Votes: 707 40.2%
  • 5-8 Variety is the spice of life.

Votes: 628 35.7%
  • 9-12 I'm a serious collector.

Votes: 160 9.1%
  • Over 13 Maybe I should open a store.

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
I dont know what planet you're living on, but Ibanez les pauls regularly go for 750 on evilbay. And thats for the post lawsuit models without the open book headstock and a bolt on neck. Gibson open book headstocks and set necks go routinely for more.

I wouldn't pay $750 for an Ibanez LP copy. No way.
$350 maybe, if it was in really good shape. You can buy a gibson LP studio for $600 sometime $500n and They are better....IMO....than the old Ibanez LP copys. I used to have one of those Ibanes LP copies....the neck separated from the body. Granted that could happen on a Gibson and probably didnt happen to most of the Ibanez LP's, but at the time I was pissed and told myself "thats what you get for not saving up for a damn Gibson dumbass!"

Those old japanesse guitars are pretty good but I never considered them as good as Gibson. But thats just my opinion. Hell, I just bought one and I really like it. But I paid $200.

I realise many people will pay $700+ for those guitars. I wouldn't win any bidding wars on evilbay thats for sure.

I wouldn't pay $750 for an Ibanez LP copy. No way.

People talk them up on forums as being just as good as LPs, and then suckers bid them up. I'd pay about $350 max for one in great shape that I could hold in-hand and test. Vintage guitars are a crap shoot. A lot of sellers on ebay have no idea how to sight a neck, find twists/humps/high frets, look for fret wear, know how to properly store a guitar (humidity/temp), etc. I almost prefer to buy new over vintage and just take the 40% loss when I leave the shop because it saves on headaches. I've begun to prefer new guitars over vintage guitars for many reasons. The only vintage gear I really love are microphones and Fender amps. Both are worth the risk and any maintenance headaches.

My strats-
1997 Sparkle Purple Jeff Beck w/ Gold Lace Sensors
2001 Emerald Sparkle USA Strat with David Gilmore EMGs
2003 Blueburst G&L Legacy w/ Seymour Duncans (Screamin' Demon, Duckbucker, Vintage Rails)
1995 Red Mexican Squier w/ Screamin' Demon and two Duncan Staggered
2002 Black Cort SP-3 w/ Screamin' Demon, G&L middle, and Vintage Rails, graphite hardware (fun decked out cheapie)
1991 Ibanez RG-770
The dark green Squier is brand new, plan on putting a maple Warmoth neck, and a Duncan Invader humbucker I have.
2005 Blue Squier Tele Affinity Series, cheapie but fun. Has a Seymour Duncan Little '59 mini humbucker. Thinking about a Warmoth neck for this one too.
And a few other random cheapies I plan to do some work to.

Strats.jpg
StratCollection.JPG

2006 USA Maple neck P-Bass. Never leaves the house, it's just for recording. Over 10 years old and still has the new stickers on it. Not a mark on it.
2006PBass.jpg

1998 Taylor 355 12-String.
1998Taylor.jpg

Also have an Ovation Custom Legend from the mid 90s, a Univox 12-String from the 70s, and a 2002 Dean Tradition 12-String, but no pictures of them.

The live rig:
1997JeffBeck.jpg

Last edited:
I had one strat and sold it because I strum so aggressively and wild that my hand kept hitting the knobs/hardware, and when I palm muted the bridge poked into my hand. It's a bummer because that guitar had a great neck. It was so fat, like Babe Ruth's baseball bat.

Wow Johnny, what a collection. Though I am more likely to reach for my Tele these days, my Strat is my oldest guitar and the one I will never give up.

My modest collection of five guitars:
Bentley Bass - everything about this is cheap and nasty...until you plug it in, it sounds massive - £30 from the local market!
1989 Fender Stratocaster Plus.
1992 Fender Telecaster Plus.
2016 Fender Telecaster Elite.
2002 Takamine acoustic.

I get confused with too many options...so I trade and usually have few.
I cheated and got a FenderRoland G5 that has a bunch of sims in it, yet encased in a familiar Stratocaster body. So thats like having a bunch of pickups anyway and a Sitar!

then the old beater Squier51 thats always laying around for anyone to pickup. (my fav)

Squier Bass Jazz 25yrs?

Takamine acoustic/electric....the electric never sounded very good , even tried the Neve Taylor pre, and still a LDC or SDC sounds better. So it holds no sentimental value.
My first Kay guitar with delaminated and rust is still here. Its worth about $5 on the street...but I learned on that one. 1977?75?

5 total

the son has about 8 or so but hes a lefty so we dont swap out. Danelectro, to Epi, Strat Squier, MIM, US, mini, unknown brand, 2 acoustics, ...

theres always one being repaired or strung up.

1989 Fender Stratocaster Plus.

My strat is also an 89 Strat Plus. Mine is that pewter burst color they had back then. A bit like Antigua, you like it or hate it. I went back and forth on the gold Lace Sensors for years before finally replacing them with Duncan Antiquity II pups, which sound massively better to me.

Here's my anti-Strat collection...:D...Hagstrom Swedes (and some Deuces at the end).

MyHagstromGuitars.jpg

Two electrics and two acoustics and a bass. Added an acoustic to the collection today. I tend to go for weird models or brands...like I have a Jazzmaster and Gretsch Duo Jet as my primary electrics, and a Guild Dv-52 as my acoustic (just bought this today to replace a really old Yahama...that Yahama sounds great but is a BEAST to play, and I want to save my hands). For whatever reason I'm not really a fan of traditional brands...maybe it's money. You can get more bang for the buck going to a less popular brand/model.

Miroslav, are you a billionaire or something? Can you write me into your will? I will take great care of those!

Miroslav, are you a billionaire or something? Can you write me into your will? I will take great care of those!

I am the most frugal, deal hunting fucker when it comes to audio gear (and anything else for that matter).
I'm not a tight wad...but I will hunt for the best deals, and haggle and research something good and long before I drop some coin.
If I was a billionaire...I would just buy stuff without considering any of that. :)

TBH...many of the guitars were bought used...on eBay...and again, always looking for the deal.

Like last year I picked up two Hagstrom Northen Series Swedes (one Swede and one Super Swede). The Northen is Hagstrom's most recent iteration of their reissued Swedes, made in Czechoslovakia, unlike the other reissues which are made in China.
They have better pickups, better switches, and better overall attention to detail.

Anyway...MSRP on them is like $1600-$1800 I think...authorized dealers sell them new for about $1000-$1200 street...used they go for like $800-$900 form the dealers.
I picked up both of mine on eBay for about $350 each...from one of those re-sellers who buy used guitars and refurbs in bulk.
Anyway...the guy didn't know what he had...he probably thought they were just Chinese Swedes, and priced them like that. Probably didn't even know there was a "Northen" version.
I grabbed both. :cool:
The Northen Swede I've been playing endlessly...the pickups on them are Lundgren Design (look up Lundgren pickups, their stock pups go for like $160 each). It sounds absolutely fantastic, and plays great.

The 4 vintage Hags I have go for whatever the market is at any time...but they've been selling around $700-$900 in good condition, and holding their price (maybe going up a bit). I've not lost any money on them.

So that's how most of my guitars and other audio has been acquired...though I've bought new stuff too many times...but always looking for the deals....and sometimes, you gotta just say "fuck it" and release the buck, even if it's on the expensive side...'cuz we only live once.

I've had a fairly good budget for audio gear over the years because I don't really indulge in any other eccentricities...I have no dependents...and I make a decent wage at my day gig. Not to mention, my studio addiction goes back many, many years...and shit just piles up over time.
Not trying to just brag...but I also don't deny that my studio is quite done up and an involved studio setup. It's been my lifetime hobby and pleasure.

Oh...I'll think about the will... ;)

Oh...I'll think about the will... ;)

I did read the entire post, but you saved the most important part for the end!

If you ever come across a guy who doesn't know what he's selling and you don't need/want any more, please PM me.

The short version of all that shit I posted above would be to simply say that I am a total gear slut...I love guitars, amps, recording gear...can't get enough. :)

Oh...I check eBay, Reverb...etc...daily. Which is probably the dumbest thing I do, because I often end up buying stuff when I see a great deal...but, that's how I find many deals, though sometimes you just get lucky...like being the first guy on a listing that was posted within the hour, on an off night...and it's Buy It Now time. :p

I've posted eBay links many times when I see deals that I think people should check out...especially in the Analog Forum.
Once I pleaded with one of the members (don't remember who) here to go buy an not-well-known 4-channel preamp (one that I already had)...because the seller was practically giving it away. I was tempted to buy it just because of the low price.
He bought it...saved me from buying it... :D...and then shortly after told me how happy he was with it....loved it.

Back