How to get that Stoner Rock Guitar Sound ??

charger said:
The neck humbucker is a good bet,

This is the ticket for the sound your looking for. A thick body guitar period (les paul .etc)

I would look at some old sunn transistor amps like the beta lead and stuff like that. They are cheap if you can find them.

For recording the tone I would use a senn 421 and or an sm7 paired up with a colored gainy mic pre.

THe first Queens album is awesome.

Also i hear alot of POD talk. It ain't gonna happen. You have to mic a cab for this type of tone if you want the real thing. I am not totally diss'n amp modellers but for this sludge rock there's no possible way. Not to mention if your playing this type of music, cranked amps with multiple speaker cabs is apart of the sound and the stoner rock image.

NoiseFactory said:
Jules,
"Buzz" from the Melvins & Fantomas, gets a similar tone through Marshall Amps, with his Les Paul, so there is no definitive set-up to get the tone that you're after, just keep experimenting.
Good luck!

Take care,
Tony

I believe Buzz has used several guitar amps through out the Melvins legacy.

rxQueen said:
a tube amp is not a necessity. it's good if you have it but look at some great guitar players with awesome tone that use solid-state amps. Dimebag Darrell is one of the few that uses solid-state amps both for recording and live.
Darrell didn't have a stoner rock sound. Nor would it be described as 'crunchy'. It's not really good guitar 'tone', it's more of a cool guitar 'sound'. That's the way he described it himself.

i get a nice stoner guitar tone, i use a les paul custom, usually i place the toggle in the middle for riff'in but for a nice fat solo i use the bridge pickup

the amp i have is a vox ad50 not a great amp but i can tweek all kinda of tones out of it, and a cheapo behringer compression pedal, i dont use any distortion pedals (just the comp and a wah) i use the amp sim's, the reason i can get these tones is down to guitar, IMO.......

Try a dual humbucker solid body guitar, neck pickup, tone knob all the way dark, buttloads of distortion and compression.

I can get a pretty close approximation of the QOTSA sound with the following:

Humbucker guitar, usually neck PU into a USA reissue Big Muff Pi into the dirty channel of my tube amp (it's a Crate Vintage Club 30).

I don't have the gain on the amp dimed, more like around 6 or so, crunchy but not really saturated. Then on the muff, if you set all the controls at about noon then play with the tone knob, you'll notice there's a point where it goes from total mud to just starting to show some teeth (as I think of it anyhow, the higher frequencies, the buzziness/fuzziness of the fuzz). The trick it to dial it right to the brink of that no-high-end/getting fuzzy setting on the tone knob.

Also, I sometimes have a gain boost in front of the Muff.

A lot of stoner metal guys tend to like old Orange or Matamps amps, or the american version which is Electric Amps.

gcapel said:
This is the ticket for the sound your looking for. A thick body guitar period (les paul .etc)

I would look at some old sunn transistor amps like the beta lead and stuff like that. They are cheap if you can find them.

For recording the tone I would use a senn 421 and or an sm7 paired up with a colored gainy mic pre.

THe first Queens album is awesome.
gcapel said:
Also i hear alot of POD talk. It ain't gonna happen. You have to mic a cab for this type of tone if you want the real thing. I am not totally diss'n amp modellers but for this sludge rock there's no possible way. Not to mention if your playing this type of music, cranked amps with multiple speaker cabs is apart of the sound and the stoner rock image.
gcapel said:
I believe Buzz has used several guitar amps through out the Melvins legacy.
Nice triple post there buddy...

as someone once said "Don't double post, but NEVER triple post"

As far as the thread goes. I get a sound sort of what you're talking about by a little overdrive pedal cranked up about 3/4 the way with gain and then use my neck pickup. Sounds just great. Of course you could adjust the lo-mid-hi stuff also to zero in on what you want....Basically what everyone else has been saying...

-Elliot

elenore19 said:
Nice triple post there buddy...

as someone once said "Don't double post, but NEVER triple post"

I don't think that that is what that "someone" meant. If posting three times with different content in the same thread is a "triple post", then I do it all the time. Sorry (not). ;^)

you might try an octave down effect too. not for chords unfortunately, but i think it could contribute well for riffs and getting that kinda tone. i wouldnt be surprised to find it on those guys' pedal boards.

Adam

I'll toss in my two cents. most of which has been mentioned.

This is my Fu Manchu setup

BYOC germanium fuzz face
Lester, neck pickup vol3/tone0 and bridge 10/10 all the time sound
wah
phaser
el34 tube head and 2 4x12 cabs. prefer greenback style speakers.
drop tuning, I like D but many are going much lower.

if you can't find a stoner sound out of that setup you need help. :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Orange yet... If you want instant stoner goodness, check out the Orange AD50, pair it with two Orange 4x12s or a couple of old Hiwatt cabs (hell, even older Hiwatt heads sound great for stoner stuff), drive it with a killer fuzz pedal, and you will be golden. Granted, that's looking at probably over $4,000 but it's the epitome of stoner bliss.

A key element to the sound of Kyuss is their tuning. They tuned down to C. As they put it, they were out in the middle of the desert with no one to tell them otherwise.

Back