How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
Way back in 1976 I paid $250 for a 1956 Les Paul, got no idea what its really worth but had no trouble insureing it for $5000. Most of the guitars I've owned were bought (or traded for) used so I haven't paid retail for many (3 new out of over 40, omg I've been playing a long time) Things I've bought new were generally in the $400-$500 range, but 30 years ago a $500 guitar would sell for well over $1000 today.

Ernie Ball MM JPM -$1500
Gibson LP -$2300

I didn't list them all but these two are my favorites in my collection.

Dani Pace said:
Way back in 1976 I paid $250 for a 1956 Les Paul, got no idea what its really worth but had no trouble insureing it for $5000.

If you would like to know, I would be happy to help out.

Post the serial number and a photo, or exactly what type of Paul it is (Goldtop, Custom etc) and if it is all original and what has been changed if anything.

I used to buy and sell vintage guitars in the late 80s and early 90s - consigned most of what came through and bought or traded for the guitars I wanted.

Godin LGX-SA - CAD$1400
Ibanez GB-10 (George Benson) - YEN90,000 (sold for CAD1400 to buy the Godin ... :D )

Had some deals in the past - my '71 D-35, I got for CAD650 in 1981.
'76 Tele for CAD425 (in 1978).
New EDA900 Bass very recently for KRW530,000 (about US440).

And they are all appraised for significantly more than that - at least when I move - so if they get lost in transit, I will be sad, but will end up with equal or better.

Epiphone FT-120 $1.00. "VAN HALEN" scratched into the soundboard below the bridge, thus more than doubling its value to $2.09.

Jeez...

You're all from the US, I suspect. I just paid the equivalent of $US2900 for a PRS Custom 22 stoptail (not a 10 top either) because that's what they cost over here in Australia - and that was a "good" price - recommended retail is about $US3800.

I paid the equivalent of $US2380 for my Maton Messiah acoustic and that's made here, and that was a good price too.

A Les Paul Standard will set you back prob, about $US3000 from what I've seen. US Strats are quite cheap, relatively speaking, however.

Street price on an SM57 is probably $US180 for microphone context.

Don't even start me on Neumann and AKG mics...

RRP for a new release CD is $AU30 or $US21 although popular ones are usually discounted by 20% or so at various stores.

Unfortunately there's nothing in the US-AU free trade agreement about cheaper access to US guitars - don't think it was a high priority in the negotiations...

There also isn't a large secondhand market over here either, so that doesn't help. Home recording costs serious money!

680 canadian for my ibanez ndm1, suggested retail is 500 american and 680 cdn is much less than that (speaking as a 16 year old of course, so 50 dollars to me is a huge deal)

I've got an American Strat that was $1200 (I paid $200 plus traded in 3 other guitars). I would normally not pay that much for a guitar (in particular an electric) but I really wanted this axe

The rest of my guitars are in the $400 range

My most expensive guitar doesn't even get played.. it hangs in a display case. :( (I'm not going to mention it's worth.. that wouldn't be cool)

I would like to say that one of my favorite and most played guitars is a Mexican Strat that I bought from AMS for $299.00 back in 1999. I changed a few parts and wha-la! Instant beater guitar that I can travel with and not worry about being ripped off. I even record with it from time to time! Not sure if all the Mexican models are this nice but it's a very comfortable and good sounding Strat. (Granted, Bluebear would beat me with it before he would let me record with it in his Pro studio but that's another story)

//AdrianFly

AdrianFly said:
I would like to say that one of my favorite and most played guitars is a Mexican Strat that I bought from AMS for $299.00 back in 1999. I changed a few parts and wha-la! Instant beater guitar that I can travel with and not worry about being ripped off. I even record with it from time to time! Not sure if all the Mexican models are this nice but it's a very comfortable and good sounding Strat.

//AdrianFly

i had a mexi tele that i traded my ryrthym guy some stuff for and it rocked i later sold it to a guy cause i wanted money and it matched his mexi strat my next one will be a mexi tele unless i fall ass backwards into a lot of money ...

my american strat though is my most expensive out of pocket guitar right at a grand

AdrianFly said:
My most expensive guitar doesn't even get played.. it hangs in a display case. :( (I'm not going to mention it's worth.. that wouldn't be cool)

Oh, c'mon.

I think it would be cool.

I'd probably hate you, but I still think it would be cool ! :D :cool: :D

by "most expensive" do you mean "worth the most if sold"?

It thats the case, it would be my '66 stratocaster....I paid $150 for that one, in 1976.

If "most expensive" means the highest price I have ever paid for a guitar, that would be $350 for a gibson SG (I recently sold that one for $300....It sucked...all SG's suck IMO).

I haven't bought a guitar worth less than $1500 (at least in 2004 dollars) in many years. My Collings was about 4k. The Tom Anderson was about 2700. The Martins, Gibsons, Fenders and Guilds I have are all above that mark these days. Good acoustics start at about 2K.

Back