

I paid $225 for a well broken in 68 Tele in around 1983.

Natural finish with black pickgard like Bruce Springsteen often played.

No idea what it would appraise for but I am guessing around $1,000....not the orignal case and the bridge was replaced with a 6 piece Tele bridge and the tuning keys were also replaced...tell tale scew holes remain but it plays and sounds great.

Custom built 4 string koa bass by local luthiere under $800.

Home made figured maple fretless with Carvin neck - invested around $600-$700 parts and supplies.

Cheapo Takamine acoustic.....I need to do something about replacing that next year.

jimistone said:
by "most expensive" do you mean "worth the most if sold"?

It thats the case, it would be my '66 stratocaster....I paid $150 for that one, in 1976.

If "most expensive" means the highest price I have ever paid for a guitar, that would be $350 for a gibson SG (I recently sold that one for $300....It sucked...all SG's suck IMO).
I paid the same for my SG (350 new w/HSC) and thought it was great until hard times caused us to part company. :(

And, BTW that was the most I have ever spent on a guitar in US Dollars.

$4800 for a hand built Conklin...15 years ago.
$2700 for a Custom Randy Rhoads in 1985.

The Guitars I kept the longest
76 gibson explorer $400 in 1981
77 Ibanez Iceman $400 in 1991

Last edited:
Back